Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
marcortez

A "soft" floor in lightweights?

Can someone, with perhaps a Passport model, please describe the sensation of the flooring when walked on?..

Per the specs, I am seeing the flooring is of 2" laminated material, framed with aluminum supports.

Is this flooring "squishy"?.....or any other terms that would suggest less than a solid and durable walking surface.

Actual lightweight trailer model owners, past and present, with the laminated flooring, may provide a more insight than "I heard" scenarios.

Thank you
marcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Tbos

In my 2nd Passport. No squishy floor. There is one spot on my current 2810 near the center floor vent that has a little give but I think that is due to the way the supports are in that area.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
JimQ

If you remove one of the floor vents, you will see that these lightweight trailer floors are made of Styrofoam sandwiched in between two sheets of very thin plywood. Yes they can flex. I had excessive flexing in the area in front of my sofa and Keystone authorized an added support be welded underneath which they authorized before my warranty expired. On the light weight trailers you have to give up certain things in order to keep the weight down.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
poppin_fresh

My 2016 Bullet floor does not squish at all. It feels just as solid as our house, aside from the normal TT and stabilizer wiggle.
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
1l243

I have not noticed any give on my Premier Bullet 19fbpr
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
CrazyCain

I have just a little "give" in the flooring near the door on my 2017 Hideout 177LHS.. seems normal.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:24 AM   #7
PT RV`er

I don`t feel any soft spots on mine.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
bill-e

I have the Xlite floor and it is indeed spongy. There are no soft spots as one would describe like a rotten or wet floor but if you weigh enough and pay attention you can feel the give in the floor.

I added stabilizers to my camper because it seemed to move a lot but they didn't remove all the bounce feeling because much of it is coming from the floor itself.

I would certainly have preferred a solid floor and a walk upon roof but not if it meant I would have had to buy a bigger truck or a smaller camper, which it would have had to do. The Xlite construction allowed me to get a great camper and tow it effortlessly with my truck.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
marcortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I have the Xlite floor and it is indeed spongy. There are no soft spots as one would describe like a rotten or wet floor but if you weigh enough and pay attention you can feel the give in the floor.

I added stabilizers to my camper because it seemed to move a lot but they didn't remove all the bounce feeling because much of it is coming from the floor itself.

I would certainly have preferred a solid floor and a walk upon roof but not if it meant I would have had to buy a bigger truck or a smaller camper, which it would have had to do. The Xlite construction allowed me to get a great camper and tow it effortlessly with my truck.
Indeed sir.....not to mention the upfront costs, in the thousands, it takes to get a plywood based floor over a "laminated" floor.
marcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
Seaker

I have a 2017 passport 2520RL and the floor seems solid to me.
Seaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:58 AM   #11
talk2cpu

I have a 2011 250BH Passport and the floor has continued to expand the soft feel. Started out at the floor vent between the kitchen and the dinette. Was just a little on each side of the vent. Now it extends about 24" to the rear and 36" to the front. Feels mostly like the floor is delaminating. I'm afraid the only fix will be to cut out floor areas to install additional supports then install plywood and new floor covering. Hate to add the weight.
Any ideas?
Tom
Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
CamperDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
I have a 2011 250BH Passport and the floor has continued to expand the soft feel. Started out at the floor vent between the kitchen and the dinette. Was just a little on each side of the vent. Now it extends about 24" to the rear and 36" to the front. Feels mostly like the floor is delaminating. I'm afraid the only fix will be to cut out floor areas to install additional supports then install plywood and new floor covering. Hate to add the weight.
Any ideas?
Tom

My new 2017 Outback 293UBH that has not even made it out yet, seems to have a little give to it which I am ok with since it's a laminated/Styrofoam floor. Sounds like your issue could be a separation of the lamination near the aluminum framing or maybe a poorly welded joint in the bracing. I can't think of a fix for that other than carefully removing the affected material and using liquid nails to adhere back to its original position (with bricks or weights on top to secure until glue dries). Then you will have a seam to deal with... On the other hand, you never know what you will run into once the section is removed. Just throwing that out there...

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:47 AM   #13
TheRealMacGyver

My 2015 238ML has a delaminated (I think) spot in the floor that is directly over my gray tank. The vinyl flooring is lifted and if you get down and tap it all sounds hollow. The area is about 12" x 12" and it seems to be getting worse. No water in this area except the gray tank, but it is below, so doubt it is the cause. Might try to drill a small hole and inject some epoxy down in there, but I don't really know if that would even work. Last Passport I will ever own for sure (not first problem).
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
k94x4

We have a 2017 328RL. We have had a soft floor between the galley and dinette and and took it in to get checked out. Turns out the floor is rotten. Same symptoms as has been mentioned here. Keystone has said too bad for you. I will be contacting Keystone directly tomorrow. This is ridiculous.
North Idaho
k94x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
KenJFerguson

Just wrapping up our first ever RV trip in the 2014 Bullet 22RBPR we purchased privately for $14k this summer.

Without any prior RV knowledge and the inspector I found backed up at least a week I bought the unit without a professional inspection despite noticing a soft spot just inside the entrance door.

After 6 weeks of cleaning inside and out, buying all the accessories, planning stops, booking parks and provisioning we headed out Sept. 1 for a 2-month loop from Atlanta to the western mountain national parks and back through the southern states.

While the trip has been fantastic and everything has worked perfectly in the unit I am starting to regret both my lack of awareness of the luan sandwich floor construction technique and not waiting for that inspection.

During the trip, the spot at the entry door has continued to soften to the point the vinyl flooring is getting wavy and soft spots have shown up on both sides of the bed along the walls and in the middle of the salon. After reading threads on this forum I now understand the cause and the possible solutions.

With zero warranty coverage (despite the manufacturing flaw noted in this forum) and a remediation cost that likely exceeds the trailer's value, unless anyone has a better idea I see no option other than to live with the soft floor while enjoying as much RV travel as possible and hope I don't put my foot through the floor while doing so.

PS. Additionally, over the past 2 days of driving a bolt/screw head has been progressively working its way up under the vinyl flooring in the center of the kitchen/salon. I expect it will break through shortly. With the plastic "thermal package" sheeting under the frame how does one get a look at the flooring from the underside of the trailer???
KenJFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #16
KenJFerguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJFerguson View Post
PS. Additionally, over the past 2 days of driving a bolt/screw head has been progressively working its way up under the vinyl flooring in the center of the kitchen/salon. I expect it will break through shortly. With the plastic "thermal package" sheeting under the frame how does one get a look at the flooring from the underside of the trailer???
The head of that screw/bolt finally did break through the vinyl flooring in the center of the kitchen. Good news is that it is a screw not a bolt with a nut on the other end under the floor which means I don't need to drop the thermal underbelly. Just put a bit of adhesive on it, screwed it back in then a dab of glue to seal the vinyl flap it had created back down.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #17
Frisbeekev

I have a 2018 passport and we have what seems to be a soft spot in the floor. It seems to me to be the bracing underneath the trailer, being spread far apart.
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
I have a 2018 passport and we have what seems to be a soft spot in the floor. It seems to me to be the bracing underneath the trailer, being spread far apart.
That could very well be a source of a "weak floor". I've seen several trailers where children "jumped out of the bunks" onto the floor and broke the floor joists under the vinyl/luan flooring. On others, there is no joist from side to side, but rather a joist from the trailer sidewall to the centrally located heat duct, and then a space (where the heat duct runs) and the floor joist picks up on the other side and runs to the trailer sidewall. In other words, there's no support under the floor where the heat duct runs. Stepping on that area will usually "feel weak"....

So, it could be an issue that's "self inflicted" or it could be a "designed in limitation" or it could be "a problem that needs attention"....

More information about where your "soft spot" is located and how you've determined it's a "soft spot" would help define the issue better.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #19
Zena

Passport flooring

I just bought a Passport and although I haven’t noticed any soft spots in the floor, there is a ripple and a few bulges underneath the vinyl flooring. Might the adhesive failed in these areas, perhaps when the trailer was hot inside? Has anyone else had this issue?
Zena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

The vinyl flooring is not "glued to the subfloor under it. The only adhesive is around the perimeter to hold the flooring in place until the trailer is constructed. That is "by design" and not a "skipped step". The flooring, if it were glued to the subfloor, would expand/contract at a different rate than the underlaying structure. That would lead to cracks in the winter and buckling in the spring. Take a look at your floor and see if you can identify something near the bulge that could have been "pushed toward the bulge before it was installed permanently. You might find something like a floor heat vent that's just slightly larger than the hole cut in the vinyl. When the vent is pushed into the hole, it makes the vinyl floor bulge slightly where it's pushed away from the hole. That's just one example of a possible cause for the bulge.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, light