Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
willy3805

Smile She said yes

To me getting a new truck. I got to test drive a 2017 f250 deisel nice. It is completely different than my 2009 mainly the steering is alot tighter not so much wondering. So I ordered one up by the time I get it camping season will be over with here in North Dakota. So I'll have to find other things to tow around to give it a try.
2013 Lund 2075 prov 300 mercury verado
Gone fishing
Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
KYFamily

My favorite words.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Tbos

She said yes

Have fun and post pictures when you get it.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3805 View Post
To me getting a new truck. I got to test drive a 2017 f250 deisel nice. It is completely different than my 2009 mainly the steering is alot tighter not so much wondering. So I ordered one up by the time I get it camping season will be over with here in North Dakota. So I'll have to find other things to tow around to give it a try.
Without having seen all the specs (weight, payload, GVW) on the 2017 SuperDuty, but having a 2015 model F250, I'd ask if the new model F250 has the payload capacity to tow your trailer? I know the current model F250, with Lariat trim, has just under 2000 pounds of payload. Your fifth wheel is "better suited" for a F350. If the 2017 is "comparably equipped", you might be better served looking at a F350 SRW for your fifth wheel.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
willy3805

I test drove a 250 but ordered a 350. Weight don't matter to me pickup,camper and boat all hooked together I'm over anyway. Drive slow take your time u get there. Rules and weights are meant to be broken . Should come to the farm and see how we over load things lol
Gone fishing
Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I test drove a 250 but ordered a 350. Weight don't matter to me pickup,camper and boat all hooked together I'm over anyway. Drive slow take your time u get there. Rules and weights are meant to be broken . Should come to the farm and see how we over load things lol
I certainly hope, that if you're ever involved in an accident with your rig that a lawyer doesn't stumble upon your post this this forum. It just might be the undoing of any reasonable defense to support you and any case your lawyer could present to a jury..... Just sayin'............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
tEE

Quote:
Where's the "LIKE" button on this forum? We need a like button!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
BlueThunder34

Yea I've worked on a farm and ran trucks, loaders, etc well over the intended ratings. Big difference though.....not doing 60mph on public highways, with my family in the rig or other innocent people around me. SMH

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
tEE

Do any of you guys understand the difference between "rating" and "maximum"
GVWR= Gross Vehicle Weight Ratng. RATING! That is what the MFG will honor the warranty for! And what fits in some communist states tax laws. I can't count how many 250/2500 and 350/3500 trucks I have seen commercially registered for 26000+ GCVW Gross Combined Vehicle Weight around here! Registered by the state for commercial use. DOT registered for way over what FCA, Fomoco, GM rated them for. And the arbitrary 10k rating of a 250/2500 is because of tax laws by various communist states. Not because of what the truck can do or is capable of.

To the OP. Congrats on getting a new truck. I experienced the same euphoria last Feb when my most excellent spouse TOLD me I deserved a new truck

I look foreword to your reports on the new F350's. They look to be AWSOME rigs!
Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
willy3805

Toyota can pull the space shuttle but I can't pull a camper and boat together unbelievable. John when I'm in court will you be my lawyer because you know everything, u should be able to get me off. All u people afraid of a pickup pulling a camper and boat together better stay out of North Dakota because their is alot of them. I don't think this website was meant for John to tell people what they can and can't pull. John on my posts just keep your comments to yourself.
Gone fishing
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
BlueThunder34

Congrats on your new truck by the way, let us know how you like it! That new boxed frame and driveline look to be very stout.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
tEE

Quote:
Toyota can pull the space shuttle but I can't pull a camper and boat together unbelievable. John when I'm in court will you be my lawyer because you know everything, u should be able to get me off. All u people afraid of a pickup pulling a camper and boat together better stay out of North Dakota because their is alot of them. I don't think this website was meant for John to tell people what they can and can't pull. John on my posts just keep your comments to yourself.
I'm still looking for the "Like" button on this forum. It would come in so useful right about now!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

Quote:

Hope to see you in ND when I get there in a couple centuries. No need to go south to visit, you and WeeWee ~~ we will come to you guys.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
willy3805

