Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Johnny

Roof Replacement Cost, Is this to high??

I have my 38' fifth at a camper repair shop getting a few things fixed. One being a wash and roof coating. The man told me my roof was about at it's end. It's a 03 Montana. Having talked to earlier owners, the roof has been coated each year. Anyway he wants $80 a foot to replace the roof. Thats $3040. I think that is way to high. I just had my inground pool liner replaced for $3000 and it's a 20 X 40. I plan to shop around, but would like to hear what some of you think is a reasonable cost per foot to replace.

Thanks
JJ
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Johnny

I'm looking at "Liquid Roof" now rather than the rubber replacement roof. Anyone used this product?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We just had a tree fall on our RV, a Springdale 242 fifth wheel. Total repairs were right at $9000. The roof membrane 10' x 35' was $1200 and adhesive, etc was $450. Labor was "all inclusive" so I don't have a breakdown on how much the membrane replacement was vs how much was carpenter work.

When you think about the labor involved to remove all the roof fixtures, all the molding/trim along the sides of the roof, take off the old membrane, repair any damage, prep the OSB for the new roof, layer on adhesive, apply the membrane, stretch/form it to fit, cut holes and reapply all the roof fixtures, reseal and reinstall all the molding/trim along the sides of the roof and then test/clean it for delivery, $3040 may seem a bit high, but in actuality when you consider the supplies needed and a labor rate of probably $75 to $100 an hour at the dealership, that estimate isn't bad.

Remember, the EPDM is warrantied "to the original owner only" for a period of either 10 or 12 years (depending on the brand membrane applied), if the RV is a 2003, it was probably built in 2002, so it's pushing 10 - 12 years old. So, yes, it may be "near the end of its useful life.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I'm looking at "Liquid Roof" now rather than the rubber replacement roof. Anyone used this product?
Johnny, I haven't heard any reports on it other than one member here who applied a roof coating over his existing roof membrane. He reported "good results" do a forum search for "roof coating" it shouldn't be too hard to find.

There are some Line-X dealerships around here that are suggesting that Line-X spray coating (normally used in PU truck beds) is a viable option for a "one time and forget it" spray on coating for RV roofs. How much it would cost and whether it is a "good" option really depends on the lifetime guarantee and how it reads and the cost of installation. Now that Line-X comes in various colors to match truck colors, it may not be a "bad" option if the cost isn't too expensive.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Johnny

Thanks JR...I looked online at the RV Rhino coating. It looks great,but I bet it cost alot. I am going to talk to man working on my camper this afternoon and get his opinion on the Liquid Roof. I read many reviews and if they are legit I may go that way.

Thanks
JJ
Old 10-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
byrdr1

Quote:
I have my 38' fifth at a camper repair shop getting a few things fixed. One being a wash and roof coating. The man told me my roof was about at it's end. It's a 03 Montana. Having talked to earlier owners, the roof has been coated each year. Anyway he wants $80 a foot to replace the roof. Thats $3040. I think that is way to high. I just had my in ground pool liner replaced for $3000 and it's a 20 X 40. I plan to shop around, but would like to hear what some of you think is a reasonable cost per foot to replace.

Thanks
JJ
friend of mine is in this same process. tree hit his roof.
the roof is over $3000 to replace. Insurance is paying for all but the deductible. Bad thing is once the dealership started this repair they found lots of roof rot and the back end was just hanging on, so he had a roof leak somewhere along the lines of ownership. His price has jumped to around $8000.00 now for all repairs with the roof being the only thing covered by insurance. So he is looking to be out $5000.00 of his hard earned money.. The real kicker is he found all this out on Friday 2 weeks ago & he told the dealership to fix it all..
Monday he went to work and his plant is closing, they laided everybody off but him and 3 others. he is the facility manager with 3 maintenance guys working for him, they all are closing it down..working 12 hour days.
He is in the process of building a shop for his camper,tractors, out of doors equipment, etc. He will now spend his concrete floor money to repair camper and then he is wait & see mode..He said i had the money put back for all but will need to hold on to some it now. He is getting the camper fixed because its paid for. dealership told him they could patch it up and he could trade it in.. Always looking for that sale..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Lost

Quote:
On my old 99 5th wheel I used the rubber paint. It's about $75 a gallon. The roof I did was on a 26' 5th wheel so I purchased 2 gallons and coated it twice with a 1/2 gallon left over. The trick, as with all painting is the prep work. I used TSP with a stiff brush to scrub the roof which does a great job BUT make sure you immediately rinse off the sides of your trailer. The STP with take all the wax off. Next I removed all the caulking and replaced it with new caulking. The prep took me about 2 days to do and the actual painting was about a 1/2 hour. The results were fantastic. All the leaks were fixed and the roof looked like new