Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
howdy
Permanent User Ban

Entry door gas strut

Has anyone found parts for the gas struts that hold the entry doors open 90 degrees? I had my Fuzion parked in front of my house while working on it with the entry door open and a kid can by on her bike, lost balance and slammed into the propped open door breaking the plastic end of the strut that holds it to the ball.

The plastic ends of the struts just screw on and you can purchase replacements. The problem is I can't find anyone that carries that size. Mine is a coarse thread and Camping World dealer and the store and another local dealer only carry the fine thread ends. Its getting to the point to where I am going to just have to special order a whole new strut rather than replacing the $2 end piece. Has anyone been through this and found the coarse thread ends somewhere?

I am tempted to just put the old school latch and hook on the side of the trailer and door so I can swing it open the full 180 degrees. Not a real big fan of these doors that only open half way.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
Has anyone found parts for the gas struts that hold the entry doors open 90 degrees? I had my Fuzion parked in front of my house while working on it with the entry door open and a kid can by on her bike, lost balance and slammed into the propped open door breaking the plastic end of the strut that holds it to the ball.

The plastic ends of the struts just screw on and you can purchase replacements. The problem is I can't find anyone that carries that size. Mine is a coarse thread and Camping World dealer and the store and another local dealer only carry the fine thread ends. Its getting to the point to where I am going to just have to special order a whole new strut rather than replacing the $2 end piece. Has anyone been through this and found the coarse thread ends somewhere?

I am tempted to just put the old school latch and hook on the side of the trailer and door so I can swing it open the full 180 degrees. Not a real big fan of these doors that only open half way.
I like the bold print idea. but have you tried local auto parts stores.
you might be able to buy a strut for the whole thing as long as the heads are the same size.
MY friend has the toy hauler and I dont like the way the door props open.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Rescue16

I Broke the Original door strut 2 days after I got it and got a heavy duty strut and that lasted for 5 days before the plastic end stripped out. Instead of buying another one I fixed both of them by using Gorilla Glue to put the plastic ends back on and put the original one back on. Have not had a problem since!!
Rescue16 is offline   Reply With Quote