Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #21
notanlines

Uh,Dan, the term we curmudgeon codgers use is "back in the day." Want me to tell you how much beer I could drink back in the winter of the blue snow?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Uh,Dan, the term we curmudgeon codgers use is "back in the day." Want me to tell you how much beer I could drink back in the winter of the blue snow?

Ahhh, I remember it well! Back then, before we had an outhouse, you had to do "something" to relieve the buildup of all that beer....and the front porch worked well. I can still remember, "back in the day", all the comments of how that yellow accent all across the yard under that blue snow made such a beautiful contrast...... A curmudgeon codger - I'm sending it to my grandgirls, I think they've been looking for a more descriptive word than "grandpa".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:14 AM   #23
Northofu1

Ahhh the good old days.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You make a valid argument. We do have a few erstwhile RV experts who fall into one or both categories. Now when I was a lad... errr.... caught myself!
You're so right George, Just yesterday I saw one start a new thread here...https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...575#post429575
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #25
Scran

Wow....! I'll gladly accept the CODGER moniker. I like it better than being thrown in with the rest of the 'grumpy' Curmudgeons that have replied. Amazing the range of comments and responses one can get, just by asking a question!?

Anyway, despite some reading more into the post than was written or intended; thanks to some, I'm getting exactly what I was looking for. I DO love the Samson's and have had good luck with them. However, my intention was asking (in simple terms) 'what else might meet these specifications out there that some of you might have experience with and/or that I am unaware of'???

I very much appreciate the input offered on the Sailun, Transeagle, and Super Cargo's, as I hadn't known, or thought about, some of those. They DO seem to meet, or exceed, the specifications that I've been running in the Samson's, and just might be a better, and/or more available replacement - which is why I was asking the question in the first place.

My intentions were NOT to 'defend' Samson's, just to let you know I had had very good experience with them and want 'something like them' as a replacement. Also didn't mean to beat anyone over the head about disparaging china-bombs. Just want folks to know there appear to be some very good tires that 'others' seem to label that way. Maybe CW has the right idea 'not doing brands', but just going with the specifications that meet his wants and needs! (Although, CW, not sure where you came up with the idea I put on my tires in 2018.... Don't worry, though, I can easily read things that aren't there into something I read as well. It's part of being a Codger...)

So.......to those willing to help - "Much Appreciated". To those who couldn't find anything positive to offer - RASPBERRIES to you! :>)

CODGER out!
Edge CS2 Programer/Monitor
Scran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Codger Scran welcome to the Codger/ Curmudgeon Chapter of the forum. There are a few topics that seem always generate a lot of replies. Sometimes they can get impassioned. Tires is one, how much truck do I need is another. The diesel vs gas gets things going as well as truck brands.

And now you know why other topics like politics are a no no. Can you even imagine?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #27
Scran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Codger Scran welcome to the Codger/ Curmudgeon Chapter of the forum. There are a few topics that seem always generate a lot of replies. Sometimes they can get impassioned. Tires is one, how much truck do I need is another. The diesel vs gas gets things going as well as truck brands.

And now you know why other topics like politics are a no no. Can you even imagine?
Hope I can be considered a 'Charter Member'! Your reply definitely hit home. Made me LMAO I can totally relate, especially in today's world! Guess I'll leave it alone for awhile, until my case of "Covid Fatigue' gets worse - then maybe I'll start on the truck thread, just for some excitement!
Old 01-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scran View Post
Wow....! I'll gladly accept the CODGER moniker. I like it better than being thrown in with the rest of the 'grumpy' Curmudgeons that have replied. Amazing the range of comments and responses one can get, just by asking a question!?

Anyway, despite some reading more into the post than was written or intended; thanks to some, I'm getting exactly what I was looking for. I DO love the Samson's and have had good luck with them. However, my intention was asking (in simple terms) 'what else might meet these specifications out there that some of you might have experience with and/or that I am unaware of'???

I very much appreciate the input offered on the Sailun, Transeagle, and Super Cargo's, as I hadn't known, or thought about, some of those. They DO seem to meet, or exceed, the specifications that I've been running in the Samson's, and just might be a better, and/or more available replacement - which is why I was asking the question in the first place.

My intentions were NOT to 'defend' Samson's, just to let you know I had had very good experience with them and want 'something like them' as a replacement. Also didn't mean to beat anyone over the head about disparaging china-bombs. Just want folks to know there appear to be some very good tires that 'others' seem to label that way. Maybe CW has the right idea 'not doing brands', but just going with the specifications that meet his wants and needs! (Although, CW, not sure where you came up with the idea I put on my tires in 2018.... Don't worry, though, I can easily read things that aren't there into something I read as well. It's part of being a Codger...)

So.......to those willing to help - "Much Appreciated". To those who couldn't find anything positive to offer - RASPBERRIES to you! :>)

CODGER out!

Scran, an old codger/curmudgeon? here again. You initial post seemed very much like a strong defense, and reinforcement of you "like" of Samson tires - a "pre-rebuttal" of any possible concerns maybe? That, along with the fact that you emphasized you "LOVED THEM" is what prompted my initial post questioning why you would ask an open ended question like you did.

Now, if you're concerned about availability, as I would be and mentioned, I would look for something else. I do not buy off brand tires or anything else so can't speak to those (including TransEagle). If cost is a consideration as you said regarding the Endurance and G614 there are other options though not as many in the LRG size. Carlisle has come out with the CSL 16 and if as good as their existing trailer tire lines (yes they had problems years ago) they might be an alternative - but, they are pretty new. After that I would look at Sailun S637s which I put on this trailer before it left the lot. I was worried about availability but when I checked the tire stores they had them and the folks I bought these from had 63 in their warehouse.

Those would be my thoughts. I didn't say that initially because it sounded like you LOVED your Samsons, wanted to defend "china bombs" and wanted someone to shoot holes in your preferences.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #29
Scran

No offense taken, sourdough! Unbelievably, I've gotten quite a few comments about the Samson's - most not good. As such, I may have been a bit defensive in my comments, as I was preparing for some to indicate buying them is just 'stupid' - when my experience clearly shows that is NOT true! They have served us very well, and at a considerable cost-savings to many others with similar specifications. I'm not so naive to believe that just because someone will charge me 'twice' what I could pay for something else - what they're selling is twice as good! I've proven those folks wrong time and time again!

As indicated, my goal was to maybe see what else is out there, and my mission has been accomplished. Some ARE much more available, are likely to have been improved on, and IMO are worth a try! I appreciate the input!
Old 01-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #30
gearhead

I spent the afternoon at the tire shop. Got the new Hercules Strong Guards mounted and balanced. Sorted "wow'ed" the guys by lifting the trailer wheels off the ground with the Level Up system. The BAL under mount spare system failed. It extended to remove the spare but wouldn't retract to re-install the spare, so I'll be carrying the spare in the truck bed. What a POS. I'll let ya know how the Hercules perform.
I'll be expecting a wallet card as a member of the Old Grumpy Guys. Do we have hats yet?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'll be expecting a wallet card as a member of the Old Grumpy Guys. Do we have hats yet?

I've not seen the new "Old Grumpy Guys" hats yet - I do have one that was given to me by my employees when I retired but the wording would be inappropriate to post on a family friendly forum..... I think they loved me..(I think).
Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #32
gearhead

I'm thinking what initials we could put on the hats...MGGHA...
Make Grumpy Guys Happy Again?
But that might attract some unsolicited offers.
No, I better not go there.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #33
Northofu1

Just delivered, take your pick
Attached Images

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #34
Scran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm thinking what initials we could put on the hats...MGGHA...
Make Grumpy Guys Happy Again?
But that might attract some unsolicited offers.
No, I better not go there.
I don't know..... seems like a bunch of Grumpy Old Guys might benefit from a few unsolicited offers! How else do you make Grumpy Old Guys Happy Again? Might be interesting!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #35
gearhead

Yeah it would be interesting.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scran View Post
I don't know..... seems like a bunch of Grumpy Old Guys might benefit from a few unsolicited offers! How else do you make Grumpy Old Guys Happy Again? Might be interesting!

Aww, I don't know. I AM a grumpy old guy and I don't like unsolicited offers from anyone about anything, so, that wouldn't go well. How do you make Grumpy Old Guys happy again? Guess that would be between DW and myself, the pizza guy offering me a "free" pizza or maybe a Grumpy Old Guys Happy Again free hat! After that I am not the person you want to ply with unknown "offers".
Old 01-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #37
CWtheMan

Chatter

There is a forum for chatter. Site team members should know that.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...play.php?f=140
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There is a forum for chatter. Site team members should know that.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...play.php?f=140

Cal, virtually every thread on every topic wanders all around the initial subject as different comments are made....you know that and I know that. If every comment made in every thread on every subject that morphed into a "chatter" type comment was moved or redirected to another topic area the threads, and the site, would be unmanageable and unreadable. If you don't want to read about grumpy old folks don't read the posts.

Now, if someone wants to put out a post with some grumpy old men hats for sale or a discussion of them in particular, yes, that would go in a different thread. This sidebar conversation is in the "5th wheel" forum - and yes, grumpy old folks own them and buy tires for them. Following your premise the entire conversation should have been moved to the tires section and every other comment, other than those directly related to the tires, should have been moved or deleted - that's not logical.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #39
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Cal, virtually every thread on every topic wanders all around the initial subject as different comments are made....you know that and I know that. If every comment made in every thread on every subject that morphed into a "chatter" type comment was moved or redirected to another topic area the threads, and the site, would be unmanageable and unreadable. If you don't want to read about grumpy old folks don't read the posts.

Now, if someone wants to put out a post with some grumpy old men hats for sale or a discussion of them in particular, yes, that would go in a different thread. This sidebar conversation is in the "5th wheel" forum - and yes, grumpy old folks own them and buy tires for them. Following your premise the entire conversation should have been moved to the tires section and every other comment, other than those directly related to the tires, should have been moved or deleted - that's not logical.
This tire thread has morphed into something else and you know it.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
This tire thread has morphed into something else and you know it.

"If you don't want to read about grumpy old folks don't read the posts." That would go for anything else that you feel you're not interested in.

Tags
tires