Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
I agree 110%. We purchased out TT exactly because we wanted our OWN bathroom, Kitchen and Bedroom. To NOT use it that way don't make sense.
I mean... I have a kitchen in my RV, too, but we still only make about 20% of our meals in it. We treated our first rig's bath the same way. We used the bathroom as a last resort. If we were boondocking, or got up in the middle of the night, fine; otherwise, we'd trek to the CG bathroom. The shower/tub was a joke -- although our dealer was nice enough to install a raised skylight so it was tall enough for me, the width was unchanged and the curtain would always come in to stick to you full length (the extend-a-curtain add-on products wouldn't work because the curtain ran against a wall for half its run), so I think I used the shower in it fewer than ten times in 20 years.

Also, some people try to maximize their tank duration, especially at non-sewer sites.

On this rig, I paid particular attention to the shower. I tested the height, and the rigid glass walls were a big selling point. Although it's still uncomfortably tight (can't bend over, had to buy a waterproof footstool), we use it almost exclusively now, especially given the current health panic.

I wonder how many other people don't use their rig's bathroom because they didn't realize how awkward it was to actually use until they actually tried to use it the first time?
Old 10-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #22
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Maybe some of the European caravans (travel trailers) are way ahead of the Turd Virgin curve. They mostly come without a toilet or Black tank and most must be special ordered to include the toilet and Black tank. The Aussies are having none of that and have units similar to our smaller tt's. Some US manufacturers have even set up shop down there. No pooping with the snakes for them!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #23
kjohn

So far (touch wood), I've managed to avoid any real serious disasters wrt dumping. I like the idea of a second knife valve near the outlet cap.

One of the reasons we bought a TT was to avoid having to use public facilities. I'm reasonably sure my wife would crown me if I suggested we use the CG or truck stop can. If we are at a full hookup CG, I try to use plenty of water in the toilet. After 8 years and around 35,000+ miles, we've never had a problem. Just need to use a bit of care and common sense. I carry a 25 gal. water tank and a 45 gal. "other" tank in the truck, along with a macerator for when full hook up isn't available. We have a cap on our truck, so none of that is easily seen.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #24
Greg58

I can't say which type of valve you have but some are bolted together, I just checked our Outback and I can't see the valve because of the undercarriage covering, on my small Jayco 165 you can unbolt the valves from the grey and black tanks for service.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #25
Greg58

A safety tip I learned the hard way, if your Outback has dump valves with extended handles this will help. We traveled to Carabelle Fl. from home for a week of camping, we were on a full hook-up site, on day two I went out to connect the drain pipe and found the black tank valve had bounced open slightly on the trip there. Boy was I embarrassed trying to figure out what to do, I managed to not make a mess but found a solution. If you look at the tee handle it has a eyelet for a hook, a small bungee cord hooked to the handle and to somewhere on the undercarriage will prevent it from opening.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #26
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68L79 View Post
"like the time I forgot to close the tank valve, and subsequently pulled the cap off and dumped the entire black tank on myself and the concrete around the dump station. "

I "tried" to do that yesterday. Luckily I have the garden hose connection for gray water release on the cap, so was able to let out a few gallons of liquid first so I didn't have a gusher.
Bwahahaha! That must have been a shocker. I always do a walk around before taking off for camping and YES I did find a closed cap/open valve. Could have done the same damned thing.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Bwahahaha! That must have been a shocker. I always do a walk around before taking off for camping and YES I did find a closed cap/open valve. Could have done the same damned thing.
Anyone that hasn't had this happen to them have been lucky, but if you rv long enough your turn will come. I think it has or will happen to everyone to some extent.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #28
cavie

purchase and replace new gate valves. 20 min job. 4 bolts.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
purchase and replace new gate valves. 20 min job. 4 bolts.
Yours must not have the have the covering on the underbelly? Removing/reinstalling that to get to the valves could take 1/2 a day.
I've changed several & will agree there's 4 bolts, but have never ever changed one out in 20 minutes, sometimes it takes 20 minutes or more to find where they've hidden the valve.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yours must not have the have the covering on the underbelly? Removing/reinstalling that to get to the valves could take 1/2 a day.
I've changed several & will agree there's 4 bolts, but have never ever changed one out in 20 minutes, sometimes it takes 20 minutes or more to find where they've hidden the valve.
And I can add that if the valve is "sandwiched" between a couple of tanks, it can take more than 20 minutes just to spread the valve enough to get it out. I have spent way longer trying to get the new seals seated right too.

20 minutes is a BEST case scenario.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank