Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
Following the tire "IED" incident of two weeks ago& the total destruction of my Hideout's left wheel well & surrounding areas I am looking to purchase 10ply replacements. Same size, but 10ply. From what I have read Carlisle is the brand to go with. All comments welcome.
I believe your trailer, 2016 Hideout 175LHS, has 5 lug 15" wheels with 205 75R15 LRD tires. Those tires, the 205 series, do not come in LRE (10 ply rating). You'll need to upsize to 225 75R15 to get LRE tires. Doing that will require verifying that your current "5 lug wheels" will support the additional weight rating AND the increased pressure rating.

Your wheels are likely rated at 2150 pounds @ 65PSI. If your trailer has steel wheels, the load rating is stamped on the reverse side of the spokes or on the inside of the tire bead. If you have aluminum wheels and 5 lugs, the wheels are only rated at 2150 pounds, not 2830 pounds and if you intend to install 225 75R15 LRE tires, you'll probably also need to upgrade wheels and possibly hubs to obtain the 6 lug configuration.

Do some checking and verifying... It's more complex than just installing bigger, heavier tires and airing them up to the sidewall max.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:12 AM   #22
CWtheMan
Senior Member
 
CWtheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe your trailer, 2016 Hideout 175LHS, has 5 lug 15" wheels with 205 75R15 LRD tires. Those tires, the 205 series, do not come in LRE (10 ply rating). You'll need to upsize to 225 75R15 to get LRE tires. Doing that will require verifying that your current "5 lug wheels" will support the additional weight rating AND the increased pressure rating.

Your wheels are likely rated at 2150 pounds @ 65PSI. If your trailer has steel wheels, the load rating is stamped on the reverse side of the spokes or on the inside of the tire bead. If you have aluminum wheels and 5 lugs, the wheels are only rated at 2150 pounds, not 2830 pounds and if you intend to install 225 75R15 LRE tires, you'll probably also need to upgrade wheels and possibly hubs to obtain the 6 lug configuration.

Do some checking and verifying... It's more complex than just installing bigger, heavier tires and airing them up to the sidewall max.
Adding to this, there are also steel cased ST225/76R LRF tires available should you want new wheels.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:42 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Adding to this, there are also steel cased ST225/76R LRF tires available should you want new wheels.
There are a few "heavier duty than the normal" available. The issue, I believe, is not the tire rating, but the issue is finding 15" five lug wheels that will support that much weight. Looking at the "realistic capacity", the trailer GVW is 3960 pounds, (shipping weight 3305 + cargo capacity 655 is 3960 total) Keystone built it with tires rated at 2150 each (single axle trailer) for a total of 4300 pound tire rating. That's "before the new RVIA tire requirements" and is barely over the actual trailer GVWR.

If the current axle hubs are built for 5 lug wheels, it's going to be difficult to find wheels that will support the 2830 pound/80 PSI rating of the LRE tires. It'll be even more difficult to find wheels to support the LRF "all steel 15" tire rating.

It's not that 15" tires with a greater capacity, it's finding wheel that fit the 5 lug axle hubs. If it had 6 lug axle hubs, there are a couple of wheels available and upsizing to 16" wheels is a possibility (provided the wheelwell clearance is adequate)...

Bottom line, at least for me, is finding 5 lug wheels that will support tires rated higher than 2150 pounds, which is the current 205 75R15 LRD tires.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #24
CWtheMan
Senior Member
 
CWtheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are a few "heavier duty than the normal" available. The issue, I believe, is not the tire rating, but the issue is finding 15" five lug wheels that will support that much weight. Looking at the "realistic capacity", the trailer GVW is 3960 pounds, (shipping weight 3305 + cargo capacity 655 is 3960 total) Keystone built it with tires rated at 2150 each (single axle trailer) for a total of 4300 pound tire rating. That's "before the new RVIA tire requirements" and is barely over the actual trailer GVWR.

If the current axle hubs are built for 5 lug wheels, it's going to be difficult to find wheels that will support the 2830 pound/80 PSI rating of the LRE tires. It'll be even more difficult to find wheels to support the LRF "all steel 15" tire rating.

It's not that 15" tires with a greater capacity, it's finding wheel that fit the 5 lug axle hubs. If it had 6 lug axle hubs, there are a couple of wheels available and upsizing to 16" wheels is a possibility (provided the wheelwell clearance is adequate)...

Bottom line, at least for me, is finding 5 lug wheels that will support tires rated higher than 2150 pounds, which is the current 205 75R15 LRD tires.
For me, this thread ended at post #17. After that I was posting to "what if" statements.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.