Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
mel07green

Woke to no water :(

So the big freeze has hit here in Kansas, with an overnight low of minus 3 and a high today of 5 or 6.

I disconnected the town water after my alleged freeze-proof electric hose froze yesterday. Pump was working fine when I went to bed, and I had 2/3 tank of fresh water.

Awoke this morning to NO water whatsoever, despite the furnace running non-stop at 68 all night and a ceramic heater in the basement as well.

Also, the tank level monitors are all showing empty. Hopefully that is a malfunction and not an indication that my pipes have burst. When the sun comes up, I'll have a look for leaks.

Oh, and the drain pipe snapped clear in two.

Needless to say, my satellite woes have been put on the backburner. No water and no vehicle a slightly larger issue. Maybe I'll just pack up and go to a hotel.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
geo

Melinda & William -

Wow! I would guess others have awoke to similar problems. North Texas is ice bound, but it doesn't really take that much to shut the roads down south of the Red River.

If the water in the tanks has started to freeze, then the ice will start to accumulate along the sides/walls of the tank. Ice is non-conductive, so the sensors basically do not see the tank's contents. The sensors will see the tank is empty until some liquid accumulates around them (tank starts to thaw). There still may be liquid in the tanks, just not along the sides, and the pickup pipe might be clogged with an ice plug near the side of the tank also. And, just like a pond, there might be an ice coating the top of the liquid in the tank while the "center" of the tank is still liquid.

Sorry. I hope you and everyone else will get defrosted quickly and with no other problems!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
mel07green

Unhappy

Thanks, Ron.

Not much chance of a thaw for a few days yet. I guess that's when I'll see what damage has been done to the pipes and tanks.

I am new to RVing and an utterly useless handywoman. Just hope William isn't out on the emergency storm break (he's a lineman) in St Louis for too long. I didn't even know where the gray tank valves where until yesterday (they are frozen open). This learning curve is way too steep.

How would I know if the water pump had broken. I can't hear it when I briefly switch it on.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
DocData757

Turn on a facet before hitting the pump switch. The pump will only run when there is a demand. If the faucets are closed it will pump up the pressure in the system and then shut down until a faucet is opened. Of course, i could be frozen too.

Is you drain hose supported at an angle between the camper and the ground connection or is it just hanging off the camper and laying on the ground? (before it broke, of course)
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
DocData757

BTW, are you in a campground? Are you getting help from other campers? That's one of the benefits of camping... you are usually surrounded by people like yourself that are willing to help and usually there will be a few that are very handy.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
mel07green

Oh i am getting tonnes of support. There is a couple by me, they are in their 80s, and both have been helping me non-stop. Absolute sweethearts. She just traipsed through the snow and ice to bring me a gallon of drinking water. And her husband is taking me empty propane tank to be filled right now (I went through 30lbs in less than 36 hours.) She called me first thing this morning to see how I was holding up.

The owner of the CG has been great too. She phones or drops by several times a day. Drove me to the hardware store yesterday to get some heat tape, and helped me connect it up. She also offered to take me into town whenever I need supplies. And even said I could sleep/hang out at her place.

My drain hose was on an angled stand and only a few feet from the opening. There was no water pooling in it. I think it just got cold and brittle and maybe a wind gust got to it.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
mel07green

Dave, I haven't forgotten the thermostat check. Just been preoccupied with the freeze. Interesting conversation with Keystone this morning. Basically told me I'd been misinformed about the "tested to -4" thing. Asked where I'd got that information. Told her about the double-page spread in their glossy Alpine brochure. She hadn't read it.

Also mentioned we'd toured the factory and been assured we'd have no freeze issues. This would have been a deal-breaker for my husband, and he was very persistent with his questions.

it's looking a lot like false advertising to me. How can you make open claims like that, then not stand behind them at crunch-time?? Suitability for freezing temps is how they brand this unit, FFS.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
DocData757

Don't worry worry about that thermostat test until you have your head above water (or ice?)

We had several nights in a row where it was in the mid 20's and had no problem. We let water run a little on those nights. We are not using the tank water/pump so I am not sure if there is an issue there or not on mine.

Not all drain hoses are created equal. The ones that the deal usually give s you when you purchase the RV is junk. If you local RV store hasn't got a good one, take a look at Campingworld.com.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
mel07green

Not terribly worried about the drain hose. Dealer didn't provide one and we knew the one we bought was junk.

We had no huge problems until it got to around 15. We had a half-day freeze about 10 days ago. That's when we added that extra heater to the basement and all seemed fine until the temps dropped yesterday - it was in the high 60s here on Friday. (Climate change, what climate change?)

Lack of water is a horrible inconvenience, but I'm more worried about the fallout when we thaw. Who knows what mess I'm going to find down there.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
mickeynbranson

Same problem with 2010 Big Sky

When the temp got to zero windchill the water quit. My fellow workcamper put a heat light on his drain pipe and got his water to work.I put a heater on my drain yesterday and when the sun came out, and it warmed up a bit (16F), it started working, we had water all day but then, I put the heater in the basement, should have left it on the drain, I guess.
Hopefully, we only have about another 36 hours of this. The ground hog did not see his shadow so maybe Spring is close. LOL
mickeynbranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Firecapt

I think I read everything posted so far and I don't believe I saw anywhere in the posts the advice to turn off the water supply to your coach!! When the thaw begins, if any of the pipes are broken you will have a monumental mess. After everything thaws, someone should be inside the coach while the water is turned on to communicate with the person outside in case a leak presents itself. If you are lucky, there will be no leaks once everything is thawed.

A leak is one thing, but the damage it can cause is the big problem.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
mel07green

Wow. That's a very good point. Thanks so much.