Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
jaxglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Looking at the Keystone toy haulers spec sheets, it strikes me as odd how the new (current year model) toy haulers dry weights are higher than the older models like my 2010 405. Yet the carrying capacity is diminished, by a considerable amount.

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/fuzion/specs/

I suppose it's much like the tow vehicles having a lower payload due to the weight of the optional equipment. My 405 has a hitch weight of 2875 so I have over 1600 pounds reserve for everything else we carry, and since it's just me and my wife we don't ever approach the limit. The new models have hitch weights approaching 3600 pounds so make sure you take that into consideration.

Also, as Danny mentioned, look at the door sticker to get an accurate payload number. Don't let the sales people tell you what they want you to hear. F-350 duallies typically will have a higher payload than an F-450. The F-450 is a heavier duty truck but those HD components weigh more than that on an F-350. And also, a gas F-350 may very well have a higher payload than a diesel F-350 for the same reason. Lower weight. But towing a 40 footer out of Colorado-you'll need the grunt that the diesel provides.

You likely already know all of this but many don't so at the risk of being repetitious, do your homework. And let us know what you decide on! I get excited when I see folks getting new RV's and tow vehicles! I'm looking at getting a 2020 F-350 myself later this year when they start making deals to clear the lots for the 2021's. 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs sounds like fun to me! Good luck in your search!

The quest still goes on. Struggling with the tv decision. Ram , ford gmc drw. All have their issues and since it has to serve as a daily driver it makes the decision harder. Would love to stay in the 2500/250 family but momma wants a big *** rv. I just want an bed and place to haul my roadglide.
When will the 2021 hit the lots ? I haven’t owned a ford since 2003.
jaxglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglide View Post
The quest still goes on. Struggling with the tv decision. Ram , ford gmc drw. All have their issues and since it has to serve as a daily driver it makes the decision harder. Would love to stay in the 2500/250 family but momma wants a big *** rv. I just want an bed and place to haul my roadglide.
If you're looking at new toyhaulers, the 2021's will start hitting the lots probably next month or shortly after that: March/April time frame.

If you're looking at new trucks, the 2021's won't be out until September/October time frame. There may be a "mid-year introduction" of a specialty truck, similar to the Tremor introduction or the Bronco introduction at "mid-year". Ford typically tries to keep the "interest peaked" by introducing something every 6 months or so. Often, when they introduce a "new model at mid-year" they will also introduce a new options package on the older models, so you might get the "Ford Technology 360" system introduced on the SuperDuty line or something like that at "mid-year".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglide View Post

I bought the 3500 I have now the last day or so of Dec. It is a 2019 and I wanted a 2020. They wouldn't even take an order for one and said it would probably be March before anyone would see one....a 2020 Ram, so it will be a good while before the 2021s come out I imagine. I don't know about the Ford or GM products.

As far as the trucks and drw here's my thinking; I had 1/2 ton trucks all my life beginning with my 1st 1959 Ford (loved it). I never wanted a 3/4 ton or larger. I drove 3/4s at work, a drw from time to time and some larger trucks. The 3/4s and 1 ton were Dodges and would beat you to death - hence I never wanted one. In 2014 I decided I had to get a 3/4 because I didn't like towing this trailer with a 1/2 ton - I was overloaded and knew it going in. I figured I would hate it but deal with it because of the trailer. Instead, I loved it...REALLY loved it. I'm now in a 1 ton and was worried about the ride...heck, it's better than the 3/4. All that said to say this; many on here have duallys and love them. I don't think I've read a word negative about them or that they are terrible to drive, have a harsh ride etc. If it weren't for the fact that I insist on my truck being in my garage and a dually won't fit I would probably have opted for one this go round and gotten a larger new trailer...but that is not to be. So, IMO I wouldn't worry about the drw being your daily driver unless the size is in some way restrictive for you. Good luck in finding what fits.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote