Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Bubba777

Outback 298re. Roof

Does this look normal. Of corse dealership said it normal ...

Bubba777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
BldrRob

We have something similar to your first picture on our 2011 Cougar 31SQB. Be intested to see what the more experienced folks here think about it. We haven't had any visible leaks on ours.

Rob
BldrRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Keep an eye on this long, narrow "bubble". Over time, it may develop into a wider one or worse still, other similar bubbles will appear.

I'd measure it, take photos and write up something to send to your dealer and/or Keystone. Keep detailed written records of your findings, any emails or phone calls you might make. Check your roof frequently, take additional measurements and photos. Keep in contact with the dealer and Keystone.

You didn't mention if your RV is still under warranty or its age.

As a note, a friend of mine had a roof that looked somewhat similar and he was told the same thing --"Don't worry. It's normal". About a year later, the entire front section of the roof worked loose and was billowing about while driving down the freeway. It was out of warranty but the dealer did repair it but only reluctantly. The owner kept detailed records, photos, etc. which helped him immensely in his effort to get this "normal" problem fixed.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Jager

We have have 3 travel trailers and are currently on our 4th 5th wheel. I have never seen the rubber roof bunch or bubble up like that. We live/camp in the north east and store our camper indoors in the winter. Don't know if your climate would make any difference or not. We have several friends who leave their campers out in the winter and they don't have this issue either.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
Shelbs

I have actually seen this a lot. Manufacturers don't glue the entire roof. This is fairly common. The only true solution is to R&R the roof, which I am sure you don't want to do (although I would be happy to do it for you). Is your unit still under warranty? There are two potential reasons the dealer is telling you it's normal (aside from the fact that it is true): 1) If you are under warranty, you won't get Keystone to authorize repair and/ or replacement in a million years. 2) if it's not under warranty, it'll cost you several thousand dollars to replace it. But the dealership is likely honest and doesn't want to take your money for no reason.

just my $.02

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Bubba777

Honestly the dealer giveing me the runaround a lot on this camper we camped 4 times since feb been in the shop ever since I got every thing documented and of corse salesman call on the phone to tell me roof was ok then I shot him a email asking if he could email me on the roof. No reply it comes down to it I have a buddy on I 49 I will park it and right preameaux rv. Sold a lemon
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Shelbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba777 View Post
Honestly the dealer giveing me the runaround a lot on this camper we camped 4 times since feb been in the shop ever since I got every thing documented and of corse salesman call on the phone to tell me roof was ok then I shot him a email asking if he could email me on the roof. No reply it comes down to it I have a buddy on I 49 I will park it and right preameaux rv. Sold a lemon
That's a bummer! Sorry you're having such an ordeal with this dealership. Best of luck, Bubba!

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Bubba777

After telling them a bout what a lemon is they finally got the ball rolling bring it in Wednesday