Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Bob Vaughn

Snow camping

I was wondering how warm and cozy the Keystones are in the snow. With most of the east covered in snow I wonder how many are in their campers and how they are fairing ........
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
antiqfreq

You can check our blog to see some pics of when we were in the snow during our travels this year.

Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, and in New Mexico.......

http//:jjpadventures.blogspot.com

Jo/
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
mikell

We live full time in an Alpine and are doing fine. Were in South West Michigan and have been using about 100lbs of propane every 3 weeks. We work so the heats down to 65 during the day but no problems so far
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Bob Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqfreq View Post
You can check our blog to see some pics of when we were in the snow during our travels this year.

Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, and in New Mexico.......

http//:jjpadventures.blogspot.com

Jo/
I tried to look at your blog but got a FORBIDDEN ACCESS message......
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
miller8179

Our Copper Canyon is ok down to about 30.. then it gets pretty chilly and pipes start freezing in the underbelly. The back bathroom actually freezes solid and is unusable below 30 degrees even with the "Extreme Thermal Package". Apparently this is just another one of the many problems with our RV and heat is not reaching those pipes.
miller8179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
campingcpl

We have stayed in our trailer into late October and early November and really haven't had any problems. We had the termination valves freeze up while traveling in South Dakota but was able to thaw them out with a little heat tape before we needed to dump the tanks.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Retired_Jim

Smile Winter Camping

We have camped in our 2010 Springdale 266RLssr a week in Nov. and 4 nights in Dec. Temps dropped below freezing in the mid-20's. We are winterized, using shore power only, and carry drinking water. We use the campground's heated bath houses or porta potti and use paper plates. The Springdale is not advertised as having any special winter package. I have used Bubble wrap insulation for all the windows and in selected areas like under the bathroom sink, power line intake, and water connection areas adding fiberglass insulation. The propane furnace (setting on 68 degrees) supplemented with an electric space heater (1500 watts) does a good job at holding temp at this level (64-68 degrees). The Furnace kicks in about once an hour or so and propane usage is not unreasonable given the electric space heater assist. Yes, there is some vapor condensation in the mornings but minimal with a small cracked opened bathroom vent. Overall, we are comfortable at these temps, therefore pleased that our Keystone can be used at this level of winter camping. By watching the weather forecast we can plan a few nights get away during the winter without worrying if the Keystone will handle our needs.

Update. While camping two nights Jan. 3 and 4th, the morning low hit 14.8 degrees and our trailer stayed at the 64-68 range with no problems.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
antiqfreq

sorry, I mis-wrote - try this:

http://jjpadventures.blogspot.com

jp

may have to join site to view, not sure!
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
mikell

Well 100lbs of propane lasted 13 days with us home for the holidays and in and out a zillion times. Not too bad don't think. Now were back to work and we shut the bedroom door and turn the heat down to 62. So far it's good
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
mikell

I was wrong it was 18 days on the last tank. Tonights going down to 8 so we'll see how it does. So far no problems other than the thermostat had to be reset twice.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Wolfwalker

Miller8179,

I had the similar problem. I installed an outlet (in storage compartment) with drop cord that plugs in seperate of trailer and then seeing where my lines come in run through the compartment and then down to the underbelly for about 8-10 feet to water heater and kitchen. I cut an 8" square and put a space heater in there to stop my pipes from freezing. It's just a seasonal fix till it warms up for me to drop underbelly to insulate and use pad heaters for next winter.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
Wolfwalker

Winter in Wyoming

We live in our montana full time and the worst was week after Christmas... it was -24 to -30!!!! Heater ran continously and outside water supply froze, even though it was insulated and heat taped!! But overall we do all right and stays pretty comfortable. Skirting is a must!!!! Keeping a space heater in storage compartment helps tremendously.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
mikell

My water supply is 35 feet with alumnium tape on it then inside pipe insulation wrapped in bubble wrap so the whole thing fits inide 4" sewer pipe for protection. Bubble wrap in layers makes great insulation anywhere. I also put insulation on the back side of the propane tank box inside the basement and lots of silicone
Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Wolfwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
My water supply is 35 feet with alumnium tape on it then inside pipe insulation wrapped in bubble wrap so the whole thing fits inide 4" sewer pipe for protection. Bubble wrap in layers makes great insulation anywhere. I also put insulation on the back side of the propane tank box inside the basement and lots of silicone
mikell--do you have any pictures? This sounds like a good idea. I am about sick and tired of the outside supply freezing. Next season when I can afford it, I will a 'handy heated hose'. 250.00 for 15' guarnteed for -20.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Ruffus

Smile Water Hose

Hey Leon
Another thought on frozen hoses. Most RVer's including myself seem to overlook the fact that if you have a 25 foot hose it lets the cold air have 25 feet to freeze and in the summer you have to run your water forever to get the hot out and the cold running. I went down and bought a couple hose repair kits and I cut my water hose at 5 foot and ten foot. Most of the time you are between 5 and 10 foot from your riser. Then I wrapped my 5 foot hose with black pipe insulation and the water filter with bubble wrap and I haven't had a frozen supply line yet and the temps here have been as low as 19 degrees over night. If I need more hose then I just add a 10 foot extension that I made from the hose that I cut. Works well. Just another thought.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
mikell

This is it's second winter with no freeze ups and we actually have warm water in the mornings.

I bought a 50 foot hose and cut it to length

Stretched the hose between 2 post in the shop not tight just straight

2" wide alumnium tape applied to spread the heat. Just ran it length ways of the hose.

Good 40' heat tape and left extra on both ends as needed. Laid flat on the taped part of the hose and attached with good electrical tape about every 6"

Bought 1' or 1 1/2" unslit foam pipe insulation and pulled the taped up hose through it by string that was sucked through with a shop vac. Taped with gorilla tape the joints where the insulation butted together.

Gathered bubble wrap with the small bubbles from work for a month or so and layered it on and secured with electrical tape.

Pushed the whole thing through 4"sewer and buried it about 2" deep where it was out in the open. Under the trailer it just lays on the ground.

3-4 people in the park have the same thing without the bubble wrap and haven't had problems
Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Ruffus

Talking Tired

Wow, after that explanation on how you fixed the no freeze water I'm tired so I'm going to go take a nap, goodnight.

PS: Good Idea though!!!!!
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
mikell

It took a few days but wasn't too bad. I knew I was going to be livinh there for a couple of years till the park opens so I went overkill maybe. I do product testing was automotive now appliance for a living so I can make or break about anything. Building test fixtures to be used in -40 chambers helped alot.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #19
Wolfwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Hey Leon
Another thought on frozen hoses. Most RVer's including myself seem to overlook the fact that if you have a 25 foot hose it lets the cold air have 25 feet to freeze and in the summer you have to run your water forever to get the hot out and the cold running. I went down and bought a couple hose repair kits and I cut my water hose at 5 foot and ten foot. Most of the time you are between 5 and 10 foot from your riser. Then I wrapped my 5 foot hose with black pipe insulation and the water filter with bubble wrap and I haven't had a frozen supply line yet and the temps here have been as low as 19 degrees over night. If I need more hose then I just add a 10 foot extension that I made from the hose that I cut. Works well. Just another thought.
Ruffus- Thanks, I like the idea, makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #20
Wolfwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
This is it's second winter with no freeze ups and we actually have warm water in the mornings.

I bought a 50 foot hose and cut it to length

Stretched the hose between 2 post in the shop not tight just straight

2" wide alumnium tape applied to spread the heat. Just ran it length ways of the hose.

Good 40' heat tape and left extra on both ends as needed. Laid flat on the taped part of the hose and attached with good electrical tape about every 6"

Bought 1' or 1 1/2" unslit foam pipe insulation and pulled the taped up hose through it by string that was sucked through with a shop vac. Taped with gorilla tape the joints where the insulation butted together.

Gathered bubble wrap with the small bubbles from work for a month or so and layered it on and secured with electrical tape.

Pushed the whole thing through 4"sewer and buried it about 2" deep where it was out in the open. Under the trailer it just lays on the ground.

3-4 people in the park have the same thing without the bubble wrap and haven't had problems
Well, I know can see the way you did it...Thanks for the time and information!!!!