Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

"Sadly the door sticker is quite unhelpful giving only the axle weights I did this research from the owners manual and this is a SS from an online tool I was using"

I don't understand how a "VERY pampered truck with only 28,000 miles" wouldn't have a readable tire label with payload statement on it. The owner's manual and "online tool" will not likely match YOUR truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #22
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
"Sadly the door sticker is quite unhelpful giving only the axle weights I did this research from the owners manual and this is a SS from an online tool I was using"

I don't understand how a "VERY pampered truck with only 28,000 miles" wouldn't have a readable tire label with payload statement on it. The owner's manual and "online tool" will not likely match YOUR truck.

Here are the stickers I have blacked out the VIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210527_234138.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	33847   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210527_234149.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	33848  
PatriotPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

So with a loaded for camping weight of GVW 4,400 Lbs. with a single axle trailer I'd use 14% as an estimate for tongue weight. So 4,400 X .14 = 6016 lbs. Add about 120 lbs. to that for a good WDH and you are strapping on around 736 lbs.. to the hitch.

Load capacity (when NEW, nothing added to the truck) was 1,263 Lbs. Subtract that 736 lbs. from the trailer and you are left with 527 lbs. of available load capacity at best. Subtract the weight of the occupants and anything else in the truck from that available 527 lbs. and see where you land. Of course, these are ALL GUESSTIMATES. Visit a Cat Scale and find out what you ACTUALLY have.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Pastor, Your payload is 1263 lbs. You are pulling a Keystone Bullet 1800RB which has a gross weight of 4400 lbs. A tested rule of thumb is that a travel trailer has about 13 percent of its gross weight on the tongue which is 572 lbs. Your Husky weight distribution hitch is around 120 lbs. Subtotal is right about 700 lbs. That leaves you just over 500 lbs for yourself and other passengers, gear in the truck, etc. You appear to be within safety limits but since you have a very short wheelbase, I suggest the trailer may want to sway some so just take it very easy and you might consider staying off interstates. I would also consider buying some LT tires in the heaviest load range you can find. I owned a Ranger many years ago and if I recall it had passenger car tires on it. Good luck in your travels!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #25
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Pastor, Your payload is 1263 lbs. You are pulling a Keystone Bullet 1800RB which has a gross weight of 4400 lbs. A tested rule of thumb is that a travel trailer has about 13 percent of its gross weight on the tongue which is 572 lbs. Your Husky weight distribution hitch is around 120 lbs. Subtotal is right about 700 lbs. That leaves you just over 500 lbs for yourself and other passengers, gear in the truck, etc. You appear to be within safety limits but since you have a very short wheelbase, I suggest the trailer may want to sway some so just take it very easy and you might consider staying off interstates. I would also consider buying some LT tires in the heaviest load range you can find. I owned a Ranger many years ago and if I recall it had passenger car tires on it. Good luck in your travels!
The truck is running a brand new set of Michelin Defender LT X I would not have thought that the hitch was quite that heavy but perhaps it is.

I am thinking to lighten up the camper a bit by reducing the water we carry by 50% and just adding as needed.

I guess that delivering the load of cinder blocks in the bed of the truck is just going to be out of the question
Old 05-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
Sarge2

You have a great attitude about this and I'm sure you will determine what you'll need to do down the road. These guys here have a world of experience and their advise is sound.. They know their stuff... Enjoy your travels and as I tell the youngsters around the department, be aware, be awake and keep your head in the game...but most of all be safe..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #27
PatriotPastor

While we are in here talking about weight etc let me see if I have the CAT scale procedure right

1 Weigh both the truck and the camper with me and whatever in the truck
2 pull forward till the back tires of the truck are off of the scale and weigh just the camper while still hitched
3 Unhitch the camper - and weigh it (I had heard you don't have to remove the spring bars but that seems wrong to me)

If I subtract (3-2) that will give me the trailer weight on the tongue

Add that to the actual weight of the hitch and it will give me the true weight on the tongue
Old 05-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Go here https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/, then scroll down to truck & trailer.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #29
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotPastor View Post
While we are in here talking about weight etc let me see if I have the CAT scale procedure right

1 Weigh both the truck and the camper with me and whatever in the truck
2 pull forward till the back tires of the truck are off of the scale and weigh just the camper while still hitched
3 Unhitch the camper - and weigh it (I had heard you don't have to remove the spring bars but that seems wrong to me)

If I subtract (3-2) that will give me the trailer weight on the tongue

Add that to the actual weight of the hitch and it will give me the true weight on the tongue
Here is the method used by a long time F150forum.com and Irv2 forum guru SmokeyWren:

You need to pass over 3 times, in varying states of trailer connection/disconnection to get all the pertinent info:

1. Fully loaded truck alone (loaded with all passengers/cargo for camping)
2. Fully loaded truck and trailer with WDH bars disconnected and in bed of truck
3. Fully loaded truck and trailer with WDH bars engaged

These three passes will allow you to get tongue weight as well as allow you to see how much weight your WDH is transferring.

To calculate these scale tickets when done:

Be sure all the passes over the scale include the same weight of people and pets and stuff in the TV and RV. And the "stuff" in the TV and RV should be everything that will be in it when towing to the campground. Tools, jacks, jack stands, campfire wood, toys, dutch oven, grill and fuel for the grill, food, drinks, enough fresh water in the holding tank to flush the pottie while on the road, everything. Else you're just kidding yourself.

Using CAT scale tickets 1] thru 3], add the weights on the front and rear axles to get GVW.

Subtract GVW 1] from GVW 2] to get tongue weight (TW).

Subtract GVW 3] from the GVWR of the TV to determine if you exceed the payload capacity of your TV. If the answer is a positive number, you're good to go. If it's a negative number, you're overloaded.

Subtract the gross weight of your rig (truck GVW + Trailer GVW) from the GCWR of the TV to see how close to the max tow rating you are.

Weight distribution: Note the differences in weight on the axles with scale tickets 2] and 3]. Goal is 20% to 25% of TW distributed to the trailer axles, another 20% to 25% of TW distributed to the front axle of the TV, leaving 50% to 60% of TW on the rear axle. If you're not close to the goal, your WD hitch needs more adjustment.

You will pay like $12 for your first weigh. The other 2 will count as re-weighs and will be at a reduced rate (I think $4 each). I'd recommend loading the CAT Scale app on your smartphone. It will make paying (done thru the app) as well as weighing (you won't need to use the intercom to speak to the weigh master) a cinch.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
The truck is running a brand new set of Michelin Defender LT X I would not have thought that the hitch was quite that heavy but perhaps it is.

I am thinking to lighten up the camper a bit by reducing the water we carry by 50% and just adding as needed.

I guess that delivering the load of cinder blocks in the bed of the truck is just going to be out of the question
If you are stopping for an evening in a Walmart parking lot or otherwise dry camper as you travel, water in your fresh water tank is a good idea. If temps may get below freezing, fresh water in the tank is a good idea. If you are camping where there are full hookups, not so much. I never travel with water in my fresh water tank and only put water in when we camp in the depths of winter and it might freeze my water hose which I hide until it gets warmer out in the morning.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #31
PatriotPastor

Quote:
If you are stopping for an evening in a Walmart parking lot or otherwise dry camper as you travel, water in your fresh water tank is a good idea. If temps may get below freezing, fresh water in the tank is a good idea. If you are camping where there are full hookups, not so much. I never travel with water in my fresh water tank and only put water in when we camp in the depths of winter and it might freeze my water hose which I hide until it gets warmer out in the morning.

Yes I agree and we will be dry camping a bit on the way to TX but I think to save a few pounds to not carry the full 41 gallons the tank will hold but say like 20 and just refill it more often
Old 05-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #32
wiredgeorge

What part of Texas are you visiting when you come down? It is a fairly big sized state. We live in the Texas Hill Country west of San Antonio in Medina County. The weather is starting to get a tad warm so at least your water hose won't freeze if hooked up to a spigot!
Old 05-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Come end of June there won't be any "cool" places in TX unless you're in a stream and a breeze is blowing or at the top of Guadalupe peak, with a breeze.....and a nice light shower.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #34
notanlines

George, not wanting to put the cart before the horse, but the I-40 bridge headed west in Memphis is still closed, and will still be closed for a month or more, probably much more. Might I suggest that you drop down to I-20 from Knoxville to Birmingham and take that across to Dallas. It won't be any hotter there than the I-40 route, and the wait to cross the I-55 bridge to West Memphis is murderous.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #35
PatriotPastor

Quote:
What part of Texas are you visiting when you come down? It is a fairly big sized state. We live in the Texas Hill Country west of San Antonio in Medina County. The weather is starting to get a tad warm so at least your water hose won't freeze if hooked up to a spigot!
One of the churches I am affiliated with bought an RV park in Thornton TX and my goal is to plant a church in the park! Classic country gospel and bluegrass music and down home preaching.

http://runningbranch.com/
Old 05-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #36
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, not wanting to put the cart before the horse, but the I-40 bridge headed west in Memphis is still closed, and will still be closed for a month or more, probably much more. Might I suggest that you drop down to I-20 from Knoxville to Birmingham and take that across to Dallas. It won't be any hotter there than the I-40 route, and the wait to cross the I-55 bridge to West Memphis is murderous.
Best advice yet! - Actually looks like Google Maps had already done that for me - I think we are going to hit some campgrounds and not boondock our way down that looks like some territory that BEGS for an airconditioner to be running
Old 05-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #37
InkedMarie

Welcome from NH!

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #38
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Best advice yet! - Actually looks like Google Maps had already done that for me - I think we are going to hit some campgrounds and not boondock our way down that looks like some territory that BEGS for an airconditioner to be running

My sis & BIL are moving to Texas from Del Rio TN and just went back to pack and took this route to avoid the I40 bridge. I suspect you will be able sneak south before you hit Big D to avoid that traffic as Thronton seems to be east of Waco some. BTW: Never heard of Thronton previously. You might try 79 southwest out of Tyler to avoid the big city traffic. May the Lord bless your ministry down here in Texas!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #39
Hballer21

Welcome to the forum..
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #40
Lymey

Howdy Pastor, I am the person that posted the video you showed. If you read all of the comments on the video you know that I had added additional suspension to the truck as well as having ordered the towing package from the dealer with larger brakes and a tranny cooler. I also have dozens of years driving heavy equipment, trucks/trailers etc. Yes the rear end was a bit low but I also had firewood and such in the truck and it was a short trip, about 90 miles. I did use the truck to tow to several locations but have since upgraded tow vehicles however if needed I would still use the Ford. All that being said you are planning a long trip. Lots of prayers, take your time and try to stay on flatter roads and you should be okay. It ain’t the best set up but can be done. Safe travels and best of luck!! God Bless
Lymey is offline   Reply With Quote