Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
matstam13

no hot water

came home today and found that there was no hot water. flipped the breaker just to be sure that wasnt the problem, it seams it wasnt. had a shortage of water last night could the element have burnt out? the propane heats the tank perfect but who wants to burn propane when you have electric? any suggestions as to what my problem may be. oh and its a 2012 alpine 3450rl hot water heater, so its not a warn out unit.
thanks
matstam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
jsmith948

Sorry that you are having this problem. Unfortunately, if you had your HW heater set to 120v and it was left on, and you ran low on water, there is a good chance that you have damaged the heating element. I guess I would check the power input (breakers and switches) and I would try the resets (2 rubber covered buttons in the outside HW heater compartment). Hope this is of some help - good luck
FWIW, we always shut off the water heater when we are away from the 5er.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Draining the water heater without using low point drain or removing tank drain is nearly impossible. Once pressure is lost the water will not push through the faucets. As mentioned, check the resets and see if you are getting power to the elements. Good luck and let us know what you find, Hank ....... If your W/H did drain check that your low point drains are not leaking.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
matstam13

Im going to try and put a volt meter on the heating element and see if im getting power to it. Hopefully its a simple fix. I tried the 2 black buttons and nothing happened. As for the shortage of water, it was actually flowing just very low pressure. I wouldnt think that the tank went without water, but who knows. I will let you know what happens with the volt meter. Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Roller4Tan

My suburban water heater quit working on electric as well. No power to heating element. 120volt thermostat was not letting power through even with cold water in the tank. Gas works fine. I haven't had a chance to change out the thermostat yet, but I think that'll fix it for me. Check your continuity on the thermostat with cold water in the tank. My 2 cents. Breaker or switch off of course.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
matstam13

put volt meter on heating element and had 10 ohms there so its def. not the heating element that went out. i also checked the breaker i have power there, i also pulled the to rubber caps off the reset switch and fouond i was pulling voltage at that point. the only place i didnt have power was at the two wire that hook up to the heating element. im thinking roller may be on to something with the thermostat. where exactly is the thermostat on the hot water heater.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Pugtracker

thermostat

thermostat are under the rubber boots, I had a no heat problem and found that my wires to the on off switch had grounded out on the cover of the heater. That switch is an inside switch will wear out pretty quick if used alot due to moisture. I never touch mine I always use the breaker box.
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Roller4Tan

Smile

Update ... replaced thermostat today on the 120v side. Fixed my problem with the water heater.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
Update ... replaced thermostat today on the 120v side. Fixed my problem with the water heater.
Did you think to take any pix and maybe consider writing up what you did so others can learn from your experience?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
matstam13

problem fixed it was the thermostat
Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
parkgirl

So we are having a similar problem: no hot water on the electric. It was working fine when we first arrived at the trailer and then all of a sudden it started running cold. We checked to see that the breaker was okay and also if a fuse had blown. Nothing. So I searched the forum for advice on the issue and saw a post about the reset button(s). We tried pushing each of the rubber things (not really buttons and not at all what is in the picture in the manual provided by the manufacturer). Still didn't get hot water. Turned off both switches (inside and outside), tried pressing the reset again, turned everything back on, waited, and presto, got hot water, thought it was fixed. Used hot water for the rest of the day, by night it was running cold again. In the morning, still cold, pressed the reset again and twenty minutes later had hot water. Had a shower, did a lot of dishes, ran out of hot water and then it didn't heat up again.
Any suggestions? Would this likely be a faulty thermostat? Or is it possibly overheating and is shutting down because of that? what would cause that? Or is this a check valve problem?
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
geeman

Here is what I found on my Suburban Water Heater.

Of course after replacing the thermostat that I thought 'had' to be it.

Possible yours could be similar and just touching, creating more heat and causeing a trip situation. check the wire. If not, sounds like a weak high limit/thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostat.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	3713  
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
parkgirl

Thank you for this. We'll look carefully under those rubber caps. It was very confusing to me, not knowing which rubber cap to press, so we just tried both but didn't feel as if anything was 'being pressed' underneath. Interesting that the two sections are joined by a bar. So I guess theoretically when you press either it should do the trick because they're joined?
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote