Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
MConnelly

Hot water heater operation?

I have a 2009 Fuzion 403 equipped with a Suburban 10 gal.LP/Ele hot water heater.
It works great. Problem is I cannot figure out if I am running LP or electric and any given time.
When the gas is heating I can hear the combustion. If the electric is heating water I have no way of knowing.

I have a two switch panel in the bathroom for the hot water heater. One says "on". The other says "reset". The "reset" button is lit. It is my understanding if the "reset" button's light is on I need to push it and "reset" the heater. I assume this controls the LP heater in the unit.

There is a very small "on/off" switch on the face of the actual heater . Behind the exterior foo/cover panel.

My question... Can I set the water heater to run on "LP only" by turning off the "on/off" switch on the face of the heater to off?
If the "on /off" switch is turned to "on" is the LP not functional?

I have read thru the owners manual and it doe not elaborate on settings.
If possible I would like to run on AC when we have a 50A hook up and LP when we do not.

Hope someone can enlighten me .
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The small, black rocker switch down near the bottom of the HW heater (exterior face), is to control the 110v operation. When it is in the OFF position, it won't, of course, run on electricity. When ON, it will.

You can heat water using both propane and electricity - resulting in faster heating.

There should be a switch inside that operates the propane portion and when you turn this to the ON position, it takes a few seconds and then it starts and if you listen carefully, you can hear the propane gas igniting in the furnace.

Ours doesn't have an interior ON/OFF switch for electricity but you may have . If you have two HW tank interior switches , one will be for gas, the other for electricity. Remember the outside switch has to be ON before the tank will work on 110v.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
MConnelly

HW heater operation

Perfect...that is just what I was looking for.

I am going to install a AC switch inside the rig so I can make the selection with out going outside and un-doing the outer cover.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
MConnelly

HW heater operation

HMMMMM

I wonder if the interior switch marked"on" is a remote interior switch?

The lit switch being the LP on/off switch?
(I have a two switch interior switch panel)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

If you don't want to go outside to turn on the electric element for the water heater you can leave the rocker switch on and control it with the circuit breaker in the main panel. If you only have 30amp service available avoid using WH on electric if you are running A/C.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

One item I forgot to mention ....
When the time comes to winterize your RV and drain the water from the HW tank, don't forget to turn that little rocker switch to OFF. If the tank is drained and the switch left to the ON position, then you could quite accidentally plug in the RV to shore power and forget to turn the switch back to the OFF position. Heating an empty tank with the 110v supply still on will burn out your heating element - quickly, very quickly! Don't ask me how I know this......
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
MConnelly

HW operation

I hear you loud and clear and share your pain. Those rods really stink up the place when they get toasted.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
sbmarks3

I think we have the same setup. I have found that the red light only lights up during the lighting process. The reset will manually force a restart of the ignition process. If you have just changed bottles after running out then the red light may luminate several times before finally lighting the burner. I just leave my electric switch in the on position most all of the time. As mentioned above it does need to be turned off when winterizing to prevent burning out the element.

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The small, black rocker switch down near the bottom of the HW heater (exterior face), is to control the 110v operation. When it is in the OFF position, it won't, of course, run on electricity. When ON, it will.

You can heat water using both propane and electricity - resulting in faster heating.

There should be a switch inside that operates the propane portion and when you turn this to the ON position, it takes a few seconds and then it starts and if you listen carefully, you can hear the propane gas igniting in the furnace.

Ours doesn't have an interior ON/OFF switch for electricity but you may have . If you have two HW tank interior switches , one will be for gas, the other for electricity. Remember the outside switch has to be ON before the tank will work on 110v.

Hope this helps.
Awesome thanks, that was my question lol. Just discovered today mine was LP/Elect, nice. Still exploring it and fixing little things.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote