Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #21
alpo

I thought about it and I think I would still have to climb up and clean off the top before running in the slides, there is too much gap on the sides where debris will blow in even with toppers. Too much chance for damaging the Seals and/or Slides not to.
alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
Dallasrules

My first older rv had slide toppers. When I took out the flooring on the slide, the plywood was pristine at almost 20 years old. My next 5ver did not have them and all 3 slides had rot on both ends. I'm not saying toppers will prevent floor rot, but I have seen much less with toppers than without.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #23
shrtmem

[QUOTE=flybouy;424764]I've had trailers without and with. I'll never own another without slide toppers. Pros/cons for me:
Pros:
Slide is noticeably cooler in direct sun.
No more debris on top of slide i.e. Pine needles, leaves, acorns, etc.
Typically no to very little water on top after pulling in the slide.

I agree about being cooler in direct sun. I picked white for my toppers. We had them installed and the rv guy thought that was unusual as a lot of people were picking black. I wanted white to reflect heat.
shrtmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=shrtmem;425456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've had trailers without and with. I'll never own another without slide toppers. Pros/cons for me:
Pros:
Slide is noticeably cooler in direct sun.
No more debris on top of slide i.e. Pine needles, leaves, acorns, etc.
Typically no to very little water on top after pulling in the slide.

I agree about being cooler in direct sun. I picked white for my toppers. We had them installed and the rv guy thought that was unusual as a lot of people were picking black. I wanted white to reflect heat.
Mine are white also. I'll take function over fashion but that's just me. For a while it seemed like some manufacturers were building slide outs that had very dark exterior walls. I've spoken with a few of those owners in campgrounds and they all complained about the heat.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #25
ACJCF2

Yes to slide toppers. Previous pull behind had them, the new TH doesn't, but it will. Good prices on e-trailer. Definitely more pros than cons.
Retired Asst. Fire Chief
Keep Calm, Play Tuba
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #26
jimborokz

Seems the divide here is East and West.
If you're in W. Texas or the Cal or Oregon coast the wind is certainly an issue and I can see where you would not want them.

Our winter site is in NW GA under a nice grove of tall pines. All winter we hear the pine cones bouncing on the roof and oh, those long pine needles are all over. Our previous 5er didn't have the toppers and I had to climb the roof every time we wanted to hook up and go somewhere. Gettin' too old for that though and I'm sure glad we have them on our Monty. Just pull in the 6 slides and watch the needles all fall off.

On the other hand I guess solar wouldn't do much for me where as in the SW where there is lots of sun it makes sense.

You gotta go with what works for you.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #27
Todd 423

I think that they are a good investment.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #28
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
I thought about it and I think I would still have to climb up and clean off the top before running in the slides, there is too much gap on the sides where debris will blow in even with toppers. Too much chance for damaging the Seals and/or Slides not to.
Not a real problem as long as they are sized properly.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #29
Wing-in-it

make sure there’s a sub structure to mount them to. My dealer was willing to install them on my TT, but When I called Keystone, they said my rig had no good mounting structure for slide toppers.

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #30
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Seems the divide here is East and West.
If you're in W. Texas or the Cal or Oregon coast the wind is certainly an issue and I can see where you would not want them...…..

You gotta go with what works for you.
Well, I live in Oregon, but not on the coast. Do spend 8-10 weekends a year on the coast and wind has never been a problem. Never though/worried about it until this thread.

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
If installed correctly & the proper length any debris to get under them has to come in straight sideways, which is highly unlikely.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #32
Frosty46

Slide out t awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Any thoughts, positve or negative, on adding slide toppers ? The first time I used my TT was in a very nice campground which advertised "camping in the pines". It was definitely under the pine trees. Had pine needles all over the top of my slides.
I have them on our Raptor from day one and they are great, almost a necessity
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:31 AM   #33
Rber1234

I installed my slide topper myself and haven’t regretted it one bit. Dealer wanted $800 to add one but it only cost me around $300. Bought it on Amazon. It will definitely keep water and debris off your slide
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:00 AM   #34
FordFella

More slides = more problems. BUT, if you have sides, slide toppers will greatly decrease problems and help increase the life of your rig.

The standard choices for slide topper assemblies are Lippert, Dometic, and Carefree. None of them come with fabric/vinyl that will last very long. Once the original fabric/vinyl wears out, give Stone Vos RV awnings a call for replacements. Their stuff is MUCH better and they use lifetime thread.

So, slide toppers = yes
Brand choice = whatever works best for your rig
Durability = call Stone Vos after your fabric wears out and you'll be good to go.

www.stonevos.com
352-942-0224
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #35
Happycamper2018

When i orders my on amazon the 9'6" toppper was a little over sized and had to off set it about 1"1/2 inches for it would clear the awning arm and it works fine , they tell you to center them which is true. Jus tthrowing this out there if anyone run in to this problem , BIGGER IS BETTER ON WIDTH
Happycamper2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #36
BrooksFam

Just my experience. I had Carefree slide toppers (2) and awning on my motor home for 14 years before I sold it and never had a problem with the material and it still looked great when I sold it. Not sure why there are so many comments about the short life of the material.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #37
BPOP

I installed Solara toppers on my last 2 TT's, my first I ordered the wrong size, it was as wide as the slide but did not overhang the ends enough, on my new 273bh I made sure the topper material was as wide as the slide flange not the slide walls and have good coverage now, just a note to make sure you measure and order what you need in material width, I learned from my mistake!
BPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #38
chunker

I've had them on every RV since 2011 and will on the next. The motorhome, a 2007 Itasca Horizon had them, 4 slides, and also had the alumaguard sections. That hinged metal section protected the slide awnings from the sun when the slides were in. The alumaguard sections were also on the main, door and 2 window awnings, but then again the Horizon was the top trim for Winnebago in those years.

Northwood offers that option on their top Silver Fox/Grande Ronde 5th wheels. Too bad Keystone is so backwards not to offer it.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #39
PetersonPower

Hi,
Definitely recommend toppers. They save clearing debri and aid in water run-off. Both protections are worth it
PetersonPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide