Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
Boostdb17a1

Boondocking..

Hello yes I’m a newbie we just bought a Springdale mini 1800bh and was wondering what could be used to put a generator on the back bumper and have it securely fastened to keep it from being stolen and or lost when driving, also has anyone done a ladder on the back of one along with space saving ideas in the main storage
Boostdb17a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Sarge2

If it didn't come with a ladder you probably are not supposed to walk on the roof... If you don't have a hitch welded to the frame, that bumper is not a place to add one... Just in case... I'm not familiar with your TT but mine doesn't have either so I don't walk on the roof and I don't add stuff to the bumper..
I'm actually debating removing the spare from the bumper and welding in a hitch to avoid putting anything on that flimsy bumper...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
Blackrock

I carry two Honda 2000 generators on trays that I fabricated that go on the outer ends of the square tube bumper. Center of the bumper is a old style milk crate fastened with 4" U clamps. This carries a fuel can and blocking. Can't say for sure how it's going to work out as it's only been on there for 5 years and been to Alaska and back on the notorious Alcan Highway.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:58 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostdb17a1 View Post
Hello yes I’m a newbie we just bought a Springdale mini 1800bh and was wondering what could be used to put a generator on the back bumper and have it securely fastened to keep it from being stolen and or lost when driving, also has anyone done a ladder on the back of one along with space saving ideas in the main storage
As has been pointed out, I doubt you have a "walkable roof" so Keystone doesn't put the necessary backing in the rear wall to attach a ladder. One other consideration on the rear bumper besides the thin walled metal it's made from and that's weight distribution. With a single axle trailer that axle acts like a seesaw. If you go adding weight to the bumper it will reduce the tongue weight and induce sway that could become uncontrollable.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
The bumper was designed to hold your sewer hose, and not a very good spot it either, not much more weight than that. The bed of your truck is probably the best spot for generator, not the flimsy bumper.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Boostdb17a1

I thank everyone for the information and help
Old 04-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
Boostdb17a1

My sales guy said that I was able to walk on it with no problem I don’t believe that
Old 04-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
My sales guy said that I was able to walk on it with no problem I don’t believe that
Without knowing how much you weigh or how big your feet are (weight displacement) it's tough to "make a guess"... That said, someone weighing 150 pounds with size 12 shoes would cause significantly less damage than someone weighing 400 pounds with size 12 shoes... And NEITHER of them belongs on a rear RV ladder, swinging out over that "less than strong 4" bumper"...

So, your salesman may be giving you "realistic advice" (if you're the skinny kid with big feet) and he may be blowing smoke if you're carrying more than your fair share of previous Big Mac super-sized lunches.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #9
Boostdb17a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Without knowing how much you weigh or how big your feet are (weight displacement) it's tough to "make a guess"... That said, someone weighing 150 pounds with size 12 shoes would cause significantly less damage than someone weighing 400 pounds with size 12 shoes... And NEITHER of them belongs on a rear RV ladder, swinging out over that "less than strong 4" bumper"...

So, your salesman may be giving you "realistic advice" (if you're the skinny kid with big feet) and he may be blowing smoke if you're carrying more than your fair share of previous Big Mac super-sized lunches.....

I definitely understand you there. They sometimes will tell ya what ever to make a sale especially when ur a newbie tt owner like we are
Old 04-28-2021, 04:01 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I definitely understand you there. They sometimes will tell ya what ever to make a sale especially when ur a newbie tt owner like we are
I would not trust the salesman. Keystone CS may give you an answer. To John's excellent point on weight and weight distribution there's also they WAY someone walks to consider. Someone who "stomps flatfooted" will place far more force than someone "lightfooted" like they guy who you never hear comming up behind you to scare you.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:15 AM   #11
jasin1

Next your gonna tell me I can’t wear cowboy boots on the roof
Old 04-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Brian, you must have YouTube on speed dial.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Brian, you must have YouTube on speed dial.
I have a lot of time on my hands lol
Old 04-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
Sarge2

thats funny!!

I've kneeled on mine but had a 1/4 sheet of luan down to spread the weight.. putting the cover on...problem with that method is my roof isn't totally flat but sort of concave upwards like my inside ceiling is... not a ton, but isn't flat.. I actually low crawled more than kneeled.. wasn't pretty..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

When I move around it isn't pretty, no matter how I do it. In fact, I don't even have to move!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
cdotson

I put a bumper-mounted hitch on my 1800BH the first year we had it. Put a bike rack with 3 bikes on it. It didn't survive the first trip, but luckily we arrived at our destination with the bumper still attached and the rack and bikes still in place, if a little lower to the ground. If it was longer than a 2-hour drive it wouldn't have survived.

If you're going to be dry camping your fresh tank will be full and you might get better load balance by carrying generators in your tub. I always travel with empty tanks and usually have too much tongue weight; if your fresh tank is full and have generators in the rear you'll have to ensure you have stuff in pass-thru or under bed to ensure towing stability.

If the newer 1800BHs don't yet come with struts for the under bed storage by all means add them. I did and it finally allows me to get in there by myself without risk of crushing my head.

For the wardrobe cabinet in front and the overhead cabinet at the dinette my wife made shelves with firring strip and 2x2 supports and masonite or luan shelf to increase stacking space. We needed to divide areas up between 4-5 people's folded clothing but in general it makes the cabinets more usable.

I also use foldable plastic crates (InstaCrate) in my pass-thru. I have one with a heavy plastic liner for blackwater items and one on the other side for cords/rope/hammocks. I carry an EZ-up and outdoor carpet in between, but you could carry 2 more crates in the middle without other bulky items

Keep an eye on your A/C condensate. Mine REALLY wanted to drain inside the trailer. Finally fixed it for good last year.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Next your gonna tell me I can’t wear cowboy boots on the roof
STOMP is a fantastic show! If any of you ever get the chance go see it. We've been 3 times, taking different family members over many years.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #18
MarvnMabel

What's a generator!? LOL. The beauty of boondocking is the peace and solitude. Haven't needed one, won't use one. OTG with inverters is the way to go!
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #19
KarenK

On my previous 5th wheel my husband welded up a lock box made out of metal grating and angle and welded it to the frame and bumper. The generator was a coleman 1700 I think. I made a cover out of an old truck bed cover that bungeed at the bottom. Could start and run it while still locked up in the box.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking