Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
nano

Satellite internet

Does anyone here have portable satellite internet? If so, who is the provider? What does it cost?

I am looking into it for next summer and can't find anyone who will provide a portable satellite setup, but I see other places online where people talk about having hughesnet or wildblue internet while camping. Do I just need to talk to the right people at these places?

Ideally I'd like to have the satellite internet portable between our home, cottage and campgrounds.
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
jq1031

Smile

It would probably be more cost effective to purchase a internet card from your cell phone provider. Works for me!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
nano

I would, but the 2 places we normally camp at do not have cell service.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
I would, but the 2 places we normally camp at do not have cell service.
OK, got it!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We have Hughesnet at home. I'd shudder to think about trying to aim the dish in the field. On satellite TV, you recieve a signal that is transmitted in a cone towards Earth. It's OK to be "slightly off" and you can still recieve a signal. With internet, you have a "two way" signal. You not only recieve, you also must transmit to the satellite. That requires a much more precise aim at the satellite. That's probably why nobody will talk to you about a portable system. I've asked about taking ours on the road, the customer reps at Hughes deny that they ever do that type of service. So, if you hear of anyone selling it, you might want to beware of their promises.

As for internet air cards, we regularly travel in remote areas. In fact, one spot in the Michigan UP is 40 miles from the nearest town of any size and 10 miles down a two track dirt road. We couldn't get cell service there last year with any phone. In our party, we had Verizon, ATT, CellOne, Boost and Nextel. Nobody could get a signal. This spring, we asked Verizon about their new MiFi hotspot. The sales rep told me it would work there.. Being very skeptical, I asked to borrow a demo before buying service. We took it up there, had 5 bars <AMAZING> but still no cell service.

You might want to check into the cellular service provider internet systems, apparently not having cell service is no guarantee that the internet won't work.

As for us, it's reassuring to know that even if we can't call out in an emergency, we can email to get assistance. Nice to know, the older we get LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
DocData757

Hughes net Is no longer portable unless you have an older system. The new stuff musts be installed by a tech every time you. move. I had hughesnet for a year and hated it. I finally got a MiFi air card from Verizon and it has been great!

Dave
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Jay D

can you take the dish off the side of the house, call camping world or who ever sells the plans an use that dish?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
nano

Maybe I'll check with the local AT&T and Verizon places to see if they have something I can try before I commit to buying.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
Maybe I'll check with the local AT&T and Verizon places to see if they have something I can try before I commit to buying.
Nano,

I don't know about ATT. We live near Gaylord, had ATT in Louisiana before moving back home. ATT does NOT work around here. Nor does it have very much coverage in the UP. Verizon has great coverage here and in most of the UP.

As I said earlier, between Republic and Iron Mountain, about 15 miles west of US 95 and 10-12 miles Northeast of Crystal Falls, in the middle of absolutely NOWHERE, we get 5 bars with Verison. We camp with a number of relatives who have different service providers and nobody, not even us can get a cell phone signal. But we still get 5 bars on the MiFi hot spot. I can't explain it, but it works. Check them out,, and if they try to "upsell" you to a 4G device, remember anywhere north of US55 (Cadillac) there is only 3G service and no plans to upgrade to 4G for at least 5 years. So, to pay a premium for something you can't use seems foolish to me.

Where do you camp that has no service? I might be able to get you information that may help.

I do not work for Verizon, nor do I work <YIPPEEE> Retired and have no interest in any company that provides internet or cell service.

Keep me posted.

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
nano

It looks like Verizon is putting another tower up in our area, so next spring I might see if I can give one of their internet cards a try. Although, right now, AT&T has better coverage in town, anyway. I imagine that's why Verizon is putting up a tower.