Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #21
hankpage
Site Team

If you have the same fixtures for your ceiling lights that are controlled with a wall switch you could swap fixtures and jumper the ceiling lights built in switch to the on position.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
This is the most common light found in our Keystones and they are very easy to open up if you know the trick.

If you look carefully, you can see two slots along the edge of the lens. There are two more on the other side. Notice that the slot is narrower where it is closer to the switch. There are corresponding tabs on the lens for each slot.

Insert a fingernail in between the lens and the body of the fixture right by the switch. You should be able to move the away from the switch by about a 1/4". It might have a bit of a detent feel to it, but it will move. That will line up the tabs with the larger part of the slot.

Now just give it a little wiggle and it should come free. Don't yank on it! Just be sure that all four tabs are clear. You may have to slip them out one at a time.

To install the lens, fit the each of the four tabs into the wider part each slot, making sure that the lens is seated properly and then slide the lens toward the switch.

That's it. The trick is knowing how the tabs work and how to free up the lens.
Thanks, Steve. Just the information I needed to switch out incandescent bulbs for LED.

I thought removing the lens would be a simple task - perhaps a simple "release catch and slide off lens" - until I tried it I suppose they are made to fit tight to withstand towing. Good that manufacturer thought of this, but they should include instructions.

Your post saved me a call to the dealer.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Sicapo

Anyone knows how to open one of these? It's the one in front of a Passport 195RB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	4242  

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicapo View Post
Anyone knows how to open one of these? It's the one in front of a Passport 195RB.
There is one tab on the bottom and two tabs on the top of the clear plastic lens. Slip a thin common screwdriver blade between the base and the lens near the center of the lower part of the light, twist the screwdriver slightly and pry downward on the handle of the screwdriver. The lens should pop out and be easily removed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #25
W5WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
On our Cougar, these fixtures are all the same style and the globe is wide open so they are easy to clean and just as easy to swap the bulbs. I did try to take one apart, and they appear to be kind of permanently assembled. Not a problem with these particular fixtures, fortunately. These pendants use #1142 bulbs, and the sconces and overheads use the #921's.

Thanks for the great thread!!! It provides excellent information. But, and there is always the "but"... I'm having trouble removing the bulb from the hang down fixtures. A while back I changed a bulb, but I've slept since and I have forgotten how to remove the bulbs.

Please give me a refresher!

Thanks,

dale
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote