Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #21
crowbar

As of May 11 the US had 24.66 deaths per 100,000 due to Covid. The death rate for cancer is 163.5. Rather enlightening? Do we hide everyday worrying about cancer? No. Why not? It's there; it can happen and will happen to someone, maybe you, maybe someone you know/love. Do we quit living because of it? No.

With Covid accounting for about 15% as many deaths as cancer I'm thinking I'm not going to stop living because I'm bombarded daily with the new "scare" of the day.

Comparing cancer to covid is like comparing Harley to Vespa. I'd have no problem sitting in a room full of cancer patients but if one of them had covid, I wouldn't even be in the building!
crowbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Since we don't know who has Covid, and never will, would we just then go to a "safe" place and never come out until a vaccine, however effective, comes out? Something is going to get us one way or the other and there's not a thing we can do about it. Hiding from the unknown serves no purpose except to make the person hiding feel like they are doing something about it - but they aren't.

Take reasonable precautions and go about your business. As has already been said by the scientific community, only a sick person can spread the virus, they have to be in close proximity to you, they have to cough or do something to get that virus to you. 99% of the folks don't have the virus. In fact .00455% of the population has been found infected (1.52M vs 335M) or in other words, 99.5% of the population is virus free at this point. Also consider that upon the outset of the virus ALL experts agreed that a mask was ineffective for a well person in defense of the virus. They all agreed that a person infected could mitigate the spread by the use of a mask. Now, if you are infected you are quarantined until it is proven you no longer have it so.....exactly why is the entire population supposed to wear a mask, stay inside, don't shop, don't do this and don't do that while at the same time destroying MILLIONS of lives?? Since we quarantine all known cases are we grinding life to a halt because we're afraid of that .5% out there running around and that we may actually stand in front of one of them when they cough (remember that we have quarantined all that have been found infected so that .5% is smaller). It makes no logical sense in any way. If we listen to the hype of the biased media and some government officials it's the end of the world. If we stop, study and look at the numbers we see an entirely different, unscary reality. The Bible tells us to "study to show thyself approved"; this would be a good time for folks to do a little "studying" instead of being driven into a frenzy by propaganda.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #23
crowbar

[QUOTE=sourdough;390893]Since we don't know who has Covid, and never will, would we just then go to a "safe" place and never come out until a vaccine, however effective, comes out? Something is going to get us one way or the other and there's not a thing we can do about it. Hiding from the unknown serves no purpose except to make the person hiding feel like they are doing something about it - but they aren't.

Take reasonable precautions and go about your business. As has already been said by the scientific community, only a sick person can spread the virus,
...You're talking to the wrong scientist. Lots of people have the virus but are not sick...
they have to be in close proximity to you, they have to cough or do something to get that virus to you.
… You can also get the virus by touching something an infected person touched and then touching your face...
99% of the folks don't have the virus. In fact .00455% of the population has been found infected (1.52M vs 335M) or in other words, 99.5% of the population is virus free at this point.
...You just stated in the opening paragraph that we don't know who has the virus and never will???...
Also consider that upon the outset of the virus ALL experts agreed that a mask was ineffective for a well person in defense of the virus. They all agreed that a person infected could mitigate the spread by the use of a mask.
...I agree and don't wear one...
Now, if you are infected you are quarantined until it is proven you no longer have it so.....exactly why is the entire population supposed to wear a mask, stay inside, don't shop, don't do this and don't do that while at the same time destroying MILLIONS of lives?? Since we quarantine all known cases are we grinding life to a halt because we're afraid of that .5% out there running around and that we may actually stand in front of one of them when they cough (remember that we have quarantined all that have been found infected so that .5% is smaller). It makes no logical sense in any way. If we listen to the hype of the biased media and some government officials it's the end of the world.
...I don't listen to any b.s. or believe everything I read. I am also unafraid...
If we stop, study and look at the numbers we see an entirely different, unscary reality. The Bible tells us to "study to show thyself approved"; this would be a good time for folks to do a little "studying" instead of being driven into a frenzy by propaganda.
...I agree but since you mention the Bible, Proverbs says "The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself, But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences." Here's hoping you stay safe and healthy this year!
crowbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Hoping you stay safe and well also! We all view this "thing" in our own way and take whatever precautions we deem necessary for ourselves. Don't know that there is a right or wrong way to approach it. I do know I worry more about "the one" that's going to get me being a drunk driver in the oncoming car vs this - but to each his own.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

My daughter posted this on her "social media account" this morning. Very fitting, IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEAR.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	27404  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #26
aaron_huber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Do we hide everyday worrying about cancer? No. Why not? It's there; it can happen and will happen to someone, maybe you, maybe someone you know/love. Do we quit living because of it? No.
If half the people in a room would get cancer just from being there, and a couple of them were dead before the month was out, I'd like to bet people would be a bit more worried about cancer as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm

Aaron
Old 05-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

If in fact I sat in a room with 122 people, rubbing elbows and sharing coughs....I had already lost my mind anyway.... Again, when every person that gets sick from anything is promoted as Covid, when hospitals are paid to have "Covid", when certain factions of the government "want" the Covid numbers to skyrocket....yep, I have a filter for that "info". Now Aaron, figure that the CDC has one focus....only one, disease and what to do about it (hopefully, and without political bias...doubtfully). Making recommendations that have not a single consideration but controlling/preventing the disease without thought for the people's welfare as a whole, the country, the economy...I assume you can see that their assessment will be a little "off to one corner" along with their "direction" for the public. Again, when the numbers (stats) show that it is the most contagious thing humans have ever encountered, requiring the most drastic actions ever taken against the population in history I'll buy into it. Until then, and as is being proven the longer we watch, it's not killing the planet, it's a virus we have not seen and will take it's toll. Reasonable precautions...not thinking every human you encounter is going to infect/kill you...it makes no sense and the numbers reflect that.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #28
aaron_huber

Quote:
Again, when every person that gets sick from anything is promoted as Covid, when hospitals are paid to have "Covid", when certain factions of the government "want" the Covid numbers to skyrocket....yep, I have a filter for that "info".
There are obviously going to be cases where someone will have a motive for saying a person died of the virus when it was something else, and profit is always a big motive if there is extra money in it for the hospitals or insurance companies. But I think there is enough evidence to say it's a simple fact that all of a sudden far more people are dying than normally would be given the strangely consistent rate that people tend to die in our country:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

Assuming you are correct and some or most of the "COVID" deaths are really something else, wouldn't it be a bit of a coincidence for all other causes of death to just spike all of a sudden? Especially considering that some causes of death have probably dropped recently, like less car crashes because fewer people are driving all of a sudden?

It all boils down to what you consider reasonable which is by nature a subjective thing. I think we both agree on two things: so far it hasn't been as bad as some early predictions, and the odds of bumping into someone who is infected for most people are clearly very low.

Based on my personal research, I think those things are true because of social distancing, and I'm concerned that if we start up too quickly we'll cause them to no longer be true. On the other hand, you could be right that it's true because the virus really is not a big deal.

The simple truth for me is that if it makes it less likely that I'll pass on the virus to my family and friends, especially if I'm infected and don't know it like that poor person from the choir who probably feels pretty bad, then I'm OK wearing a mask when I go out, and sticking at home when I can.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 AM   #29
jimborokz

I'm guessing this whole thing will be over on Nov 4.
JMHO
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #30
notanlines

I believe Travelling Texan had it right awhile back: We now take you back to our regularly scheduled programing. The Covid 19 crappola has its own thread.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I'm guessing this whole thing will be over on Nov 4.
JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe Travelling Texan had it right awhile back: We now take you back to our regularly scheduled programing. The Covid 19 crappola has its own thread.
Amen to both of you!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #32
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Actually we didn't go thru Louisiana. I had several conversations with the state of FL about the roadblock and what was going on. They said if you "had been in" Louisiana within the last 14 days; been in, not overnight or spent time there. If that was the case you were diverted, filled out a questionnaire and then quarantined at your location for a minimum of 14 days or however long your stay was if less than that. So I would not run afoul of that we just shot up to Texarkana and skimmed over LA staying in AR then dropped down into Vicksburg on 61 (the highway our RV park is on anyway) then resumed travel on I20. With the situation we have in FL I could not afford to be "quarantined" in the trailer for 14 days - we have more important things to do.
So, just driving through Louisiana, to get to Florida, is grounds for quarantine?

We were supposed to fly to Pensacola, on June 4th, to spend time with my Cousin and his GF on his 41' sailboat and I just cancelled the flight since we did not want to fly in a germ tube.

The new plan was to drive but now I might just go a day early, meet them in Jackson MS and ride the rest of the way with them.

I will be so glad when all of this ridiculousness is over.

I found some interesting stats:

Texas 1.9 deaths per 100,000 (549 total deaths)
Florida 4.0 deaths per 100,000 (866 total deaths)
Mississippi 6.1 deaths per 100,000 (183 total deaths)
Louisiana 30.2 deaths per 100,000 (1,405 total deaths)

Compared to a few other places:

California 3.3 deaths per 100,000 (1,316 total deaths)
Rhode Island1 6.1 deaths per 100,000 (171 total deaths)
Pennsylvania 12.3 deaths per 100,000 (1,576 total deaths)
Washington, D.C. 15.9 deaths per 100,000 (112 total deaths)
Massachusetts 28.5 deaths per 100,000 (1,961 total deaths)
Connecticut 39.9 deaths per 100,000 (1,423 total deaths)
New Jersey 53.5 deaths per 100,000 (4,753 total deaths)
New York 76.2 deaths per 100,000 (14,828 total deaths)

Be safe out there.

-Brian
Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Brian, the question they ask is "have you been in xyz state in the last 14 days". If the answer is affirmative for one of the prohibited states you go to the "special" line, they take your info and then if going to be in FL you are required to quarantine for 14 days at your location (which you had to provide) or as long as you are there if less. So just driving through will put you in "that" line.

I tried to pull up your profile location info to give you more specific information but Texas Alabama is not a real location so what I've provided is all I can do.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #34
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Brian, the question they ask is "have you been in xyz state in the last 14 days". If the answer is affirmative for one of the prohibited states you go to the "special" line, they take your info and then if going to be in FL you are required to quarantine for 14 days at your location (which you had to provide) or as long as you are there if less. So just driving through will put you in "that" line.

I tried to pull up your profile location info to give you more specific information but Texas Alabama is not a real location so what I've provided is all I can do.
Hi Danny,

I have no idea how I ended up living in Texas Alabama , I am sure a screw up on my part.

I am in Plano and our plan now is drive to my Cousin's place, outside of Jackson MS, spend the night and ride with them to Pensacola... no mention of ever being in the "non-desirable" state of Louisiana as we drove through will be mentioned

The plan we made, back in January, was to be in Pensacola on June 4 -9, for the B.E.E.R Cruise, which has now been officially cancelled, this was the original itinerary... so now we will just add a day to either end, drive out and spend the time sailing with my favorite Cousin... just the 4 of us... social distancing and everything... good food, great company and plenty of liquor

Thanks for responding.

-Brian
Old 05-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #35
mfifield01

We drove from Texas to Alabama last Saturday. I'm about 10 miles from Florida, but have no plans to go to Florida. I've noticed that most don't wear masks in Louisiana and Alabama at stores. Almost everyone wears a mask near my home, but I live just outside of Austin. The beaches are busy, but it doesn't look like the pictures coming from the media.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Hi Danny,

I have no idea how I ended up living in Texas Alabama , I am sure a screw up on my part.

I am in Plano and our plan now is drive to my Cousin's place, outside of Jackson MS, spend the night and ride with them to Pensacola... no mention of ever being in the "non-desirable" state of Louisiana as we drove through will be mentioned

The plan we made, back in January, was to be in Pensacola on June 4 -9, for the B.E.E.R Cruise, which has now been officially cancelled, this was the original itinerary... so now we will just add a day to either end, drive out and spend the time sailing with my favorite Cousin... just the 4 of us... social distancing and everything... good food, great company and plenty of liquor

Thanks for responding.

-Brian

Sounds like you will be taking the same route we do; Jackson to Hattiesburg to Mobile then Pensacola. On your route you probably won't even have to stop in LA so you can just roll on through. They way the question was phrased to me required a yes or no answer so if you reply in the negative you are just waved back to the freeway. Good luck and have fun.

I will note that there is no telling what the beaches, marinas etc. will be like if they are like here. Seems with everyone "off" and nothing to do they have now found our little private beach areas we used to have basically to ourselves so in a larger area there's no telling.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #37
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Sounds like you will be taking the same route we do; Jackson to Hattiesburg to Mobile then Pensacola. On your route you probably won't even have to stop in LA so you can just roll on through. They way the question was phrased to me required a yes or no answer so if you reply in the negative you are just waved back to the freeway. Good luck and have fun.

I will note that there is no telling what the beaches, marinas etc. will be like if they are like here. Seems with everyone "off" and nothing to do they have now found our little private beach areas we used to have basically to ourselves so in a larger area there's no telling.
I think we should be able to make Jackson without stopping and once there we can load up enough supplies to hold us on the boat for the whole time we are there.

It will be just like boon-docking in the camper, except we can jump off the deck and go swimming. The boat has a generator, AC, fridge, freezer, oven, stove, BBQ, 2 state rooms and 2 heads. He has a dingy if we run out of ice or other essentials.

We can find a nice quiet spot and drop anchor, no need to mingle with others.

I am looking forward to some relaxing time with the DW, we celebrate our 40th this weekend.

-Brian
Old 05-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the 40th and have a great time.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Brian enjoy that 40 th. We "celebrated" our 40 th in a less than desirable altho memorable fashion. Ours is third week in March. Covid canceled the cruise. We both had symptoms of Covid, went to hospital and spent the night apart in isolation rooms. Test said negative but?

So enjoy your anniversary and don't sweat any small things, trust me it could be worse!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote