Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
rnkburg

B&W patriot setup

So I have the patriot in my truck. Trailer toes completely different than it did with the reese. I am wondering if I have the hitch too high or to far back. It appears to be over the axel maybe a touch in front if you look at the king pin. With the reese no bounce no nothing, this one bounces especially at 55 mph. I am gonna drop some air in the bags on the way home to see if that helps.

Anyone else have experience with these and there set up

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
rhagfo

Need more info.
Reason for changing hitches?
What are you pulling and weights?
What is your TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
rnkburg

Dry weight 11900
Hitch pin 2600
Truck 94 dodge RAM 2500 diesel
4.11 gears
4x4
Auto with special built trans
Many many engine mods
Firestone ride rites
Long bed std cab

Reason for changing hitch is this Raptor is now the 2nd fifth wheel in the family so needed another hitch for the dodge. Up till now we just shared the hitch and each truck had its own rails. Everyone was raving about b&w and the tweetys price was great so went that route instead of another 16k reese sense it fits in the std rails

I am set one setting higher from the bottom on hitch and one setting back on the side bars. I am getting a hop at 50-60 mph and a little more walk. Had no walk with the reese and no hop. Measurements show this to be close to the reese.

Wondering of I should go back to the lowest height and closest to can setting

Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
rnkburg

Another thing to note is that we also have a 04 ext cab 4x4 dually duramax that we will be towing with also. But when both units go out the dodge is pulling the Raptor.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
rnkburg

Lowered air in the bags on the way home, didn't really help. I am wondering if I need to drop the hitch height down to the bottom, and move it forward to the front. I don't know if this is where it's supposed to be set for long beds or not. The instructions never said.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
rnkburg

anyone else have a b&W hitch with a longbed truck. Where do you have your hitch set at? It's finally cooled off enough to actually go change this, thinking of going all the way down, and all the way forward.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
jsmith948

I would consult your installation manual (available online if you don't have one) and get the correct measurements from the mfr.
When I installed our Reese slider, the manual showed where the measurement should be taken and what it should be and also advised diagonal measurements to ensure that the hitch is square to the truck.Trusting my memory, I think the measurement was 2 5/16" forward of the axle centerline

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
rnkburg

My kingpin hookup is directly over top my gooseneck ball right now. So going to the forward most position on the hitch setup would put me about 2" in front of that, maybe a little less. And would drop it down another 2" (max).