Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Darrell F

Furnace problems

I have a 2012 Cougar 318sab and I am having trouble with my furnace. I have changed my control valve that regulates the switching of the propane tanks, The problem is the furnace comes on and tries to light. It acts like it lights for a second gets hot and then goes cold. The fan is blowing properly and the fan seems to be blowing for the proper amount of time before and after ignition. I have noticed that the regulator turns green showing a full tank then goes red and back to green then back to red while the furnace is trying to do its thing. Almost like the tank is showing empty then full then empty. I have lit my stove and seems like it is strong then gets weak. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it.. Thank you..
Darrell F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll get your furnace repaired/working properly with little "hassle"

It sounds to me like you have a regulator/gas supply problem. It may well be as simple as turning off both propane tanks, loosening the pigtails, retightening the pigtails and then SLOWLY opening each bottle. After doing that, check to see if your furnace operates normally.

Each pigtail and tank have a shut off valve in them to prevent a large volume of propane from being released should you have a broken propane line or major leak. If you open the shut off knobs too fast, the safety valves may actuate and shut down propane flow to a level that causes the furnace to stop working.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem. If not, repost and we'll see what others recommend.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Darrell F

furnace problems

I have replaced the regulator. I have tried to open the valves on the tanks slowly like you suggested. In doing so i noticed that propane is leaking out of a weep hole in what looks like another regulator on the drivers side tank( farthest away from main regulator) the little regulator says 30 psi max and is in line from this tank. Do these go out. My trailer is only two years old. Do you recommend replacing both small pigtails and this inline pressure reg. I have looked over the furnace on the inside and it is all clean. I also thought that it might be a 12 volt problem do you know if it could be. because i had the 12 volt switch in the off position. Thanks for your help
Darrell F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Darrell,

I'm not real familiar with the split tank propane system, but some time ago, one of our members, Hankaye, had some issues very similar to yours. Here is the link to the discussion about his system and what he did to fix it. Within that thread are several links to other threads. It's sort of a jigsaw puzzle, but all the pieces do really fit when you read the thread and the links within it. I hope this helps get you up and running.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ight=regulator

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell F View Post
I have a 2012 Cougar 318sab and I am having trouble with my furnace. I have changed my control valve that regulates the switching of the propane tanks, The problem is the furnace comes on and tries to light. It acts like it lights for a second gets hot and then goes cold. The fan is blowing properly and the fan seems to be blowing for the proper amount of time before and after ignition. I have noticed that the regulator turns green showing a full tank then goes red and back to green then back to red while the furnace is trying to do its thing. Almost like the tank is showing empty then full then empty. I have lit my stove and seems like it is strong then gets weak. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it.. Thank you..
Hi There! Search for posts under my name and you will be able to follow my adventures with the same problem as yours. Yes, the furnace will pull your crossover valve to RED as it takes a lot of gas to run the furnace and very little to run your other appliances. I am concerned about your comment that the red regulator is leaking from the weep hole? Please get a new one and install it as I don't think these guys should leak at all unless they have, or are, failing? They are not very expensive- about $18.00. After we cleaned the spooge out of the propane lines by flushing them with methyl hydrate and blowing them clear the furnace has worked flawlessly. If you try this route be VERY CAREFUL as we darn near had a nasty a$$ fire when we re-fired the water heater up to get the LPG flowing.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote