Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Kalalaubeach

Trickle Charger and Winter Battery Questions

New to this and going through our first winter. Bought our 2013 238ML Ultra Lite Passport used from the original owner this Summer. One of the first things we had to do was replace the two batteries.

I was hoping for suggestions on how to care for them through the winter. The trailer is stored in our driveway and plugged in to power with a cover.

Is it ok to leave the batteries on the trailer?

If not, should they be placed on a charger? A trickle charger or some other kind?

Can anyone recommend a good charger...brand, model #, etc.? I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg but the batteries weren’t cheap and I want to make sure I’m taking good care of them so they last.

Is it possible to buy one charger that will allow me to hook up both batteries at the same time or will I need to purchase one charger for each battery?

Finally, if the batteries are removed for the winter, is it still okay and recommended to leave the trailer plugged in to power?

Thank you!
Kalalaubeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If your converter/charger is working properly it should maintain your batteries just fine. Remember to check electrolyte levels every month or so and top off with distilled water only. If you do decide to remove the batteries, be sure to use a battery maintainer not just a charger. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your plugged into shore power its ok to leave the batteries installed, be sure to check the water level in the cells every month. If you do remove them and leave it plugged in, then you need to cover the positive lead so it doesn't ground out against the frame. I personally wouldn't cover the trailer, I would leave a roof vent just cracked open for moisture to escape. Covers can cause more issues than they prevent but that's just MHO

BTW: welcome to the forum

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
Canonman

I've always removed the batteries and stored them in the garage. Outside temps here can get into the single digits and below so moving the batteries into the garage just made sense to me. I use a Battery Tender:https://www.superje.com/products/vol...tran-tender-12
battery maintainer. Like Chuck suggested, periodically check the water levels.
I do use a cover on the Cougar for winter storage so removing the batteries makes checking them much easier. Plus, using the Battery Tender eliminates any off season wear and tear on the converter. I'd rather replace a $24 maintainer than the more expensive converter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Cottonwood Winter (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	24248  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
roadglide

I have been using a three amp trickle charger for three AGM batteries for over two years keeping the batteries at 90 percent with the disconnect switch off . I believe being plugged in to shore power uses more energy and wears the converter more then a 3 amp trickle charger .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I pull our batteries and keep them on the workbench in my shop. I connect to a Deltran Battery Tender and it keeps them fresh and ready for the spring.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #7
Lee

What Chuckster said ^^^^^

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, winter