Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
dansc

add a leaf for truck

had anyone done an add a leaf to their truck to decrease sag? any thoughts on how it worked for you and ride quality?
dansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:58 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansc View Post
had anyone done an add a leaf to their truck to decrease sag? any thoughts on how it worked for you and ride quality?
If your truck is overloaded and not within safety limits I would upgrade the truck if possible.

If your within all of your weight specs and still have a little sag then I would get airbags to level the rig...it won’t increase your payload capacity at all.
The airbags will give a better unloaded comfort level.
Add a springs also will not give you legal upgraded payload capacity and will give you a uncomfortable unloaded driving experience.

And yes I’m sure someone is going to chime in about how they made their truck a legal 1 ton with adding springs and that I’m wrong but unless the person who installed them is willing to go to court with you and take responsibility of any bad outcome then I would avoid that route personally
Old 05-07-2021, 05:08 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

If you would share what make, model, year of truck and trailer you have it will result in better response. Most folks will add that info to their signature by going to the top of the page, click on "User CP", then adding the information anmd don't forget to save it. While this isn't required it does reduce the number of questions like this every time you post a question.

For your question also share what the load capacity is of your truck. It can be found on the yellow and white tire inflation chart.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
Canonman

You might want to look into the Timbren product. It effectively does the same thing as installing an "overload" leaf spring. I use the Timbren and find they work just fine as an overload option.
https://timbren.com/n-136-timbren-su...s-airbags.html
Adding an extra leaf, air bags or Timbren will not change the payload capacity of your truck but will help with any unwanted sag and help keep the truck level under load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1137.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	33435  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #5
dansc

its a ram 1500 laramie longhorn. dont have issue with capacity, really just a sag issue
dansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
its a ram 1500 laramie longhorn. dont have issue with capacity, really just a sag issue
No one here is doubting your Rams ability, but by posting the weights inside the drivers door along with what rv you're towing will help give you the best information based on others experience.
In the past I've had all 3 options mentioned. My 1st choice would be air bags with an onboard compressor so that you can adjust from the driver's seat, 2nd choice would be the Timbrens that basically lengthen the bump stops & absolute last resort would the add a leaf which makes the ride more harsh while not towing.
Typically if towing a rv with a GVWR of 7k+ a 1/2 ton pickup isn't what you'll need regardless of what the salesman may have said.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If you are towing a travel trailer and using a weight distributing hitch then there shouldn't be any apreciable "sag" if the hitch is set up corectly.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
B4Keystone

Well... I had a GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 ton. I got tired of getting people flashing head lights at me at night. For about 5 months out of the year, I would have a snowmobile in the back of the truck.
Took it to a suspension shop with sled in the box and said make it like sled wasn't there.
Lol
Truck rode great when sled was in the box... the other 7 months was like riding in an old buckboard.
Lol
B4Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
Blackrock

Install 1000# airbags in the rear coils. Add a Leaf ain't gonna work on your truck. I've had a them in mine going on 5 years now. Air them up when loaded and air them down when empty.
DEFUND THE WEIGHT POLICE

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #10
lunge motorsport

Here’s my take on an add-a-leaf vs the other options you referenced.

Per the sellers, the add a leaf increases spring rate to a heavier spec. If you don’t mind a stiffer, less compliant unloaded ride from the rear axle then they may be a fine solution for you. I would believe they will also change the unloaded ride height as well. As long as you are willing to compromise the ride quality when empty… Note that good shock absorber manufacturers take spring rates into consideration when designing compression and rebound damping rates.

I have a lightly used set of Timbrens, they were unbearable. My truck did not respond well to them. Under no load they are fine, and light initial contact with them was okay, but serious suspension compression was jarring, even audible through the chassis. They are very dense rubber and not compliant.

I settled on a set of Air Lift 7500 XL air bags with the onboard compressor. I chose the larger bags as I felt that they would be more compliant using a lower air charge to obtain my desired ride height. This set up works remarkably well for me. In cab adjustability, even side to side. I do not have a ride quality change so there is no compromise empty or loaded. I modified their installation advice so that they were powered through a lighted rocker switch and a separate fuse panel. I do not want them on when the key is on nor do I want a fuse tap and loose wire laying in my tow vehicles power center.

Cheers
Old 05-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
Blackrock

Another option for the Ram coil springs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTKF143...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Another option for the Ram coil springs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTKF143...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Here is the product description for that product:

TUFTRUCK’s TTC-1211 heavy duty rear coil spring kit was designed keeping TOWING IN MIND and is specifically engineered to significantly increase the rear end support and ride quality of your 2009-2016 Ram 1500 at stock ride height. The TTC-1211 was designed with the serious truck owner in mind to provide 50% greater carrying capability and or add capacity to the Tongue weight. This heavy duty coil spring kit is sure to give you the additional weight capacity you are, providing superior load support as compared to your OEM coils. Benefit: 50% greater carrying capacity and/or added capacity to the Tongue Weight. Designed keeping towing in mind.

This along with truck and RV salesmen are the reason some folks get in over their head on truck/trailer combos. No mention of any kind of weight limitation....just increase it by 50%.....really. In that event it would be (and is) irresponsible.

IF it was being used to "level" the truck....why? Those springs will crack your teeth when driving unloaded, or even with a small load. Put on a daily driver and endure that? Not me. Give me airbags any day.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #13
bbells

I second doing airbags instead. Easy install, adjustable, and last a long time. Many trucks are built with barely adequate springs.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #14
apachewolf

I installed the “Roadmaster Active Suspension Custom Leaf Spring Enhancement Kit”. Real easy to do. They are only engaged when the truck is loaded. Yes they probably cost more than airbags, but by the time an inflation system has been installed it’ll probably be the same. Besides you don’t have to inflated and deflate depending on load as you have to do with airbags.

Happy Camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
RoadToad

Quote:
We added airshocks and air bags.
Set it and forget it.
Couldn't be happier with outcome.
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
We added airshocks and air bags.
Set it and forget it.
Couldn't be happier with outcome.
Air shocks AND air bags? Are you that overloaded?
Old 05-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #17
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Air shocks AND air bags? Are you that overloaded?
Not overloaded at all.
Look at equipment in signature.
Big truck, little camper.
I am from the Space Industry.
I believe in backup systems.
Had both handy.
Used them.
Why would you chose to presume overload?
Old 05-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Not to answer for Marshall but you have a 21 year old 7.3 F250. We just had another thread asking how they knew if they were overloaded because the stats for those older vehicles weren't on the trucks and published info is questionable at best. In that scenario, and my own "looking around", there were some sources that said the gvw of your truck could be as low as 8800lbs and I saw nothing putting it over something like 9500? or so. That posters truck weighed 7250; I suspect you would be somewhere? in that range. Without scale weights we, and you, just guess.

Going back to those numbers (unknown to all I suppose) you payload "might" be 1550; read of one owner with a payload of 1300. With a 10,120 gvw trailer and a 21% pin weight that would = 2125lbs. pin weight....nothing else in the truck. By the time you added the things most folks take, including themselves, fuel etc., in that scenario you would be overloaded to a great degree....which then makes folks buy airbags and air shocks.

Not really an assumption/presumption, just an observation about an obvious situation that begs a question to help keep an owner safe. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Not overloaded at all.
Look at equipment in signature.
Big truck, little camper.
I am from the Space Industry.
I believe in backup systems.
Had both handy.
Used them.
Why would you chose to presume overload?
I didn't "presume" anything. I asked a question. Most foolks use air bags for leveling truck's, usually due to overloading or weakened springs. I have airbags on my truck to aid in hitching and unhitching and found that they also benefit in smoothing out the ride on some roads. I've also used airshocks many many years agto to level a car while towing a boat.

While I'm no rocket scientist I have been around a lot of vehichles and seen a lot of modifications over the years. I'ne never heard of using both at the same time. I would think that it would be a constant challenge to balance the air pressure in both systems to get the desired effect. I think of a "back up systems" as when one system fails the failed system is disabled and the back up system takes over, not both running simultaneously. But whatever makes you happy, it's immeterial to me.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #20
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not to answer for Marshall but you have a 21 year old 7.3 F250. We just had another thread asking how they knew if they were overloaded because the stats for those older vehicles weren't on the trucks and published info is questionable at best. In that scenario, and my own "looking around", there were some sources that said the gvw of your truck could be as low as 8800lbs and I saw nothing putting it over something like 9500? or so. That posters truck weighed 7250; I suspect you would be somewhere? in that range. Without scale weights we, and you, just guess.

Going back to those numbers (unknown to all I suppose) you payload "might" be 1550; read of one owner with a payload of 1300. With a 10,120 gvw trailer and a 21% pin weight that would = 2125lbs. pin weight....nothing else in the truck. By the time you added the things most folks take, including themselves, fuel etc., in that scenario you would be overloaded to a great degree....which then makes folks buy airbags and air shocks.

Not really an assumption/presumption, just an observation about an obvious situation that begs a question to help keep an owner safe. JMO
Actually I have the Specs and the scale tickets.
I'll dig them out, if I can remember where I filed them.
I belive the GVW is 9700 and Combined is 18,500.
Scaled all axles, no problem there.
Thank you for your concern.