Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
redlacm

Cool Cold weather problem windows

Having been in the south this year , its been cool. I have wondered if double pane windows would improve the heat retention in the fifth wheel. If this would be a good solution, where would a person go to have these installed. Where could you purchase an item like this.

Thanks, Redlac M.

cold Canadian
redlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
KanTC

Redlac,

The Avalanche line offers dual pane windows as an 'Option' on the current model year. http://www.keystonerv.com/avalanche/#/options
You might talk to your purchasing dealer (or a trusted local Keystone dealer) to see if it's possible to order from Keystone & retro-fit.

Try a Google search - there are websites where you could research window choices, here's one example: http://hehrwindows.net

Whether you DIY or have a dealer install, it's likely to be a pricey modification

Hope this helps.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The Avalanche line lists dual pane windows as an optional item. The windows are available from the dealer however I'm sure they are pretty much "cost prohibitive". As an option during build, they are several hundred dollars additional, but after built, the old windows are not a part of the cost upgrade, so you'll be buying a complete set of replacement windows. Typically aluminum frame single pane windows are $200-400 depending on the size, dual pane windows are more expensive. Your Avalanche has "rimless windows" so they are even more expensive. With 12 windows in your RV at an average of $300 each, you're probably looking at around $3600 plus installation. With R10 wall insulation, I'm not sure you'd really see a significant gain in energy savings from the conversion. The nicest part of having dual pane windows would be the lack of "chill" when sitting in front of a window and less condensation on the glass. Keep in mind, however that the moisture has to go somewhere, so you'll probably notice more condensation behind cushions and along the bottom of the walls where there's limited circulation.

I've been hearing on the news recently that there's a 50/50 chance of an El Nino this summer. If that occurs, we should have a couple of much milder winters in the future. If that happens, you probably won't find an increased need for dual pane windows. If not, then look for another winter like this one..... Hmmmmm I wonder if Honduras will allow us to buy
seasonal campsites???? LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote