Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
1av8tr

Question

Hello, somewhat of a newbie here. I have a question. I am planning on doing wheel bearing maintenance on my 2018 Bullet 272 BHS. It has a spread axle and was wondering if those trailer aid ramps work on a spread axle?

I did a search on this site and everything seems to address a trailer with "normal" distance between the front and rear axles. (Not spread axles).

Additionally, I am not too confident with using a bottle jack with a small surface on the jacking part of the bottle jack and putting it on the frame (another slippery surface). Is there a way to jack the trailer up safely? I have 6 ton jack stands that I plan on putting under the frame as well, but even the jack stands don't have much contact surface when placed under the frame.

I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!
1av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

You have to have some confidence in jacks and stands. What type of surface there used on will play a big part in how safe they are. I have no problems jacking and supporting the trailer. Or for that matter any other vehicle I have now or in the past. I use at least 1 item as in another jack or stand as backup. As anything jacked up, no one will be in in to cause movement and I do not get under anything that if the jacks/stands fail I will not be crushed. A simple piece of 2x4 or 2x6 will make a bigger foot print support when used correctly. Only remove and work on 1 wheel at a time. Bottom line if it seems too unsafe for you. Pay someone to do the work.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
1av8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
You have to have some confidence in jacks and stands. What type of surface there used on will play a big part in how safe they are. I have no problems jacking and supporting the trailer. Or for that matter any other vehicle I have now or in the past. I use at least 1 item as in another jack or stand as backup. As anything jacked up, no one will be in in to cause movement and I do not get under anything that if the jacks/stands fail I will not be crushed. A simple piece of 2x4 or 2x6 will make a bigger foot print support when used correctly. Only remove and work on 1 wheel at a time. Bottom line if it seems too unsafe for you. Pay someone to do the work.
Thank you for the prompt reply.
1av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
travelin texans

The Trailer Aid will not work on the spread axles, so save your $$$.
Place your jack between the u bolts connecting the axles to the springs with a piece of 2x4 on top of the jack for stability then use your jack stands under the frame. DO NOT place jack or stands past the u bolts towards the center of the axle anywhere, damage will occur.
Been doing it this way for well over 40 years.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote