Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Was thinking more about LewisB's post as it was just prior to mine. I do understand old age related health issues probably a lot more than you might think. I played a lot of football when I was a kid and have bad knees, back and poorly healed broken stuff and don't appreciate doing mechanic work but I do it when I can, like you. I retired from the Federal Govt under King Willie the Great when he gave early outs to mid level employees to balance the Fed budget and I do get a pension from that, my SS check (very small) and the income from my little business (vintage Japanese carburetor rebuilding and sale). I also have few bills (vehicles/hose, etc. paid) but couldn't afford to buy a $70K truck and eat. If you can afford it, that is wonderful but if not, you make due with a 2006 F350 clunker and an older camper. New isn't for me and not because it wouldn't be fun but because of finances.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
A lot of us poor folk can't just run out and buy a new truck if the brake pads are worn; we learn to fix things or save up and have a pro fix them. New trucks are not for everybody in today's economy.
I also wasn’t trying to say that it’s so easy to buy a new truck. I suggested it because if you look at the op’s prior posts from 2018. He seemed to have the same issue and the same question back then. He mentioned leaking steering boxes and shocks replaced and front end replaced..I figured if after two years and no one could figure out then it’s probably time for a new or “new used “ truck.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #23
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I also wasn’t trying to say that it’s so easy to buy a new truck. I suggested it because if you look at the op’s prior posts from 2018. He seemed to have the same issue and the same question back then. He mentioned leaking steering boxes and shocks replaced and front end replaced..I figured if after two years and no one could figure out then it’s probably time for a new or “new used “ truck.
They are easy to buy just dam hard to pay for
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #24
Sarge2

I can remember when there was a time that having breakdowns or road side thrashes to fix your vehicle was part of the "adventure"... Not so much the case anymore as the old bones don't like kneeling, crawling or lying under your vehicle.. Golden years my Butt... lol
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Was thinking more about LewisB's post as it was just prior to mine. I do understand old age related health issues probably a lot more than you might think. I played a lot of football when I was a kid and have bad knees, back and poorly healed broken stuff and don't appreciate doing mechanic work but I do it when I can, like you. I retired from the Federal Govt under King Willie the Great when he gave early outs to mid level employees to balance the Fed budget and I do get a pension from that, my SS check (very small) and the income from my little business (vintage Japanese carburetor rebuilding and sale). I also have few bills (vehicles/hose, etc. paid) but couldn't afford to buy a $70K truck and eat. If you can afford it, that is wonderful but if not, you make due with a 2006 F350 clunker and an older camper. New isn't for me and not because it wouldn't be fun but because of finances.
I also like to fix all of my things. I work on both my boats. Everything down to engines and all of the dirty work. Make tools to replicate specialty tools that cost an arm and a leg, I spent a week pulling a hemi motor out of a junk truck by myself with an old case backhoe I have and lots of cussing. I was on my back pulling my front driveshaft out of my 2012 ram 2500 last weekand sent it out to have the Double Cardon joint welded on (new end piece) and new ujoints. I usually do all of the hard dirty work and have shop only do alignments and specialty work.
Rebuilt the top end on my sons other boat that we bought with a Volvo 6 cylinder diesel. The engine was locked up from water intrusion with only 400 hours. I got it to break free after a week of rocking it back and forth and pb blaster. Honed the one cylinder and had the head,turbo and injection pump rebuilt. It was like a new engine after.
I respect anyone that can work on there own stuff. My knees hurt after crawling around on the ground now. Gonna by a car lift next
I couldn’t fix my way out of my over weight problem unfortunately....my son said why don’t we just buy a new motor dad? I said because your grandfather would get THIS motor running just because he knew he could....even though he could have bought 10 new motors
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Hey on a side note what is the newest carb you mess around with? I just picked up a Honda aero 50 my friend gave me. Hasn’t run in 20 years.
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Hey on a side note what is the newest carb you mess around with? I just picked up a Honda aero 50 my friend gave me. Hasn’t run in 20 years.
I am just finishing a 1965 CL77 pair of Keihin round slide carbs; carb kits to be delivered today and mail is sloooooooooooooooow. Last evening our poor mail carrier didn't drop off out at the road until almost 6PM. Last order i took in was a 96 Kaw ZX-7RR. When I started my business, vintage meant 60s-70s and now vintage is every bike that has a carburetor as the OEM shops won't work on anything over a few years old and the "techs" don't do carburetors, period.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #28
jasin1

I will keep you in mind. Pm me your business info if your interested. I have my daughters ttr125 we still keep at the house and I have a 13 year old Polaris 4 wheeler plus out board motors and tractors ,generators lol. By the time I get around to using stuff if I forgot to use stabil then it’s ripping a carb apart. Hard to find a good person who actually knows carburetors and doesn’t just replace parts
Old 12-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #29
dieselsmoke

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ackbar-rebuild

These panhard bar bushings solved my problem. I had death wobble on my 2007 ram diesel. Everything was tight but these harder than factory bushings stoped the axle from any side to side motion. AFter these bushings went in it never happen again. And just for the heck of it... My death wobble was prone to happen when crossing over a bridge or something that was at an angle to the highway Good luck

2012 ram 2500 cummins mega-cab
2014 hideout 298bhds 5th wheel
dieselsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #30
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
1st get a new mechanic...

2nd find a good Dodge front end guy and let him rebuild the front end.. and put a good steering dampener on it..

3rd.. I thought everyone knew Dodge front ends suck..

ROFL ya what he said! GET A NEW MECHANIC!

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #31
BDaigle

Death Wobble

I had that rear its ugly head on my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. All of the front end components were inspected and everything checked out good. What was found was that my tires were out of balance. Once they were balanced I never had the issue again.
BDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #32
03hogrdr

I have the same exact truck with the same exact problem. Pulled lots of trailers including 30' pull behind toy hauler. I had a weight distributing hitch on that one though. Done tons of research. What made the most sense to me was to check the front end components for word out parts, change the front factory sway bar bushing to the neoprene bushings and put on a heavy duty steering damper. Done all of this so far but have not taken any long trips with my fifth wheel since making those changes. My best guess is to put on the rear air bag suspension and that's my next mod if it happens again. BTW, 2005 Quad cab, Cummins, Auto, w/ 220K miles, front end rebuilt at 180K so don't think it's anything else in the front end.
03hogrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #33
Shedboy

Isolate the mechanics from the tires by:
a. lift the front end off of the ground
b. disconnect damper (if there is one).
c. quickly pivot one tire by hand back and forth as if it was making a turn
d. observe if both tires pivot together or is there a hesitation in the tire that you are not handling
e. if hesitation, examine links,tie rod, ball joints, steering arm etc. for one member moving without the connecting member responding immediately
f. If all components are "tight" it is probably the tires, a worn steering gear or upstream from the steering gear box (steering shaft U-joint?).
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #34
rs1718

Genos is a great company. I have been doing business with them for 15 years. Great people. I was in Cumming Georgia a few years back and stopped in to check the place out. They gave me a tour of the operation and gave me some free shirts, calendars.
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #35
mossdavidh

Death wobble

It is the track bar. It is a common problem. My son had his done on his 2013 3500 at midas and got a lifetime warranty
mossdavidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #36
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2wings View Post
I have a 2005 dodge 2500 diesel cummins..It gose into a death wobble and I don't know how to correct it. My mechanic doesn't hace any ideas,
Any help would be appreciated..
I'm really surprised no one has yet to touch on this question. Is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? There are several differences between the two concerning suspension and steering components. If you let me know, I can see if I have a steering and suspension diagram available.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 that developed the death wobble. It was more pronounced when going down hill and after touching the brakes. I had several shops look at it and they recommended ball joints, new tires, tie rod ends, steering damper, alignment, etc. I finally had one shop figure it out and show me where the issue was. The upper and lower control arm bushings were shot. I ended up getting new control arms and replacing all four. Got an alignment and it was all good up to the day I gave it to my grandson. Now he has had it for the past 2 years with no issues.

Not saying this is your problem, but it would help to know the drivetrain.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #37
BoondockingBakers

Bought a Ford F350 and had death wobble twice within the very first year (brand spankin new). That's all it took for me. I traded it in at only 1 year old for a GMC Sierra Denali and have never regretted it. I did a lot of research and figured I'd be safe with independent front suspension. I was right and I love my GMC. I've had it for 5 years now and it tows our Keystone Fuzion FZ300 toy hauler like a dream.
BoondockingBakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #38
MN Roger

No need to rebuild anything. It’s your steering dampener. A simple half-hour replace. Some Jeeps and Super Duties can suffer the same wobble over time.
MN Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
Kzneft

If you go to Powestrokehelp.com it goes over the cause of Death Wobble. Of course this is for Fords, but I imagine the Dodge trucks would have a similar cause. Informative video to watch. It will help you determine the cause and the fix.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #40
Harveyman53

Lots of good advice already. Most important to get a new mechanic,
Harveyman53 is offline   Reply With Quote