Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Silver61

Tacoma RV Service Center

So today I call Tacoma RV service center (Washington State) to see about scheduling an appointment for their annual "Endless Warranty" and what all is done. The guy tells me about all they checks they do and they would recommend a wheel bearing repack as part of the annual check up. I asked him what about just using the Dexter EZ lube that comes on most new rigs now in days. He told me "NO, they are junk and are to be used only to add a little grease" and if I counted on for what they were designed to do, they would fail and void my warranty. I need to have them "repacked correctly" @ $489. I asked if I could do this myself and was told "NO", all work is to be preformed at an authorized service center as per the warranty agreement. I said I would get back with him. Researching and calling Dexter I was informed that is what they are designed to do and if they should fail, that is what their warranty is for. So I guess what I'm saying here is Tacoma RV service center "could be" trying to rip me off. I have emailed Keystone about this and asking for their advice.
Silver61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Stumpy75

The ezLube axles are notorious for having seals fail and packing the brakes with grease. Good luck with the warranty when you are stuck with no brakes on the trailer. How long can or would you want to wait for the brakes to be replaced? Don't ask how I know...

You CAN do it yourself if you are handy, but I don't know about the warranty...

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The "forever warranty" is a rip off in its origin and execution. It's simply a means for the dealership to "give you a little" and "get you to pay a lot"... The items warrantied in the "forever warranty" seldom fail and the things they "check annually and maintain" aren't even things covered by the "forever warranty" in many circumstances.

The "forever warranty" is a "sprout" of the "forever warranty for automobiles" and is marketed to dealerships by the same "underwriter service" as the automobile service. I believe I heard of a similar service for the marine industry. All of them are "marketing programs to improve dealership profits in the service department" and not much else.

You're better off doing the work yourself or having it done by a competent RV serviceman (probably for less money than the dealership) and just letting the "forever warranty" expire or be discontinued for "non-participation"....

As for the EZ-Lube system, even if it's warrantied by Dexter, if you're stuck on the side of the interstate in Colorado and can't get back down the mountain without brakes, shipping your parts to Dexter for inspection, waiting for them to accept/deny the warranty claim and if approved, ship the parts to you in Colorado, well, at $75/day in an RV park waiting the 10+ days for an answer is $750 in park fees. You can typically have the brakes rebuilt with new shoes and a bearing repack for $500.... Making the comparison, is the "Dexter warranty" any better than the "forever warranty" ????? YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

John has given you the scoop on the "forever" warranty. The response, and price, you got is a stark reminder of HOW they make their money on those "freebies".

The other point is doing wheel/bearing maintenance. I used to do mine all the time until it got to where getting down "with the wheels" was problematic. I now have mine done by my local tire/wheel shop. $120 for 4 wheels, with a service truck coming to my storage bay and doing it. Last year it was under $200 and they replaced all the bearings with Timkens. $489 is just a flat out ripoff IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
ChuckS

T9 me removing hubs, inspecting brakes and bearings routine maintenance. I would do it myself and the heck with that “endless warrantY”. I suppose greasing the zerks on the suspension would give this Service center an issue as well...

No way I’d shell out $450 for a $20 job... 4 inner wheel bearing grease seals are all the parts required along with a tub of grease.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
travelin texans

That bearing service price along with your "endless warranty" sound like a very good deal......................for Tacoma Rv!!
I would ask for a refund on the warranty (doubt you'd get any) & find a good trailer service company to hand pack your bearings at a reasonable price or learn to do yourself if physically able.
NEVER use the EZ lube zerks, by doing so is a sure fire way to grease up the brake shoes which is not part of periodic RV maintenance.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote