Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
denverpilot

Door lock broke - didn't take much

Well, for those playing along... While putting the spare tire on today in the driveway...

I went to lock up the 312RE and accidentally put the wrong key in the deadbolt lock on the door.

Our unit came with three keys (and a spare set), two are similar, the other is a standard CH751. Ignoring the CH751...

The other two are almost identical but the numbers on the door cylinders and the storage area are different by one digit. Let's call them 001 and 002.

001 works the door locks, 002 opens the storage bay.

I put 002 in the door lock, bottom one, the deadbolt. Didn't force it, just turned easily to the left. Didn't quite "feel right" so I pulled it out and looked at the number printed on the key.

Oops, wrong key. No problem, put 001 in... Wait... It won't go in.

Try the now-correct 001 key on the handle lock. Works. Hmm.

Back to the deadbolt lock... Can't insert the correct key. Crap.

Grab a tiny screwdriver and poke at internals a bit, see if I can "rake" it (without a proper locksmith rake) to allow the lock to turn back to the right to get the key in. No go.

Try a tiny bit more force with the half inserted correct key. Nothing except cheap key starts to bend. Not going any further with that.

Grab pickup truck key and gently insert and turn since it's a sturdier key. Bends the little aluminum cap just a little bit.

Crap. Locked out of the trailer.

So far...

Craptastic tires.
Craptastic locks.
Big money.

Grrrr.

I'm mostly posting as a warning to others. Be careful to use the correct key in your door. I'd be *seriously* mad if this had happened on the road.

And...

Thoughts on the best fix? Would you consider this a lock defect? Warranty? Call a locksmith with a big parking lot? Jam a screwdriver in it and trash it? (Ha. Kidding on that last one. I'm grumpy.)

I can easily see my wife or someone else doing this. Be forewarned.

You could find yourself locked out of your trailer. Thankfully ours is all packed up inside, nothing burning on the stove, no doggie inside, you know...

But it could be a real nightmare in the wrong circumstances.

Not a happy camper right now. But a lot happier than if I locked myself out somewhere in the boonies and had to tow it somewhere with stuff banging around inside or had to break into it.

Guess I'll start the time-wasting discussion with the dealer tomorrow. See if they think they can get it open, and whether they think it can be handled under warranty, and cross fingers they can get it in soon, and tow it all the way over there...

After I replace the tires. And maybe the wheels.

(Beat head here...)
Old 03-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

denverpilot, First thing, does your trailer have a laundry chute and do you have a child small enough to fit through it. They should be able to turn the red handle from the inside to open the door.
When you removed the key , was it in the 12 o'clock position ... the key should always be returned to that position before removing. I don't know if you have caused any damage with your attempts to open but try a good shot of spray lube and run the correct key in and out a few times to free the tumblers.
If you contact Fastec , most likely the maker of your locks, they will be able to sell you a lock that is keyed like your (002) lock so this will not happen in the future. You do not have to buy the whole lockset just the core and keys. Good luck. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
denverpilot

No chute. Key not at 12. Another member pointed out offline that the lock has a recall for this very problem.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
No chute. Key not at 12. Another member pointed out offline that the lock has a recall for this very problem.
When you contact Fastec on the recall be sure to get all locks keyed the same. They were very obliging when I spoke to them about the recall but this will not get your door open now. Talk to them, they may have a solution. The recall is only on certain key numbers. This is a link to the recall info. if you need it.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
denverpilot

Dealer says unless a window is open, the only way in is to drill out the lock. Replacement lock can be done under warranty after that. They basically told me to shoot photos and start drilling. I'm a little leery that I don't want to damage the door or rest of the mechanism so I might let a locksmith attack it. Trying to figure out a locksmith with a big enough parking lot to drag the 5er to them, since I live out in the Styx. Ha.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Check your insurance, many have on site locksmith service. ...Worth a try. Once you start drilling you will be surprised how quickly the tumblers just fall apart. But I don't blame you for being gun-shy.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The dealership is probably going to replace the entire lockset, not the tumblers, so unless you're SUPER SLOPPY with your drilling, you've got a 5'x5' site to miss the tumblers before you start damaging anything they aren't going to be replacing. The entire lockset comes out as an assembly with just 4 lag screws. They will be replacing the entire assembly.... DRILL AWAY,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
denverpilot

If Friday night "liquid courage" doesn't kick in when I get home, the insurance company will do mobile locksmith up to $150.

If I have to tow it to meet them somewhere more civilized (Walmart parking lot! Ha!) I can do that.

Thanks for the tip!

The other nice part about going that route is if the warranty whines about replacing the lock, I'll have paperwork that says a professional *had* to drill it out if they can't pop it loose, and it wasn't just some moron with a $20 cordless drill and two beers on board. Haha.

As far as the tires go, talked to the guy I know at Discount Tire (been using them for years, kinda like keeping all the vehicles with them, gives leverage when stuff goes wrong... "How many thousands have I spent here??"...) found an option I hadn't seen.

Their house brand is Carlisle. Good but slightly mixed reviews online. Carlisle makes an F load rated 235 85R16 that should fit fine. The steel spare wheel can handle the F pressure and the Sendel regular wheels certainly can. The F load rating gets us WAY above the GVWR of the trailer, and above the axle rating also, and is about $200 less per tire than the Goodyear G614 right now.

So... They're on order. Will have them do high pressure valve stems and balance them and then see how they behave on the trailer. I can live with them having a problem for the $1000 savings.

So the Carlisles get one shot. They tick me off, they're gone and I'll upgrade to a 17.5 wheel and real tires and skip the G614 altogether.