Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Brent. I'll be calling them tomorrow.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #22
bobbecky

We had ours installed at a campground in Coos Bay, OR at a Montana Owners Club rally, and the installer came out of central Oregon. He also put on a presentation for our rally. Performance also sells and installs a variety of suspension parts and systems as well as the disc brakes. They contract out to installers all over the country for installs and also for warranty repairs. Our installer got this far in an afternoon, and finished up the next day in a howling coastal wind. I was tired just watching him fight the wind during the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new disc brakes.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	33601  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #23
Weldon

My Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes came in today, and all 4 look good with no issues. Installation seems straight forward (very straight forward) but I watched the e-trailer video anyway. On that video, they mentioned that you MUST replace the hubs if upgrading your brakes. I'm just replacing, not upgrading, so I don't see any reason I would need to replace my hubs. But I wanted to throw that question out here on the forum to make sure i'm not missing something. I did just replace the seals and repack the bearings, and would hate to have done that for nothing (other than experience). I ensured that I purchased the correct replacement brake assemblies for my original adjustable brakes. Total cost with tax was about $325 so not bad. They arrived in 4 days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210519_124134.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	33641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_124144.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	33642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_124208.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	33643  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

We replace backing plate assemblies without changing drums all the time. Just make sure your drums are clean.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We had ours installed at a campground in Coos Bay, OR at a Montana Owners Club rally, and the installer came out of central Oregon. He also put on a presentation for our rally. Performance also sells and installs a variety of suspension parts and systems as well as the disc brakes. They contract out to installers all over the country for installs and also for warranty repairs. Our installer got this far in an afternoon, and finished up the next day in a howling coastal wind. I was tired just watching him fight the wind during the install.

I've been visiting with them over the last few days. They are scheduled to be here on July 17. I could have gotten it done sooner if I had taken it to them in Norman OK but they only knock $100 off. It would cost me much more than that to pull it to OK and back plus renting an RV spot for a couple of days so opted for the home install. Also having cross members installed. I really want to go back to a MorRyde suspension which they will install but the Road Armor on this one is still in warranty so I'll wait for a while. Nice folks.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brent, you've got Performance Trailer Braking "coming" in about 6 weeks? Are they coming to you from Norman or ??? Was just looking at those and think I'll do it but was wondering where I would have to go to get it done....or Norman??
They have certified installers all over the country. As I recall, you come to Tucson some correct? We just had their installer in Cochise County install upgraded axles, 3 cross members, new springs, new equalizers & wet bolts and disc brakes. He has a "ranch" with 3 parking spots (30A electric & water) where you can stay for up to 3 nights while he does the install (only takes 1 day). We saved about $200 and got a nice little camping trip out of the deal. And WOW, what a difference in ride and stopping power. Something I should have done when I drove the trailer off the lot!

Best of luck.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #27
travelin texans

Had PTB come to me at a Arizina park we were work kamping at, it was a father/son team with the DIL packing the bearings while they installed the rest, all 3 did a fantastic job. While doing mine at that park they drummed up 4 more jobs for which I got $100 each for 3 of them for the referral, don't know if they still offer that.
Best upgrade I've ever done, well worth the $$.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #28
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We replace backing plate assemblies without changing drums all the time. Just make sure your drums are clean.
Will do. Thanks for verifying.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Check your seals very carefully... While there's a good chance they are still good, there's just as good a chance that you could have "nicked one or more" just pulling the hubs... Nothing is more frustrating than installing new brakes and finding out the brakes don't "grab well" so pull the hubs and find grease on your brand new shoes....

If you're careful, it may be "overly cautious" but you just never know.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #30
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Check your seals very carefully... While there's a good chance they are still good, there's just as good a chance that you could have "nicked one or more" just pulling the hubs... Nothing is more frustrating than installing new brakes and finding out the brakes don't "grab well" so pull the hubs and find grease on your brand new shoes....

If you're careful, it may be "overly cautious" but you just never know.....
John,
Thank you. I pulled an old seal and then went to Orielly's and found matching seals and installed them, but I think I probably ended up with el-cheapo seals. Do you or someone else know an example of a "good" seal for my Dexter 3,500 lb axle? Here are pics of the ones I put on. I'd rather find out they are cheap and replace them when I do the brakes rather than when some "less than admirable" person pulls in front of me and slams on their brakes. Plus if I did install the wrong ones and you guys can help me get "good" seals, it may help someone else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210516_115823.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	33646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_115813.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	33647   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_115828.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	33648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_115832.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	33649  
Old 05-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
They have certified installers all over the country. As I recall, you come to Tucson some correct? We just had their installer in Cochise County install upgraded axles, 3 cross members, new springs, new equalizers & wet bolts and disc brakes. He has a "ranch" with 3 parking spots (30A electric & water) where you can stay for up to 3 nights while he does the install (only takes 1 day). We saved about $200 and got a nice little camping trip out of the deal. And WOW, what a difference in ride and stopping power. Something I should have done when I drove the trailer off the lot!

Best of luck.

Thanks Brad. I was firming up today for a July 17 install here at our house. Looks like you did all the stuff I'm having them do. Having them remove the Road Armor suspension and install the Morryde SRE4000. My last MorRyde rode so much nicer than this Road Armor from everything I see. Hate to do it while things are still in warranty but figured why wait.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
John,
Thank you. I pulled an old seal and then went to Orielly's and found matching seals and installed them, but I think I probably ended up with el-cheapo seals. Do you or someone else know an example of a "good" seal for my Dexter 3,500 lb axle? Here are pics of the ones I put on. I'd rather find out they are cheap and replace them when I do the brakes rather than when some "less than admirable" person pulls in front of me and slams on their brakes. Plus if I did install the wrong ones and you guys can help me get "good" seals, it may help someone else.
Weldon,

I could be wrong, but those seals look like a "single lip seal" not a "double lip seal" which is used on the EZ Lube axles. There is an excellent video on the e-trailer website that explains the seal and how it functions: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...kaAhL8EALw_wcB

What you have might be OK for a boat trailer, but I'd be concerned with it on an axle with brakes. From the photos you posted, I don't see the spring that keeps the seal in place and prevents it from folding over against itself... Maybe it's the angle of the photos, but I don't think those are the correct seals. They are the correct measurements but not "double lip seals"...

ADDED: Here are cross section diagrams of a single lip and a double lip seal. The single lip (bottom drawing) is rated at 3PSI and the double lip (top drawing) is rated at 7PSI. That extra "grease retention capability" (greater PSI) is vital at keeping your new brake shoes "clean and grease free"...

SECOND ADD: The Timken 442251 seal (number on the box in your photo) is a "single lip seal" Check the description specs: https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/01308230
and the SKF 17146 is also a "single lip seal": https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/01299847.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seal double lip.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	33657   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal single lip.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	33658  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #33
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Weldon,

I could be wrong, but those seals look like a "single lip seal" not a "double lip seal" which is used on the EZ Lube axles. There is an excellent video on the e-trailer website that explains the seal and how it functions: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...kaAhL8EALw_wcB

What you have might be OK for a boat trailer, but I'd be concerned with it on an axle with brakes. From the photos you posted, I don't see the spring that keeps the seal in place and prevents it from folding over against itself... Maybe it's the angle of the photos, but I don't think those are the correct seals. They are the correct measurements but not "double lip seals"...

ADDED: Here are cross section diagrams of a single lip and a double lip seal. The single lip (bottom drawing) is rated at 3PSI and the double lip (top drawing) is rated at 7PSI. That extra "grease retention capability" (greater PSI) is vital at keeping your new brake shoes "clean and grease free"...

SECOND ADD: The Timken 442251 seal (number on the box in your photo) is a "single lip seal" Check the description specs: https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/01308230
and the SKF 17146 is also a "single lip seal": https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/01299847.
Thanks john. You're right...there is no spring. I found it on the others that I took off but not on those I put on my hubs. I'll order double lip seals. That's exactly what i needed to know. Only $20 wasted so I'm fine with that. Btw my hubs do have the easy grease zirk but i'd feel better knowing I had a better product installed.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #34
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
John,
I bought timken seals & grease, from Amazon for mine.

-Brian
Old 05-20-2021, 02:51 AM   #35
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I bought timken seals & grease, from Amazon for mine.

-Brian
Thanks Brian. Just ordered them from Amazon and they'll be here before my brake plate install on Sunday. Was planning on trying to install on Sat but I'm taking my 8 yo son to his first MLB (Braves) game on Sat, which is way more important (and fun). TT can wait til Sunday, but it now gets better brakes and seals.