Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #41
MrRobalo

I too have a hard time moving mine so I has a 2’ Piece of 3/4 S/S all-thread . I then slip it through the top holes and run nuts up against the hitch to keep it from sliding . This way the wife grabs one side and I the other and carry it where it needs to go. With a lil Pratice you can slip it right in the receiver. Just my 2 cents worth.
MrRobalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #42
Bamabox

We have the Anderson. Only one we ever had with 2017 cougar 21rbs. Very pleased. Have a lock on the hitch receiver never take it off. Undo the chains hang them over the frame and done. Nothing to lift at all. Friction material on ball shank very effective at combating sway. 73 years old btw.
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:36 AM   #43
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Andersen WDH all the way. Light, quiet and clean. Mine with a three inch shank complete setup was less than 60 lbs. That includes packaging and the parts that are attached to the trailer. Hitch is only 20 or so pounds.

https://andersenhitches.com/collections/wd-hitch
I'm looking at Andersen for the same reasons. I hope it works as advertised.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #44
shrtmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
You are not 71 year old man trying to lift this thing.
You hit the nail on the head!
shrtmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #45
shrtmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartin108 View Post
I had a similar problem, being 71 with back and shoulder surgeries. The combination of the hitch grip and a trolley I built which locates the hitch at the receiver height has made it pretty easy.
Can you post pictures of the trolley that you built?
Old 05-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #46
shrtmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobalo View Post
I too have a hard time moving mine so I has a 2’ Piece of 3/4 S/S all-thread . I then slip it through the top holes and run nuts up against the hitch to keep it from sliding . This way the wife grabs one side and I the other and carry it where it needs to go. With a lil Pratice you can slip it right in the receiver. Just my 2 cents worth.
Can you post a picture?
Old 05-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #47
shrtmem

Thank. you all for the information. Lots of options. Many recommendations for the Anderson hitch. I know Anderson has a problem with their 5 wheel hitch. Has anyone heard anything about problems with a TT hitch?
Old 05-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

In all honesty Andersen hasn't had any problems with their 5th wheel hitches other than Lippert not wanting to include them in their warranty, which is more to protect their other product that does about the same thing (keep the bed empty) but in a different fashion. I've owned a couple of their products; Ultimate 5th wheel and levelers and can say I've never had an issue and never talked to anyone that actually had an issue either.

As far as their bumper hitch with sway I've never owned one. My concern was always the poly bushings used in the head and at the end of the chains. I've seen lots of "poly" components age and crack over time. I'm sure they are replaceable. Like the 5th wheel hitch, lots of folks own them and I've heard nothing but good things about them....especially the weight.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #49
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Your trailer is 9k gvw and a bumper pull (to eliminate the confusion about a goosebox).

I've never used the Andersen for a bumper pull and have questioned how the poly bushings would hold up over time BUT in your case it just might be the answer.

Looks like it weighs 51.9lbs.
My Equalizer weighs 56 lbs.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #50
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtmem View Post
Thank. you all for the information. Lots of options. Many recommendations for the Anderson hitch. I know Anderson has a problem with their 5 wheel hitch. Has anyone heard anything about problems with a TT hitch?

Absolutely wrong; Andersen has NO problem with their 5th wheel hitch; it is Lippert looking to get out of responsibility for a weak frame due to poor frame welds. Those without a front bedroom slide have had no issues that I know of. Much of the negative has been second or third hand... I heard this or that.

Sorry Danny, didn't see your post as I got a little flustered when I saw this guy claim Andersen hitches were problems.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo View Post
My Equalizer weighs 56 lbs.

My quote you quoted where I said it looked like the Andersen weighed 51.9lbs. came from the specs on Amazon (total weight of all parts of the Andersen). I believe someone posted the Andersen hitch "head" weighed somewhere in the range of 20lb. On the other hand your Equalizer "head" weighs 56 lbs. (mine says 57). You have forgotten the bars (heavy) and brackets which will run the total weight to 100+ comparing apples to apples.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #52
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My quote you quoted where I said it looked like the Andersen weighed 51.9lbs. came from the specs on Amazon (total weight of all parts of the Andersen). I believe someone posted the Andersen hitch "head" weighed somewhere in the range of 20lb. On the other hand your Equalizer "head" weighs 56 lbs. (mine says 57). You have forgotten the bars (heavy) and brackets which will run the total weight to 100+ comparing apples to apples.
The bars are 21 lbs each, total weight is 98 lbs.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo View Post
The bars are 21 lbs each, total weight is 98 lbs.

Brackets and bolts make it 100+.

Tags
hitch