Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: what oil do you use
15-40 35 51.47%
synthetic 29 42.65%
other 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
CarKath

What oil do you use?

What oil are most people using?

In my Duramax I am currently running synthetic.

I have only done one oil change on this truck.

It was noticeable from an engine noise stand point. Way loader now.

What comes from factory?

I am booked in next Friday(7th) for a service. Requested 15-40 oil for service and got bitched out how wrong I am.

So, I'd like to know what others are doing.

Geography will play a roll here. I am in Manitoba and our winters are cold to brutal cold.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Oil

I know that I wil catch heat on my answer but the engineers at the manufacturers really have put a lot of study into this. Going with the recommended viscosity rating on this is probably best.

On the other hand they probably don't recommend synthetic as a general rule because of cost.

So, what to do? I have had a lot of positive experience with synthetic, so I would recommend sticking to the OEM recommendations on grade/viscosity rating but use synthetic.

As for change interval, that is a complex question. Large diesel industrial engines typically send oil out for analysis and change on that basis. On the other hand, they use active oil clarifier units and add additives. Not being faced with 600 gallon oil changes it is probably best to go with synthetic oil and use the makers max change interval. If you are an engine geek you can go with one of the oil analysis services at $20/a pop.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
KanTC

The owners manual supplement gives oil-change info related to temps/location. (pages 10-7, 10-8, 10-9)
Given your location, maybe the dealership thinks you should go with 5-40 instead??
We're in southern New Mexico... no help with weather 'comparison'

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...1silverado.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I've been using 15w 40 Rottella since '94 and never had a problem no matter how cold it got. The old mechanical diesel (Cummins 12valve) did not have to crank, it just fired up. The computer controlled engines (24 valve common-rail) have to crank a little before they will start. So I went to Rottella full synthetic and find it cranks faster in the cold. These are just my personal observations and you should always use what the OEM recommends. With the price of oil climbing the price difference between synthetic and regular oil is not that much if you shop around and do it yourself. JM2˘, Hank ....... Old habits die hard so I let it break-in for 25-30 k before switching to synthetic.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
RCrawler

I've never been a fan of synthetic engine oils and extended drain intervals.
Standard dino oil is cheap enough to change every 3-5K miles. Synthetic oils do not reduce the amount of contaminants being introduced into the oil. They don't increase the amount of debris that can be trapped in the filter.
I've worked for different companies that did oil samples on their fleet trucks.
The industry standard for heavy trucks seems to be 10K miles. Those that kept their equipment around fell into the 14-16K range. One company goes out 36K miles, but they tend to sell off their trucks at 750K. So it tells me that they aren't really concerned over the long run.

I've had engines apart for overhaul with similar mileages. I don't see much of a difference between them as far as wear is concerned.

I've owned several diesels over the last 20 years. My current trucks are a old IDI Ford and the Cummins. I run Delo 400 in my Ford and Rotella (non syn) in the Dodge. Use 15W-40 year round. It doesn't get as cold as you see up north, but we have our share of -20 F days. Never had a problem.

They do recommend a lighter grade of oil for severe cold service climates.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Jim W

I follow the manufactures recommendation on oil viscosity and the material standard sheet requirements. Such as Cummins CES 20081, oil standard. Most oil manufactures state on the oil bottle, what standards they meet. Such as Cummins, GMC, Ford and or Chrysler oil standards. You must also use oil that complies with SAE 15W-40, API CJ-4 and or SAE 5W-40, API CJ-4 in newer diesel engines. These oils meet the new emission rules for lower emissions from diesel equipped vehicles.
I also take oil samples every 5K miles on my truck. I am looking for fuel dilution in the oil. With the new emission compliance engines and the emission requirements, you can have unburnt fuel entering the engine oil. Cummins standard is a maximum allowable amount of fuel in the oil is less than 6% in 7500 miles.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
campingcpl

I have used synthetic oils for a long time now and have loved them. I have been using 5w-40 Rottella synthetic in my diesel and live in northern Indiana and I never had a problem starting the truck. I change oil in the diesel at 7000 miles just because of the cost. My gas engines I still change the oil every 3000 miles.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
SpiderCO

I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40. So far so good
SpiderCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderCO View Post
I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40. So far so good
If memory serves me correctly, that is the factory fill from Cummins. (but I have been wrong before so feel free to correct)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
CarKath

Thanks everybody for your input. It has been very helpful. It looks like I will stay with synthetic oil. Mainly because of operating temp. It is a bitter pill to swallow an oil change @ $150.00 bucks. But I gues that is what I have to do.

But let the oil debate roll on..........

Carl
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
smiller

In general unless your oil is getting above 275-300 degrees there won't really be any additional protection with a synthetic and it's a rare engine that will get its oil temp even close to that, especially with the auxiliary oil coolers present on most diesels. The other temperature advantage for synthetic is at sub-zero levels and if that's what you mean then yeah, maybe in Manitoba that's worthwhile protection.

Synthetic has its applications but most of those don't really benefit typical diesel service. In terms of increased oil change interval I know that Cummins at least expressly states that an operator should not increase change intervals based on synthetic oil usage.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
CarKath

What I meant by operating temp is ambient outdoor temp. We get some reeeeeeeal cold weather here. -30C is not unusual and it has and can get to -40 . Normally it is -20 or so during our winter months. I am not sure if it possible to install an oil pan heater on my truck. That should and would negate the cold weather elemet. For now, I'll hold the course and use synthetic oil. If I ever get my garage addition built, then no problem, it will be heated and all will be good.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
antiqfreq

I'm with Hankpage,

Shell Rotella since we got the diesel.

Started with about 86,000 miles
and just turned 145,000 miles.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
CarKath

I added a poll to this thread. I am currently using synthetic and plan to down the road. My vote is in.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #15
richf28

I use Fords Synthetic blend in the recommended viscosity in my Ecoboost. It was recommended by the dealer. Has similar properties of synthetic without the cost.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Retired CSIGuy

Thumbs up Retired CSI Guy

I use, and have used Shell Rotella T 15w40 in everything that I own that has an engine, 07 Dura, wife's 04 Toyota RAV, Yamaha RSV motorcycle, Yamaha quad, generator. Been using it for years. It is a great oil...lubrication and shear factor high and the additive packages scrub the carbon very well. It is a CJ, CJ4 diesel oil that works great in any diesel or gas engine. Dino vs Syn? You don't need to go to the extra expense if the syn unless you live where it gets below
15f in winter, but there is a syn version, Rotella T 5w40. Only big advantage to syn is it's flow rate under extreme cold condtiions, and it's shear factor a bit, but it's twice the price. I lived in the Sierras at 6k ft for 22 years. In winter I would blend the two, half and half just to get a better flow on those 10f nights, but Shell says the 15w40 dino is good down to -5f. You can find a ton of oil info and opinions on motorcycle forums....more so than anywhere else. One additional note...if your one of these folks that think you absolutely have to buy syn, then let it run longer and just change out your filteri, i.e. you can easily run syn 7-8k and just changing out the filter....some even run 10-15k but again....I'm not sure I'd run that long, even with filter changes. Truckers run syn for very long periods of time, but their filtering systems are better, and it's cost inhibitive to change out oil for them. One other thing.....oil doesn't "break down" as is common thought. It gets dirty with carbon and metal, it's shear factor starts to lessen, and the additive packages in the oil start to lose their ability to do what they were designed to do as time and heat take their toll on the oil. Wally World (Walmart) sells it at a pretty good price.
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
Charli

I also live in Manitoba and have been using 15w40 regular oil. Seems to start ok at -35 even when parked outside as long as block heater is plugged in. I purchased the truck (see sig) in Feb/11 with 44,000km and have been taking to dealer for service as I'm no mechanic however may start doing oil changes myself now that its off bumper to bumper wty. Dealer wants to change oil every 6000km even though manual states 12000km with no provision for more frequent oil changes for extreme useage/weather. Given that I will put on about 20,000km annually with half of that to haul groceries and the other half to pull 5er in July/Aug I figure changing oil 2x per year should be adequate. Dealers tend to want to do service well in advance of what manual states so I will have to keep a watch on them. Don't see a reason to service more frequently given how I use truck. Truck has a service indicator on it which is supposed to pop up when oil change is req which could also be used as a guide if in doubt. Given oil change costs $110 already don't think I will switch to syn which would be more expensive.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
Exsailor

Sorry but I have to chime in, -35 degrees?? Whoa that's disgusting. I guess I'll stay down south. good luck to y'all, 15w40 will do us fine

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

Wow oil that will start all kinds of rumors and opinons.one your engine manufacturer knows your engine best what they says goes. In all my diesels get rottella t 15w/40 chenge it every 5k . Never had an issue. Everything ealse runs on synthetic oil somewhere in here someone said syn oil will not suspend more contaminates or deposit more junk in the filter yep he is right. Syntheic will take more heat abuse gas turbos and air cooled garden equipment. The one place syntetic did not work out was mobil av1. Aviation synthetic. Omg they had to buy some expenssive high horsepower lycomings and continental engines. Av gas contains lead and it mixed witn the oil and turned into a nice slurry the wiped the engine out. But thats airplanes not cars using unleaded fuel. All in all i think you will find most use rotella or dllo both are excellent oils in the diesel. I have heardsome stories about how you can't mix oils or syncauses leaks or your engine will fall out if..... Any oil is better than no oil you can always change it when you get home.
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
Charli

So splain to me Lucy - if the manufacturer knows your engine best and, as many of the previous posts suggest, they always follow the mfg recommendations in the service manual why are people changing oil after 3-5,000 miles (5-8,000km) when the manual says 7500 miles (12,000km). My dealer wants me to change my oil every 6000km. I think its a money grab by the dealer.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote