Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

CHEAP Fifth Wheel Landing Gear Parts

While I was looking for manual jacks on EBay, I ran across this part for sale. I can't attest to the quality or durability (after all, it's probably made in China). I thought that for some of the people who are looking to get their landing gear back in service quickly and don't want to spend a bucket of money on an Atwood or Lippert gearbox, this may be an alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-5th-Wheel...item2ec74d6adf

The EBay dealer also advertised replacement 12VDC motors for the system for about $87 and a kit including the motor, reduction gear box and wiring harness for $139. That's less than 1/4th the cost from Lippert.

I have no association with this EBay merchant and can not attest to his reliability, but if you buy with Paypal, they will guarantee the product to be as advertised or get your money back for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Now we know where Lippert gets theirs from

The Lippert and Atwood gearboxes are identical in dimensions---but not in performance.

When one of my Lippert landing legs failed, I immediately replaced both legs with Atwoods. Then on a lark I also replaced the gearbox, since the new legs came with one. Huge difference.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, there is a difference. Lippert's gears are nylon/plastic in most of their gearboxes. Atwood's are cast metal. Atwood "should" last significantly longer.

That EBay merchant has a "gear rebuild kit" that includes, per the description, cast gears. The gearbox for $29 also says it has cast gears. Who knows for sure if it's any better than Lippert, but I'd suppose it can't (or shouldn't) be worse LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Jim & DJ

Ebay seller

Checkout that ebay seller. Way to many negatives..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, thanks for the heads up.
Sorry for the bad reference. I tried and got a website that had 29 negatives in a year. Just thought I might say something but must have copied the eBay website address incorrectly. Shows me that I just better keep my nose out of it. Again, sorry.

Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That EBay merchant has a "gear rebuild kit" that includes, per the description, cast gears. The gearbox for $29 also says it has cast gears.
Cast gears, but not necessarily cast metal gears---since nylon can also be cast.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Checkout that ebay seller. Way to many negatives..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-5th-Wheel...item2ec74d6adf

Just sayin !!

2007 Mountaineer TT (gone)
2009 Montana 3465SA (current)
2007 F350 6.0 D
Jim, Your link is dead (goes to an expired listing) The seller, Class A Customs in Elkhart, IN has a 99.7% positive feedback rating. (8402 positive ratings and 29 negative ratings)
They are listed by EBay as "Top Rated +" Where did you see that there are "Way too many negatives???"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
Cast gears, but not necessarily cast metal gears---since nylon can also be cast.
I've never done business with this company and I haven't purchased the gear set or the gear box so I can't tell you that they are metal gears. Can you assure that they are NOT metal gears?

All I was doing with the initial post was identifying a low cost option ($29) for a part that Lippert charges in excess of $300. There are a number of members of this forum who have tried unsuccessfully to get replacement parts for their failed landing gear. If they can't find parts, this post, hopefully, would provide them with an alternative.

I would imagine that you get pretty much what you pay for, but since I've never seen the kit (as stated in my initial post) I can't attest to the quality. I think I made that as clear as possible in the initial post. If you have any information as to the quality of this supplier's products, please advise.

Would you prefer that I remove the post and the link and simply keep the source a "secret" and not share information with the members of the forum?

I'd be happy to listen to your suggestions as to where to buy "LOW COST" replacements if you have a source. Or, if you think I should not identify such sources, please say so.

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Would you prefer that I remove the post and the link and simply keep the source a "secret" and not share information with the members of the forum?
Well, since you put it that way, I suppose the answer would be "yes", based on the overwhelming likelihood that this particular eBay knockoff item is pure junk. Last I checked, eBay really wasn't a big secret.

ETA: After cooling down a bit, I dug out the old Lippert gearbox I actually kept after my Atwood upgrade. I opened it up and was astounded to find steel gears inside. However, it has an all-plastic housing, and that's where all the wear was. Since your eBay item clearly advertises an aluminum housing, it may well be of better quality than my OEM Lippert gearbox.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'll leave the link on the forum for other member's use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS