Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Alice Clark

Angry Air Conditioning Nightmare

We purchased a 2010 Outback last August. Our first trip out we had to call a repairman because the a/c wasn't cooling. We had a 15,000 btu installed to replace the existing one. To date, we have not made one trip that we could be comfortable with the a/c. Our Outback has been in the service department more than in a rv park.
Alice Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
antiqfreq

I am very sorry to hear that.

Our fifth wheel doesn't always cool 100% if we are in temps in high 90's
with NO trees around us.

Otherwise it is adequate.

We didn't buy a full timing fiver, even though we full time. So insulation isn't as good as my old house was - that's for sure!

Keep us informed of your work with Keystone, please.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Clark View Post
We purchased a 2010 Outback last August. Our first trip out we had to call a repairman because the a/c wasn't cooling. We had a 15,000 btu installed to replace the existing one. To date, we have not made one trip that we could be comfortable with the a/c. Our Outback has been in the service department more than in a rv park.
I found issues with the duct work not being tapped and sealed properly. Many folks here and on other forums have had the same issues. I would ask them to look at it or you can, very simple to do. There's three places that need to be checked;

1) Up inside the discharge pelenium where the ducts attach, its under the inside cover. Four screws and it comes off.

2) Take the vents down and have a look.

3) The end of the duct run.

I found very poor or non-existent tape on the joints in all three areas. If this condition exists you are blowing cool air into the attic space which does very little to cool the living space.

Just something I found that I never would have thought to check until someone here mentioned it.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Alice Clark

We have taken the Outback in 3 times. The first time they said the ducts weren't wrapped properly, the second time we had a 15,000 btu installed to replace the 13,500. The third time the ducts were supposedly tapped again. We were told it was blowing 42 degrees. We are currently in an rv park, the outside temp was 91 today and couldn't get the interior to cool below 84 degrees. We are at our wits end and are calling Keystone tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Cherokee

Just purchased a 2011 Cougar 327RES with the same problem. I have a 15000 BTU unit and my problem was poor air flow. This is what I did to correct the problem. The vents that came from Keystone are directional and restrict the air flow. You have to get enough air flow into the living area to pull the temps down.
First-Pop off the air vent covers and you will see an immediate improvement. I left the directional vent in the bath so this vent can be turned away from the shower.
Second-I then purchased 3 replacement, Aireport duct vents, for 5 bucks each. These vents are adjustable and port the air flow 360 degrees when they are open. Before you install these, you now need 2 plastic, 1# coffee cans.
Third- Cut these cans in half from the mouth down, across the bottom and up the other side. These will be installed up inside the air ducts to serve and air scoops. Insert 1 half of the can in each air port on the side farthest away from the a/c unit. Trim the excess of the plastic can away level with the ceiling. Now duct tape these in place.
Last- Install the new Aireport vents and my problems was solved.
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Alice Clark

Angry

We don't have a problem with air flow. The air is not cool when it is above 80 degrees outside. We have now been told that we will not be able to use the rv park we normally go to because it doesn't have enough trees.
Had the salesman told us we could only use this fifth wheel in cool weather, we certainly wouldn't have bought it.
We were told by the last tech that looked at it that we needed to cover the windows with reflectors, which I did this afternoon. I'm wondering...... are we responsible for the accidents of those following us when they are blinded by the reflection of the sun off our Outback windows? One of the techs told us, where we bought the Outback, that it was the mark of the beast! Doesn't Keystone insulate their trailers? Everyone I've talked to can't believe a 15,000 btu will not cool this 5th wheel. I've put a call in to Keystone and am waiting for a return call to see if they will send a rep to look at this problem.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
ptodd47

Alice I would take it to another Keystone dealer. Chances are your unit is bad and your present service department cant do a proper diagnosis. By the way what brand is your AC unit?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Clark View Post
We don't have a problem with air flow. The air is not cool when it is above 80 degrees outside. We have now been told that we will not be able to use the rv park we normally go to because it doesn't have enough trees.
Had the salesman told us we could only use this fifth wheel in cool weather, we certainly wouldn't have bought it.
We were told by the last tech that looked at it that we needed to cover the windows with reflectors, which I did this afternoon. I'm wondering...... are we responsible for the accidents of those following us when they are blinded by the reflection of the sun off our Outback windows? One of the techs told us, where we bought the Outback, that it was the mark of the beast! Doesn't Keystone insulate their trailers? Everyone I've talked to can't believe a 15,000 btu will not cool this 5th wheel. I've put a call in to Keystone and am waiting for a return call to see if they will send a rep to look at this problem.
Do this... crank up the AC, let it run for several hours in the middle of a hot day. Make a note of the temperature inside the trailer. Hold a thermometer up into the cold air outlet of the AC. That temp should be at least 15 degrees cooler than the air inside. Possibly 20 degrees. If its not a 15 degree difference then there is a problem. Otherwise thats as good as its going to do. 15 - 20 degrees difference.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Eckerhill

I purchased my 38'ft 5th wheel with two ac's to avoid the issue of poor cooling in very hot weather. However, in full sunlight and 90 degree weather the second one does not run because the main one is able to hold our unit at our preferred temperature of 72 degrees by itself. This would lead me to believe something is wrong with your unit. I do keep the night shades down on the sunny side.
Eckerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Alice Clark

What kind of 5th Wheel do you have? We also keep the shades pulled 24/7. Something is definitely wrong with the unit. We have had it to two different Keystone dealers. If the temp gets higher than 80 outside, we can't get the temp below 80 inside. We have a lemon.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Ruffus

Cool A/C's

Hey Alice, the first we went out in our Copper Canyon the A/C was a blowing but no cool air was coming out. There was a little green wire up inside the unit that had broke off during installation so it was a easy fix. Our unit is 38 feet and it only has a 13,500 a/c unit on it. Today it was 94 here in South Florida and he index was 112. Around 5:00 PM it got up to 85 degrees and that poor unit has been working all day. We are heading out next week for cooler temps and figure next year we'll try a 15000 on the living space and a 13500 in the bedroom. If your not in and out of the unit all day it stays pretty constant but in direct sun with out shade and high humidity it works to keep it around 80 degrees. It also depends on what you get use too. We always kept our house at 78 degrees day and night, but most of our friends seem to have it between 68 and 72. They fry at our house and we freeze at theirs but I always had a cheeper electric bill during the summer. Where are you located, what state?
Ruffus
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
djhelkhntr

ac

Measure the air temp going into the air filter of the unit after it has ran a while. Then measure the sir temp coming out of the closest discharge air vent to the unit. The temp diference (TD) should be close to 20 degrees. IF it isnt there is a problem with the unit or the unit might be to small for the space that is being conditioned. At least thats what we did when I was doing ac repair.
Dave
djhelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
miller8179

Many states have a lemon law. Keep track of every minute its in for service and look into your state laws. Either they fix it, or they take it back. That's how it works here in TX.
miller8179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
BigCajun

After reviewing your posts, perhaps the ends of the duct runs are not taped and you are sending air into the attic. I had similar issues with my Raptor as you can read in other air conditioning posts on this site. Along with taping the ducts, I also plugged the ducts at the last vent opening as the ducts continued on and I could not see nor feel the end of the run.

The other issue that I found was at the plenum. The cold air was being forced over to the return air.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Tigertracks

My unit also struggles with hot days. When the temp is over 90 the trailer is over 80, roughly maintains about 10 degree difference. Runs all day. I have a 15k unit and may add a smaller unit to the front bedroom next spring. I think adding awnings over the 2 slideouts would help too. The more shade you can get the better. I may get some tarps and just hook them up to the trailer on the sunny side with clips or something.