Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
turbopilot51

Sewer hose storage

I am wondering what others have done for sewer hose storage on their Alpine? The storage on mine is fairly short compared to my old tt. The Alpine barely holds one length of hose. Any suggestions as for additional storage?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
kroencke

I put all sewer hoses and connections in closed container in front storage area. Like you, wasn't thrilled with the sewer hose storage.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

MY MONTANA 3750 HAD NO SEWR HOSE STORAGE AT ALL I PUT 2 CAMCO TUBES UNDER THE THE FRONT STORAGE COMPARTMENT. IF YOU GO THAT ROUTE DRILL A FEW HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE TUBE THAT WAY YOU GET DRAINAGE AND AIR FLOW AND NO STINK. BARNEY
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
SteveC7010

The absolute worst place to store stinky slinky is the 4"x4" steel rear bumper. The hose is made of thin plastic over a wire coil. The inside of the bumper begins to rust before you take delivery on it. Metal surface rust is abrasive and will quickly wear holes in the hose as you remove and replace it.

I also use the plastic tote bins for all the bits and pieces that go with the sewer hose as well as the sewer hose itself. When you are done dumping and rinsing, you can throw the hose in the bin, spray in a little bleach water and head for home. When you get home or to your next campsite, you can remove the lid and let it dry out with no odor.

When I dump, I use the lid of the tote to keep the sewer hose off the concrete pad at the dump station. Concrete, like rust, is very abrasive.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
I am wondering what others have done for sewer hose storage on their Alpine? The storage on mine is fairly short compared to my old tt. The Alpine barely holds one length of hose. Any suggestions as for additional storage?
Turbopilot51 -

I faced that same question. I got a sewer extension and Camco sewer tube from CW. The tube could open at both ends and the center of the end caps are ventilated. I used some silicon caulk to seal one end but left the vent holes open. Note: I do have the generator prep on my Alpine and have a generator on the starboard of the front compartment. I mounted a L-hook on the port side of the back wall of the front compartment about the same height as the landing gear link. I hung the opening end mount tab of the Camco tube on that hook. Then I scrunched my body in far enough in the door to install an L-hook on the closed end mounting tab at a slightly lower level so the tube hangs at a slight angle - open end up. Now when I need the extension, I just rotate the tube up and it drops out the front compartment. After use, and flush, back into the tube it goes and onto the back wall of the front compartment! The tube is ventilated in the center, so no drips from the lower end.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
mhs4771

I mounted a couple of the white tubes under the front storage compartment, works good for us.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Turbopilot51 -

I faced that same question. I got a sewer extension and Camco sewer tube from CW. The tube could open at both ends and the center of the end caps are ventilated. I used some silicon caulk to seal one end but left the vent holes open. Note: I do have the generator prep on my Alpine and have a generator on the starboard of the front compartment. I mounted a L-hook on the port side of the back wall of the front compartment about the same height as the landing gear link. I hung the opening end mount tab of the Camco tube on that hook. Then I scrunched my body in far enough in the door to install an L-hook on the closed end mounting tab at a slightly lower level so the tube hangs at a slight angle - open end up. Now when I need the extension, I just rotate the tube up and it drops out the front compartment. After use, and flush, back into the tube it goes and onto the back wall of the front compartment! The tube is ventilated in the center, so no drips from the lower end.

Ron
Would you share some pics of your setup?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
dave-g

my cougar has no hose storage. I use pool chlorine bucket. Its 3+ gallons. and looks like a 5 gal bucket but shorter. It has a screw on lid, and seals air tight.

I even put a small piece of pool chlorine table in the bottom, keep it smelling fresh.

When coiled up tight, 2 lengths of flex hose fit.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
Would you share some pics of your setup?
Sure. I'll be over there this afternoon and try to post them this evening.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
grayghost03

Our Montana HC has hose storage compartment, when I first looked at it, I thought what a waste of space, but......... after further examination it holds 25 feet, no problem. I was surprised. Sells man said it would. But what do they know. Our 2006 Sydney, we had a PVC fence post under trailer for storage of hose. And like round pipe, don't forget the holes.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
geo

Quote:
Sure. I'll be over there this afternoon and try to post them this evening.

Ron
TurboPilot51 -

Here are the pictures. You can see that I used a shorter L-hook. Be careful because the plywood is only about 1/2 inch, so you cannot screw it in too deep. I used short eye screws and a short bungee cord to secure it to the wall so it doesn't bounce around. You can see the rotating bar for the front landing gear in the picture, and from that you can see that the hose tube is at a slight angle to it. That way, a rinsed sewer hose that has been shaked dry while connected to the disposal dump, can be stored within the tube and allowed to dry slowly via the vents.

While you are in the front compartment, look up! The chipboard you see is the floorboard of the bedroom under the bed! After discovering this today, I plan to use some styrofoam insulation sheets to insulate this area. That way, I can cut the foam to fit, glue it to the rectagular beams and leave a channel for the hydralics and electrical, and use some non-expanding foam to seal the starboard end.

Let me know what you think!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0179.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0177.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	980  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
turbopilot51

Quote:
TurboPilot51 -

Here are the pictures. You can see that I used a shorter L-hook. Be careful because the plywood is only about 1/2 inch, so you cannot screw it in too deep. I used short eye screws and a short bungee cord to secure it to the wall so it doesn't bounce around. You can see the rotating bar for the front landing gear in the picture, and from that you can see that the hose tube is at a slight angle to it. That way, a rinsed sewer hose that has been shaked dry while connected to the disposal dump, can be stored within the tube and allowed to dry slowly via the vents.

While you are in the front compartment, look up! The chipboard you see is the floorboard of the bedroom under the bed! After discovering this today, I plan to use some styrofoam insulation sheets to insulate this area. That way, I can cut the foam to fit, glue it to the rectagular beams and leave a channel for the hydralics and electrical, and use some non-expanding foam to seal the starboard end.

Let me know what you think!

Ron
Thanks for the pics Geo! I am still learning where stuff is on my rig and a little hesitant drilling holes yet. The stock hose storage tube would better work if it were about two foot longer. There is a frame piece that sticks out that keeps me from installing a longer tube. For now I will just use a plastic storage bin to store the hoses.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
X-Treme

My problem is that none of these storage "tubes" will fit the fittings on the Rhino hose.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
higgs6867

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
My problem is that none of these storage "tubes" will fit the fittings on the Rhino hose.
Yes indeed, I have found this out the hard way.
higgs6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Outbackmel

Sewer hose "storage"

Not a problem if you don't use one Just throw it away and every 3 days open all valves and drive like h*** . That way you NEVER have to worry about storage..
p.s.: never return to the same camp spot
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #16
SteveC7010

Over on the Sunline Club, there are several threads from folks that made up their own carriers for the Rhino hoses using PVC fence post material. Here's one with pics:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ier-11723.html

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
66ken

I made mine from a plastic fence post like was listed on the post. I mounted it under the frame in front of the tires next to the dump valve. Somewhere around $20.00 for the post and end caps.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
halfprice

I just bought the premade pipe sold at CW. I was going to make my own out of 5" or 6" abs/pvc but its hard to find and expensive. I looked at the fence post at Home Depot and its expensive also. SO for the ease of the project I just bought the premade pipe. It came out about the same price.

I dont have the rhino hose and connections. My 5th came with the cheap hoses which are fine for know. While at CW I checked most of the better hoses and fittings and they all fit except the 90* fittings. I think when I buy new better quality hoses I'll just live without the 90*. As long as the fittings have quick adapters I can store them in a case to use if needed.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
reubenray

What size works best - 5" or 6"?