Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Leak at slide outer edges, what is proper repair method?

Hello, searched around, and did not find anything. If I missed an old post, please point me to it.

I have a ten year old rig with four slides, that has spent almost all of its time in South Western sunshine, with slides out. Had a little "snow" last night, and as it melted, I noticed a small leak above one of the windows. Went up on a ladder, and saw what looks to be like tape, all along the seam where the slide roof meets the flange, that was brittle and pealing. Probably (hopefully) from all of the jockeying around I have been doing, which means the slides have gone in and out. The tape looks like a previous fix, although I see no evidence of any water damage in the rig, maybe it was preventative maintenance. This is happening on all of the slides. I am looking for best practices, and products for self repair? I found this online:

http://www.eternabond.com/?Click=205...FU9yQgodXUQAJQ

May even be what is on there now. Anyone use this? Should I use additional sealants? Maybe a different method altogether? I am having slide awnings put on in a week or two, and it does not rain here, so I am not in a panic, but I am guessing I should repair it before the awnings are in the way.

I'll post some pictures, thanks all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_174143.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	4951   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_174207.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	4952   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_174252.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	4953  
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

So this is what the previous owner did, not sure why yet...

"applied regular duct tape to the edges and used a Latex Roof Coating"

Hoping that the duct tape does not cause damage when removing it, but I guess I have no choice but to pull it up.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

ok, she said she did it for preventative reasons on the advice of a neighbor, and dealer.

I am not too familiar with rv sale laws, is this something I should try to have the owner or dealer that sold it on consignment deal with because it was not disclosed, or am I stuck with it because I did not pick it up when I inspected it?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
denverpilot

Most sales contracts are written as final and "as-is" on used RVs. What does yours say?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Most sales contracts are written as final and "as-is" on used RVs. What does yours say?
something along those lines
Old 02-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

So, someone told me that pulling up the old duct tape will cause damage to the roof system, and that I should just duct tape over the existing (which I am not going to do). Not sure exactly what I am going to do yet, waiting on a call from a guy at Eternabond.

Does anyone know for fact that pulling up the duct tape will wreck my roofs?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Actually....... it is a generic used car contract, and it says "The seller hereby warrants that the vehicle will be fit for the ordinary purposes for which the vehicle is used for 15 days or 500 miles after delivery, whichever is earlier, except with regards to particular defects disclosed on the first page of this agreement."

In the disclosure, it is marked "none", with a further comment of "all systems in working order".

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv, but while I have had the rig for longer than 15 days, I do not have the title yet, and the defect was present day one, just was not discovered till recently.

whoh, bad math on my part, today is the 15th day!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Heating the tape with a heat-gun will soften the adhesive and allow you to remove it without damage. Unless there is a tear in the membrane there is no need for such a radical repair. The edge is usually just sealed with self leveling sealant (Dicor) and resealing should be all that is needed. Many times it is not the roof leaking but loose screws in the metal strips that hold down the edges. After the repair leave the slide open a few days so the sweeper seal does not get stuck to it.

NOTE: Out of 7 posts in this thread you have made 6 of them. You do know what they say about people who talk to themselves????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Heating the tape with a heat-gun will soften the adhesive and allow you to remove it without damage. Unless there is a tear in the membrane there is no need for such a radical repair. The edge is usually just sealed with self leveling sealant (Dicor) and resealing should be all that is needed. Many times it is not the roof leaking but loose screws in the metal strips that hold down the edges. After the repair leave the slide open a few days so the sweeper seal does not get stuck to it.

NOTE: Out of 7 posts in this thread you have made 6 of them. You do know what they say about people who talk to themselves????
uh, yeah, how about that? Sorry, I was just posting updates as I had them. Possibly I am a little nuts, but only in sweet endearing ways, I swear.

I am not familiar with heat guns at all, is there a temperature range that will do the trick, but not hurt the epdm?

Thank you
Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
:

I am not familiar with heat guns at all, is there a temperature range that will do the trick, but not hurt the epdm?

Thank you
A hair drier will work and if it doesn't burn the back of your hand it will not hurt the EPDM. Just use common sense.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Just use common sense.
I seem to be short on that lately.

This is what the guy I bought the rig from emailed me just now:

"I called a dealer friend of mine, he sells Montana, he says that tape is installed at the factory. I think the seller got hosed in Calif.

To ease you mind, call Keystone Montana, ask for service and ask the question of what is the material they apply to their slide roofs.

Montana's toll free line is : 866-425-4329 ask for customer service.

Let me know what you find out."

Someone here told me that the only rigs that used tape on the slides, was.... something not mine, I cannot remember what it was.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Dave -
I think Hank's assessment is spot on....... You ARE talking to yourself. Mmmmmmm.....Common sense ?????
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Dave -
I think Hank's assessment is spot on....... You ARE talking to yourself. Mmmmmmm.....Common sense ?????

I know, and probably driving you all nuts. Sorry, I will step away from the keyboard.......

uh, after noting that unless there is fiber mesh in Dicor tape, then it is duct tape on my seams.

Ok, really done now.

Sorry everyone.