Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
sonuvabum

Air Bags Question

I am thinking about adding Air Bags to my F250. I've done some research and read some of the other posts here, but I want to be sure I understand the benefts. I'm pulling a Raptor Toy Box and while I am within spec, I'm pushing the limits. I know a 1 Ton would suit me better but we're casual RV'ers (not full time) and I can't swing a new truck anytime soon.

My questions are fairly simple.

Will the Air Springs improve my ride when loaded?
Right now, I occasionally experience some bucking at highway speeds that is really annoying.

I don't think I've actually botttomed out the suspension, but I figure it's just a matter of time. Will Air Springs help mitigate the effects of that?

Lastly, for those of you who have installed them (or had them installed), how do you like them? How much should I expect to pay, and did you find the benefits worth the cost?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Gary
sonuvabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
rnkburg

I have firestone ride rites and tow a Raptor 300 mp. It's on a 94 dodge diesel and it does very well. I brought my trailer home with the reese 16k hitch and sense we have two tow vehicles I got the b and w patriot to go in so we could put the reese back in the duramax. I only mention this because I towed nice and smooth with the reese but when I put the patriot in it bounced around 55 mph. I have sense then repositioned the hitch but haven't tried it yet. I have been towing with the bigger truck.

Airbags are great, little under 300 new is what I paid, and install is easy. If you add the compressor its a little more money and work but they are nice.

Also I have not had anything in the garage yet to see how that does. I have heard it makes a big difference, as the pin weight is much heavier when garage is empty.

Just more food for thought bit thought I would share

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Jim W

My answers are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuvabum View Post
I am thinking about adding Air Bags to my F250. I've done some research and read some of the other posts here, but I want to be sure I understand the benefts. I'm pulling a Raptor Toy Box and while I am within spec, I'm pushing the limits. I know a 1 Ton would suit me better but we're casual RV'ers (not full time) and I can't swing a new truck anytime soon.

My questions are fairly simple.

Will the Air Springs improve my ride when loaded? Yes the air springs will help with the ride when loaded. They may also make it a little harsher when you are un-loaded. You need to maintain at least 5 to 10 psi in the bags to prevent damaging the bags.
Right now, I occasionally experience some bucking at highway speeds that is really annoying.

I don't think I've actually botttomed out the suspension, but I figure it's just a matter of time. Will Air Springs help mitigate the effects of that? Yes they should but you need to realize that the springs will not allow an increase of weight carrying ability.

Lastly, for those of you who have installed them (or had them installed), how do you like them? This is my second set of bags, I have had them on both of my tow vehicles which I installed them myself. I feel they do ride a little harsher un-loaded but not too much, the DW does not complain too much about them. How much should I expect to pay, and did you find the benefits worth the cost? When I installed them I also installed the on-board air compressor, in my opinion this is the only way to go. My cost was around $550 for bags and onboard compressor.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Gary
I also have a Ram with the totally integral power management system on the truck known as the TIPM. This can easily fail and the cost to replace is around $700. So I installed a 3 Circuit Auxiliary Fuse Block from Geno's Garage, this allow me to wire the onboard compressor to the auxiliary fuse block and not the TIPM. This cost was additional $65.00 also.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

Tpim

Jim,

Just what is this TPIM ? Is it the big fuse and relay panel on the drivers side under the hood? Any idea what makes it fail.

Thanks,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
W.E.BGood

I would reiterate exactly what JimW's experiences are with regard to ride quality and advice, other than I got the AirLift 5000's with on-board compressor and remote.
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
webslave

Another option you might want to explore is the Timbren SES as opposed to the air bags. In my "younger days" I always added air bags for load support and control, but, got tired of having to air them up when I loaded the truck, adding air at lower altitudes and letting air out at higher altitudes, and letting air out when unloaded. Unloaded, they did affect the ride, to me, adversely. I got "turned on" to Timbrens about 10 years ago and have used them ever since.

Timbrens are like a variable compression add-on overload spring; nothing to add or remove whether loaded or unloaded or at sea-level or 9,000 feet. With the truck unloaded, they don't affect the ride at all (they don't even contact the axle). As you load the truck, the more weight you add the more effect they have as they contact the axle and then start to compress. Nothing to wear out, maintain or adjust. Takes all of about 8 minutes per side to install and about half the cost of an air system (or more depending on the "options" for air systems; air pumps, wiring, auto or manual airing, etc.)

Just another option...they've served me well over the years and the first new "mod" I make to any new truck is the Timbrens.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Jim,

Just what is this TPIM ? Is it the big fuse and relay panel on the drivers side under the hood? Any idea what makes it fail.

Thanks,
John
John, Yes this is the TIPM that I mentioned. This unit will fail for numerous reasons and has built in logic to protect its self also but they do fail. The unit is very sensitive to voltage irregularities from added accessories and incorrect grounding of components. That is why I added the 3 Circuit Auxiliary Fuse Block to the electrical circuit, I have added all my extra wiring needs to this adapter.
To find out more on this I would do a search on this web site, which I am a member also. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
azlee56

We bought the firestone rite-ride and we love them. The main thing is we needed more clearance for our landing gear, as it sits real low. It lifted it up where I wasn't holding my breath. The pull is really great with them filled up, really rough unhitched though and you do let the air out. The BF went to install them and said never mind and took it to a place, they had the air lines go to the license plate and mounted them in the license plate where they were easily assessable to inflate/deflate.

I did call firestone though and they gave me the ones to order, as they were new and not on their online chart. I bought them from http://www.truckaddons.com/ for 398.00, free shipping. They didn't know about this new "model" and had to call Firestone to get them.

We are extremely pleased with them. I loaded a truck bed of bricks and that truck didn't even hiccup and lowered about 1/2".
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
sonuvabum

Decided to go with the Timbrens. Just got them put on the other day. I haven't loaded the truck yet, but no discernable difference in ride, unloaded. We'll see I guess.
Thanks for the input.
Gary
sonuvabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
rrohrer

i have the timbrens and they work well for me.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Jet Fixer

I have a 2008 F250 and put firestone airbags on myself. Very easy install, I don't have an on board compressor rather I have a single air nozzle plumbed just left of my rear license plate. I installed a brass t fitting for the single nozzle instead of one nozzle for each airbag as the kit has. I tow with 60psi. My pin weight is 2420 as loaded. Paid $250 from eBay. Never towed without them so I have no comparison for you. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
ls1mike

Will the Timbrens or any air bag help with porposing?

Thanks.

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
billstuart

I have Timbrens. My experience has been that they work as advertised and I have no porpoising issues. I like the fact that they require no maintenance, no inflating or deflating - just install them and forget about it.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
ls1mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by billstuart View Post
I have Timbrens. My experience has been that they work as advertised and I have no porpoising issues. I like the fact that they require no maintenance, no inflating or deflating - just install them and forget about it.
Thanks neighbor.

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Azdryheat

I have the Firestones on my Chevy and I noticed a huge difference with stability with my rig. I keep them at 60 psi. There is still some bucking going over bridges but it is much less than before (my shocks may be bad). I have towed with and without them and wouldn't tow without them.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
tomsws6

I have them too. Easy to install and they make a world of difference. The truck does remind me that I have them when I go over speed bumps buts thats it. There cheap, inexpensive and work as advertised.
tomsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote