Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
chris199

Tire Pressure Monitor....High Priority? Commonly Used?

We are new TT owners. Have been on the forum a little under a year and hearing more and more on TPMS. Is this a common "must have"?

I pay attn to tire pressure when starting out. Have to admit I drive about 1 to 2 miles to fill tires. Seems they are already hot by then so am likely going to buy a rehargable pump...can't get a vehicle next to the TT to use cigarette light powered pump.

How critical is it though to have a TPMS? They are about $250 to $300 or so......

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
smiller

If you should have a undetected tire failure then the one tire remaining on that side will be grossly overloaded and likely fail soon after (probably suddenly due to a heat-induced blowout), leaving you with two blown tires on one side. So tell me... how important is a TPMS?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Chris -
I'm sure you will hear from members who would say "yes", they are essential - especially as a means to reduce the potential of tire blowout. They are a useful item which will reduce, but not eliminate that possibility and therefore enhance one's safety on the road.
I don't use that system but do take steps to ensure that the pressure in the tires is checked before heading out on a trip and along the way. For me, a TPM system is not a "must have" item but for others, it is.

As for a cigarette or 12v portable tire pumps, almost all of them are not useful for inflating truck or RV tires. For air mattresses, and other similar small items they are ok but it would take forever for you to inflate a truck or TT tire unless you are prepared to spend big $$$ for a high-quality 12v pump. There are a few available but they are very pricey. The type that are readily available at most retail outlets just won't do the job and I think you would be disappointed in the results.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
rhagfo

It is near the top of top of my list.
I don't want to loose a tire on 33' of trailer!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
MIKEPATC

TPMS amazing to watch

A TPMS system is amazing to watch. It is incrediable how much tire pressure and temperature vary with speed and especially the outside temperature. Mandatory ... no. Peace of mind ... Yes. I like my TST system. Have it on my truck and TT. The crummy TT tires are doing better and more stable than the truck tires.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Problem is on a dual or triple axle you can't tell a tire is soft, or even blown out, until someone flags you down. By that time you likely have some significant damage to the trailer. TPMS like Pressure Pro solves that by telling you when tire gets soft.

If it tells you once, it paid for itself.

If single axle, it is nice but not really necessary.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
grayghost03

I say yep, I like my TPMS for peace of mind, I don't have to check pressures every morning I am going to tow(still do a walk around and look for anything unusual), and every time you check your tires you loose a little air, if you don't have to check with a guage you don't loose air pressure as much (tire will loose some pressure, over time anyway) I set up at an exact pressure all the way around, with a accurate (read calibrated) guage. Then note what the system says and go from there.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
MNawman

Chris, I have a TPMS and I love it. I think the advantage is that the driver would be alerted as the tire is going flat so you can pull over before the tire comes apart and damages your RV. As far as filling or topping off the RV tires, I have a 11 gal air tank that I fill to 120 psi and can carry that to my tires.it may not be the best system, but it works. I carry the tank in the bed of my truck.
MNawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Johnnyfry

Tires

I love my TPM system and would not be without it. I have heard way too many stories of people being flagged down by a passing car when they are totally unaware of the disaster going on 35 feet behind them!

I tried the 12V compressors and they are worthless. I bought a relatively cheap 120v unit from Harbor Freight and it does the job. I have a Honda genny I can fire up on the road if necessary, or one can get an inverter from a big truck stop for under $100 that will do the job from the TV battery. I looked at high end 12v units and found them to be over $300. Some exhaust brakes ( PAC brake is one, I believe) use compressed air from an engine driven compressor with a reservoir tank. They can be fitted with a hose and chuck to fill tires.

You need to have a method to top off the tires, VERY few stations or truck stops have an air hose available these days and those coin driven compressors are a bad joke.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
I love my TPM system and would not be without it. I have heard way too many stories of people being flagged down by a passing car when they are totally unaware of the disaster going on 35 feet behind them!
That would be me, twice. I lucked out both times as I was flagged down before the other tire failed due to overloading, but if either instance had been in a more rural area or at night...

I'm slow but I finally got the message. To me it is unimaginable that anyone would choose to go without a TPMS (especially as they are now very affordable), but what can I say...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

I am putting them in mine. i was one of the ones being flagged down. i felt the tire come apart but it was toooo late by then. 2500 bucks in damage. tps is cheapinsurance. I agree with you about 12 volt compressors. and the ones at most gas staionsare as bad as the cheap electric ones. if you want to travel to fairfield ,ct i have the good type of air hose at my shop ha ha!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
chris199

Went with the TST model. Installed last night or this morning to be more precise.....at about 1 AM. Monitor was acccurate...confirmed with guauge. Found something interresting. My truck tires were overinflated...cool. just had it into the dealer last week for oil chg, etc. Could it be the dealer overinflated my tires for a reason?

Anyway...have more piece of mind with the TPMS in place!! Off to the Smokies in less than 4 hrs!!!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote