Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
CampJKL

Leak... Damage?

Fourth time out and first rain... A real soaking. You might see in another post we experienced a wet floor near the fridge... Well another hard rain hit us tonight and the leak seems to be getting worse. I suspect it's the Dometic vent but I am not sure. It's a 2012 model and while we really enjoy it, this is disheartening! We are concerned about warping...mold... Damage.

Besides taking it in to our dealer, any advice out there?

Signed,

Soaked
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampJKL View Post

Besides taking it in to our dealer, any advice out there?

Signed,

Soaked
You have answered your own question. This is your best bet!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
therink

I would recommend confirming the leak source/location before taking to dealer to keep the guess work out. I am sure that you care more than they do that the source of the leak is isolated and repaired correctly the first tine without tying up your trailer and your time in case they don't correct it the first time.
If it was me and I suspected the fridge vent on the roof, I would turn off the fridge, cover the vent and surrounding area with sheet plastic (neatly taped down around edges) and then wait for rain. I think this confirm whether the vent is the culprit or not.
Good luck
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
CampJKL

I like the plastic idea and waiting for the rain... But I'd be waiting a loooong time cause Texas is DRY!!!! So I'll grab the garden hose.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
CampJKL

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I would recommend confirming the leak source/location before taking to dealer to keep the guess work out. I am sure that you care more than they do that the source of the leak is isolated and repaired correctly the first tine without tying up your trailer and your time in case they don't correct it the first time.
If it was me and I suspected the fridge vent on the roof, I would turn off the fridge, cover the vent and surrounding area with sheet plastic (neatly taped down around edges) and then wait for rain. I think this confirm whether the vent is the culprit or not.
Good luck
Steve
I got lazy... I took it to the dealer. Guess what? They could not find the leak! Wife is pee'ved. She bought it, it's brand new, and has an undetectable leak. This should be fun.
Any advice out there if I should have to deal with Keystone directly???
Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If the dealer indicated to you that he could not find source of the leak, you might want to ask him if they conducted a pressure test when they were looking for it. This test is similar to finding a leak in a bike inner tube. The windows are checked first - a soapy solution is applied and then you look for air bubbles which will result due to the difference in air pressure between the interior of the RV and the outside. (They have a special "pump" that is used to create this difference in pressure.)
If no leaks are found in the windows, they keep going over your RV until the "hole(s)" is found.
This process is not 100% guaranteed to find the leak but, if done properly, usually will produce results and far superior to a visual inspection.
Again, I would check with them and ask if they carried out such a pressure test. If not, I would recommend that you have one done by someone who has the equipment and experience. The test is not free but in your case, it might be money well spent. Hope you find it!!