Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Dan

Avalanche 290 RL

Would the Avalanche 290 RL be an ok match for our 2011 F250 SC diesel. It is a bit heavier than the other trailers we are considering but it is so nice its hard to get the wife to look at much else. What are you pulling them with? Thanks, Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Idaho Avalanche

We purchased our Avalanche 290RL in May. I'm pulling it with an 04 Dodge 3500 Dually. Our Avalanche loaded weight is 11,000 pounds. Hitch weight is 2,100.
Check the towing capacity and total Gross Combined Weight of your Ford. I would guess your truck about 6,500 pounds.

We love the Avalanche. Only minor bugs which Camping World/Keystone is taking their sweet time in getting fixed. Prior to the Avalanche we had an 05 Montana 2955RL. The Avalanche is a step up from that. Once my wife saw the Avalanche she was done shopping as well.

Good Luck

2011 Avalanche 290RL/ 04 Dodge 3500
Idaho Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Dan

I'm sure your dually handles it fine. By the rating we would ok but it is heavy. Maybe the dealer will let us hook up to it and see how it feels. Guess it depends how much they want to sell a 2011 when the 2012 models are on the lot. It's nicer than anything else in the price range.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
hikeril

Dan, did you buy the 290rl. My wife was the same way, she loved it so we bought it. I am pulling with a 2011 F250 and have weighed the camper empty, packing with our stuff and weighed my truck. Will eventually need to purchase a f350 because of GVW limits. Overall the f250 does do a nice job pulling the trailer.
hikeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
captbru

Check the cargo wgt your truck can haul. Should be a plate on the door post somewhere. My GMC 2500HD has a cargo wgt of 2785lbs. Once you have that wgt then you need to subtract the hitch wgt of the trailer and anything else going into the truck. Items like fuel, wgt of the hitch in trk bed, passengers etc etc. Then you will have the answer to the question.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
captbru

Didn't look at the date on the orginal post. If you bought the Avalanche I'm sure your enjoying it. We had looked at a 326 Avalanche the hitch wgt was to much.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
Seagull

We purchased our 290RL last Nov (2010) We have a Ram 3500 4x4 with the Cummins and have no problems pulling. Our problem is uneven tire ware. The unit seems to be much heaver on the right side causing the axles to move closer (due to the hanger system) on the right side. This causes excess ware on the outside of the right rear and inside of the left rear. We have Dexter axles and Lippert equlizers. Lippert and Dexter both say it is due to unequal load side to side, Keystone says it is due to towing slightly high in the front. (towing with the 4x4)
Does any one else have a simuler problem?
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
We purchased our 290RL last Nov (2010) We have a Ram 3500 4x4 with the Cummins and have no problems pulling. Our problem is uneven tire ware. The unit seems to be much heaver on the right side causing the axles to move closer (due to the hanger system) on the right side. This causes excess ware on the outside of the right rear and inside of the left rear. We have Dexter axles and Lippert equlizers. Lippert and Dexter both say it is due to unequal load side to side, Keystone says it is due to towing slightly high in the front. (towing with the 4x4)
Does any one else have a simuler problem?
Don't rule out alignment of the TT's axles and wheels. It is possible that things are not square and true which would account for rapid, uneven tire wear.

If you are handy, I can supply a link to a rather detailed thread on this issue. If not, then any good repair shop should be able to check this.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Seagull

I have made all dimentional checks requested by Keystone and Dexter.
The axles are closer together at the end by 1/2 in. and the axle is closer to the frame by 1/4 in on that side. With the spring hangers fixed at the front of the front axle and fixed at the back of the back axle, weight tends to bring the axles closer togather on the heavier side. The measurements to the front axle hangers from the pen are good.
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
CampingNut18

We have the Avalanche 340TG and it's a monster. We really do love it - it has everything that we wanted including the outdoor kitchen. We went to a weigh station at a truck stop and weighed ours. It's a bit close but gives you a good idea of what the trailer will be loaded along with a full tank of gas and passengers. We were within a couple thousand of our max.
CampingNut18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
tiewire

I don't understand why everyone gets worried about gvw. A 3/4 ton will pull and stop just as good as a 1 ton. If you own a 3/4 and are concerned about dot or insurance just license you rig to 30k lbs, it doesn't cost that much more and is better than going and buying a new truck just to pull your trailer. I talked to a dot inspector and insurance about this issue and both told me it is more about money not safety. yes your truck will pull the trailer just fine.
tiewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiewire View Post
I don't understand why everyone gets worried about gvw. A 3/4 ton will pull and stop just as good as a 1 ton. If you own a 3/4 and are concerned about dot or insurance just license you rig to 30k lbs, it doesn't cost that much more and is better than going and buying a new truck just to pull your trailer. I talked to a dot inspector and insurance about this issue and both told me it is more about money not safety. yes your truck will pull the trailer just fine.
GVW of the truck matters because of the heavier pin weights of the larger trailers. No matter how you try to spin it, overloading a truck beyond its max payload is bad juju.

Licensing a truck for more weight than it is capable of carrying won't stop the truck from breaking under the excess weight. It won't protect you from liability if you get in an accident either.

DOT inspectors and insurance guys don't have a clue about safe RV towing. The insurance guys will only care if you get in an accident and are overloaded. Then you may find yourself in the rather awkward situation of discovering that your insurance might not cover you if you are intentionally overloaded.

Yup, a 3/4 will probably pull and stop pretty much the same as a 1 ton, but it sure will not carry as much weight. So when you are looking at a pin weight in excess of 2,000 pounds, a 3/4 ton is not the truck for the job.

Ask any police officer if overloading a truck is the right thing to do. They'll tell you it is a guaranteed traffic ticket just like unsafe load.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

tiewire wrote:
"I don't understand why everyone gets worried about gvw."

Well, I don't understand why everyone shouldn't be concerned about their safety and the safety of others on the highway. Does filing a false statement on one's licence and saying that it is ok up to 30k lbs make that rig safe? Does saving a few bucks by making a false declaration justify not having a TV that will safely pull your TT? But apparently safety has nothing to do with this as it is "all about money".
If you are going to buy a big, heavy rig then you should be prepared to buy something big enough to tow it - not only "just fine" but also safely. If not, then buy a smaller, lighter RV.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
tiewire

steve, it looks like you drive a dodge? did you know that the only difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton dodge is the 1 ton has over load springs. now how can you tell me that my truck will break and yours won't just because the sticker says it can handle more weight. If you license to a higher gvw than your insurance WILL cover everything because it is looked at by the state to handle the weight you license it at. I am not here to argue about whose truck can haul what, i want to give people info so if they don't go buy a brand new rig if they don't have to.
tiewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
SteveC7010

Quote:
steve, it looks like you drive a dodge? did you know that the only difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton dodge is the 1 ton has over load springs. now how can you tell me that my truck will break and yours won't just because the sticker says it can handle more weight. If you license to a higher gvw than your insurance WILL cover everything because it is looked at by the state to handle the weight you license it at. I am not here to argue about whose truck can haul what, i want to give people info so if they don't go buy a brand new rig if they don't have to.
If you look at any truck manufacturer's specs there is virtually no difference between a SRW 3/4 and a SRW 1 ton truck. They both have about the same payload and towing capacities. You are right, they are pretty much the same vehicle within a few hundred pounds of capacity.

But when you go to a dual rear wheel truck, the numbers increase dramatically for both towing and payload. Pure undisputable fact is that you can only place so much load on each tire. Nothing can change that. It is what it is. That's why duallies have much higher load ratings over single rear wheel trucks.

And that's how I can tell you that my DRW 1 ton can carry a lot more than your SRW 3/4 ton. If I place 3,000 pounds of pin weight on your 3/4 ton, you're pretty much maxed out counting the driver and some gear in the truck. The same 3,000 pounds of pin weight plus driver and gear in my duallie still leaves a whole bunch of remaining capacity.

Licensing a truck beyond its actual load ratings accomplishes nothing. And it certainly does nothing to change what the truck can actually do. To believe otherwise is, well, just plain wrong.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
jje1960

3/4 vs 1 Ton

Quote:
So all the manufactures charts are just BS??? A 1 ton will not stop or control any better than a 3/4 ton? I'm finding this hard to believe and just trying to understand this better.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
Outbackmel

Proper truck

If you overload your RV/TV and break an axle and lose control. both YOU and the vehice manufacturer will likely be sued. Once it is determined YOU violated the limitations, guess what will happen next?! YOU LOSE. The "ambulance chaser attorneys" will pursue the manufacturer for things such as needing a larger print specification disclosure. It becomes almost 2 separate issues. Corporate lawyers are "fierce" in defending manufacturers since recalls are very expensive.

It's not about what is "told" to someone.....it's all about specs and your ability to prove your innocence. In the USA; it seems you are GUILTY and tried by the media until YOU prove otherwise. These types of cases are all about the deepest pockets and who can PAY.....

Make a sound decision and not worry.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
f6bits

Hold on. I need to get me some popcorn. Be right back to watch the flame fest.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
jje1960

Yea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Hold on. I need to get me some popcorn. Be right back to watch the flame fest.
Yup, your right, been quite the entertainment lately with tow specs....
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Yup, your right, been quite the entertainment lately with tow specs....
I'm with you! Sure wish I had some bridges to sell right now.