Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
RCrawler

Slideout bumper/ bike rack questions

I have read about numerous problems with the weld failures on the bumpers. Is this specifically the welds from the bumper to the slider frame or is the slideout frame itself also having issues?

I removed the spare and have added a bolt on bike rack to the bumper as the factory rack didn't really work that well. So far it seems to be holding up just fine.

Since the factory bumper is so thin, I've thought about cutting it off and replacing it with a thicker wall material.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
therink

Hi
I have a 4 bike rack on my bumper (let the flames begin). My frame/bumper welds are good. To reinforce the bumper tube, I placed 1/8" pieces of flat stock steel between the bumper tube and the rack mounting brackets. The rack is completely secure with zero movement whatsoever. I carry three bikes on it. I generally travel with other campers and have been told that the rack does not move when traveling down the road.
I also removed the piece of junk spare tire holder and keep the spare in the back of the truck.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
THedges

I carry a generator on the bumper and have had no problems. The thing you want to avoid is twisting. To help with that I have a support from the back of the generator box to the back of the generator.

I would recommend checking for stress cracks each trip.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
CampJKL

We found out real quick the spare Factory welds are lacking! And I'm not too impressed with the bike slide out myself. About two mountain bikes is about all I get on the thing. I'm looking at options on the spare and considering re-enforcing the whole thing. I might end up putting the bikes on the front of the beast (Dodge )
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I just had a 2" receiver installed on my Springdale. Like everyone, I was concerned about the 4" bumper strength. The machine shop/metal fabrication shop that did my installation welded a 2" square tube to span the frame about 24" forward of the back of the frame. Then they welded a 1/8" thick 4" angle to the bottom and front (next to the trailer) of the square bumper. It spans the space from frame member to frame member. They welded gussets to that angle to reinforce it and prevent any lateral movement. Then they welded the receiver tube to the bottom of the new angle and to the span 24" forward. I couldn't get any movement with the cargo carrier installed by jumping on it. I know my 200 lbs is nothing compared to a 150 lbs of cargo bouncing along at 65 MPH, but I feel pretty secure that nothing is going to break loose. They did find a couple of poorly penetrated welds on the bumper extensions and one cracked weld on a crossmember. Repaired them for me "complimentary" so they said.... Hmmmm anyway..... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I just had a 2" receiver installed on my Springdale. Like everyone, I was concerned about the 4" bumper strength. The machine shop/metal fabrication shop that did my installation welded a 2" square tube to span the frame about 24" forward of the back of the frame. Then they welded a 1/8" thick 4" angle to the bottom and front (next to the trailer) of the square bumper. It spans the space from frame member to frame member. They welded gussets to that angle to reinforce it and prevent any lateral movement. Then they welded the receiver tube to the bottom of the new angle and to the span 24" forward. I couldn't get any movement with the cargo carrier installed by jumping on it. I know my 200 lbs is nothing compared to a 150 lbs of cargo bouncing along at 65 MPH, but I feel pretty secure that nothing is going to break loose. They did find a couple of poorly penetrated welds on the bumper extensions and one cracked weld on a crossmember. Repaired them for me "complimentary" so they said.... Hmmmm anyway..... LOL
Pictures???

Jason

Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampJKL View Post
I might end up putting the bikes on the front of the beast (Dodge )
I wouldn't recommend a front mount. You want plenty of clean air getting to the radiator and charge cooler.

Jason

Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Rkymtnman

This ought to get interesting replies....

Immediately after I bought my '09 293SAB, I took it to a metal fabricator and had that flimsy slide out thing removed, the bumper cut off and the shop welded a reciever on the back along with some substantial "enhancements" to the frame and a new bumper, similar to what JRTJH did. Got a substantial bill for their work too.... I will work on pictures but won't be back to storage for a couple weeks....

I put a reciever mounted 4 bike rack back there and the wife says it does not move one bit when heading down the road. I also pull a 2 place jet ski trailer that goes about 2k pounds (never actually scaled it...) but there are (2) 3-seater supercharged skis on there that I guarantee are on the heavy side and the trailer is all steel. I have probably close to 2,000 miles double pulling this set up with no issues, usually headed down the interstate at 70. I never pull this set-up in to the mountains - just not comfortable stopping it although with trailer brakes on the jet ski trailer, it stops just fine.

Foolish? Perhaps but I believe that when done correctly, it can be done safely with good results.

When the metal shop did this, they asked me what I wanted to pull and we talked a lot about how to do this once, correctly. The guaranteed their work to 3,500 pounds and so far, three summers later, there have been zero issues. I check it ever month or so to make sure it is all in good order before a longer trip.
Prodigy Brake Controller

....looking to upgrade both in the coming year....
Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
CampJKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrawler View Post
I wouldn't recommend a front mount. You want plenty of clean air getting to the radiator and charge cooler.

Jason
True true...even with the Banks radiator/airflow system installed, I can always use as much air as possible

Maybe I'll put them ontop of the megacab!

But thanks for the reminder

Oh and I agree...post pics of the mods
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Bob Landry

This is how the bumper on my new Outback was reinforced to carry a diamond tread aluminum storage box.

I removed the bike rack receiver it was bolted to a piece of angle iron, welded to the frame. The angle iron was removed and a piece of 3/8" rectangular steel tubing was welded in place where the cross support for the receiver originally was. Then, two short pieces of that same tubing was welded between the square bumber and the newly installed steel tubing. This created a bumper attachment to the trailer frame in four places. There is also a piece of angle welded to the bumper on the opposite side and the box is screwed to the angle to eliminate any bouncing. The hitch shop also inspected the welds done by Keystone and gave them a clean bill of health. I have the box bolted to the top of the bumper with square U-bolts and the spare tire carrier attached to the bumper and there is zero movement from the bumper. The black piece on the left side of the bottom photo shows the steel tubing that is welded across the back of the trailer to the frame on both sides.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
Story

Smile bike rack problem

We have a keystone 328qbs fifth wheel with the slide out bike rack. On our first trip out, the left side of the bike rack bent way down. The spare tire was mounted more to that side but bc it came that way we assumed it should be there. Well that was the side that bent. We used a jack to bend it back the best we could then when we got home we slid angle irons into each side but kept the tire off for the rest of the summer as that side was still bent. Hate having the tire in our storage though ...defeats the purpose of the storage! Now we got a replacement bike rack so we are starting all over.....put in the angle irons....and put the tire back but mounted in the middle. Haven't tried it yet but plan on. The rack says 200 and even with the tire we have not come close to that. We put three bikes on but they are light. That tire is heavy but again..it is not "ON" the bike rack and we are not at 200lbs. Has anyone else had this problem? WE don't want to bend our new bike rack but this what is was designed for....bikes and the tire!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

We have used the slide-out a number of times but with 2 bikes, not 3. I drilled another stop hole in the sliding angle iron so that I don't have to pull the slide out all the way. This shortens it up by several inches - resulting in less overhang and less stress on the whole system. If you carry 3 bikes, this may not work for you since you would most likely require all of space.
While the spare tire is not on the rack itself, it is on the bumper which is a component of the whole slide-out mechanism. You would, I think, have to include the weight of the tire as part of the 200 lb limit.
I haven't noticed any cracks or bends in this bumber pull-out but it really is a "Mickey Mouse" system for mounting bikes. The pull-out has potential but the hollow, square tube "pole" is a poor-excuse for fastening bikes to. Not sure who designed this, but obviously it was someone who never had to mount bikes on it!
I would also like to remove the spare tire and mount or place it elsewhere. Have thought about in the truck bed or under the front of the RV but still in the "thinking" stage at this point.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

First thing I did was put the spare in the truck bed ... it bounces around too much on the bumper and too much leverage that far back. Only carry two bikes and sewer hose storage .... 10,000 so far with no problems. (knocking on wood)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
LarryL

I to took the spare off put it in the basement didn't want to be taking it
in and out of the truck all the time.
my left side is bent down a little also, like Festus2 idea of drilling new
stop holes so its not out so far.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
Story

We did include the tire weight but were still only at 160lbs. One of the three bikes is a kids bike. All inexpensive bikes anyway so not too heavy. Really want the tire out there as don't want to waste storage. We did put holes in the angle iron so they don't slide around but didn't think of shortening the rack. If we could fit the three bikes that would be a good idea!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
kschitoskey

rear rack

I used to put a big cooler and firewood on the rack. The coach felt unusually squirley going down the road. Given the weight and how far behind the axles the rack is located, I think it unloaded the pin to some degree. Granted, I also had a full tank of water and empty black/grey tanks. I stopped using the rack altogether and plan to put a receiver hitch on it as well.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
twinstick

I tow my boat behind my 5th, so the first thing I did (even before I spent and night in it) was build a hitch. I've been welding for about 10 years now, and I will tell you the factory welds to the bumper are "lacking" to put it nicely. Hopefully this week I'll get a bike rack made so I can take a mountain bike when I'm not hauling my boat. And for some reason, if the pictures are unclear, I cut the entire bumper and their little frame extension pieces off. All replacement metal is 3/16th.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

You sure do take up some real-estate with that rig. Nice hitch ... travel safely, Hank
Old 09-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
Johnnyfry

Bike rack

I have several thousand miles on my 2011 Cougar 318SAB carrying 2 bicycles on a bolt on rack from CW>

A couple of points:
- I don't carry the spare tire on the bumper mount, I carry it in the truck bed.
- I check the welding for cracking frequently
- I run a nylon cargo strap through the bike frames to the ladder to minimize any vibration.

To date I have had no problems. The so called "slide out bike rack" is a joke and can scratch up the bicycles. The only down side is the placement of the 50 amp AC connection. It takes a contortionist to insert the plug into the socket when the bikes are on the rack.

John
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
wheelygoode

bike rack problems

We took our Laredo 266RL on a cross country trip this summer, logging 10,000 more miles. Our only problem has been the electric slide out bike rack/spare tire holder.

About 5,000 miles into the trip we donated our spare tire to the Fraser River - the welds on the spare tire holder had broken. On inspection we found rust where some of the weld should have been - it had never been welded properly. The dealership will replace the tire mount, even though we are out of warranty, but we aren't planning to use it. From now on we'll keep the tire in the truck bed.

Now safely back home we are looking at what we can do with the bike rack.
We like the fact that it slides out (we don't always carry our bikes), like others we don't like the pole for attaching the bikes and are looking at other options.

However on closer inspection we have found that underneath the trailer the bike rack rail support material (both the part attached to the trailer and the part attached to the bike rack) are bent, and the bolts stretched to the limit.

We now need to beef up the brackets, re-weld the cog strip, remake the bike support system....

Our advice to any owners with warranty - get this whole set up checked out at your dealer. Our warranty is over, so we're on our own.