Here is my "overweight" setup it will look good with the new 17 hooked up to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-25 22.57.57.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	11119  
Gone fishing
Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 AM   #15
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Here is my "overweight" setup it will look good with the new 17 hooked up to it
Wowwee! Right or wrong, that is quite the good looking setup. Keep the propeller and rubber side down!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 AM   #16
jsmith948

Well.......I wasn't gong to bother, but....Our 2011 F250 diesel has a GVWR of 10,000#. The front GAWR is 5200# and the rear GAWR is 6100# for a total of 11300#. There have been a few threads on here in which there were comparisons of specific part numbers for drive-line and suspension components between the F250 and F350. It seems that, with the exception of the added "helper spring" there is no difference between the two. Does this mean that I can use the 11300# number? Physically?...probably. Safely?...maybe. Legally?...NO WAY! Many years ago, when I was young and less experienced, I never gave a thought to what our RV (a 1/2 ton chevy with a cab-over camper pulling a Corvair powered dune buggy and all the attendant gear/supplies) weighed. We would simply load up and head for Pismo (about 150 miles) or Glamis (about 375 miles) never giving a thought to the possibility of being overloaded to the point of being unsafe. Returning from Glamis on Thanksgiving weekend one year, we were traveling through the town of Indio. This was during the gas shortage years and there were lines at all the gas stations that had gas. A young woman with her kids on board her station wagon stopped abruptly in front me in order to get into the line of cars backed up into the street. I was barely able to stop before rear ending her. I mean - the brakes felt like they weren't there. Traded that truck the next day for an F250 with the camper special package. Since then I have spent 2.5 million miles behind the wheel of a semi. During that time, I witnessed way too many accidents involving RVs. I don't know if age and experience has made me any smarter...but, these days, I tend to think about "what if". I have worked my entire life to get where I am. Decent retirement with a home that will be ours in 7 more months. I am unwilling to risk it all just so I can thumb my nose at the law.
To the OP: I wish you all the best. Good luck to you. Safe travels...but...think about what you are saying/doing.
Sorry about the long post....JMHO - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 08-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #17
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEE View Post
Do any of you guys understand the difference between "rating" and "maximum"
GVWR= Gross Vehicle Weight Ratng. RATING! That is what the MFG will honor the warranty for! And what fits in some communist states tax laws. I can't count how many 250/2500 and 350/3500 trucks I have seen commercially registered for 26000+ GCVW Gross Combined Vehicle Weight around here! Registered by the state for commercial use. DOT registered for way over what FCA, Fomoco, GM rated them for. And the arbitrary 10k rating of a 250/2500 is because of tax laws by various communist states. Not because of what the truck can do or is capable of.

To the OP. Congrats on getting a new truck. I experienced the same euphoria last Feb when my most excellent spouse TOLD me I deserved a new truck

I look foreword to your reports on the new F350's. They look to be AWSOME rigs!
Wow, you obviously have all of the information and a very good understanding of laws and manufacturer capacities to make that statement. Please enlighten us so we can have all of your knowledge.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hmmmmm, First, congratulations on the announcement of your new truck. As an owner of Ford trucks for nearly 40 years and exclusively Ford vehicles for well over 35 years, I have no doubt the "new 2017 SuperDuty" will be a great truck and an awesome tow vehicle. I do hope it works out for you just as you envision. Truth is, however, the towing and payload specs are still "TBD" on the new vehicle, so there's still a possibility that Ford will "rate the truck" as capable of legally towing your rig. Key being, "Possibility"...

Second, I'm not a lawyer, never claimed to be, and even if I were, I seriously doubt I'd want anything to do with that kind of case, so, as for me, no thanks, you're on your own if anything happens.

Third, The Space Shuttle was "towed almost 300 feet" by a Toyota as an "opportunity" for an advertisement. The reason a small vehicle was used to tow across the 405 freeway overpass was the bridge weight limit. Seems the shuttle and its "normal tow truck" were too heavy, so a smaller vehicle was required to keep the Manchester Avenue overpass from "crashing down" onto the freeway. Toyota was chosen because of a 20 year old "working partnership" agreement with the California Science Center (where the Endeavour is displayed). Engineers calculated that any vehicle that was capable of generating roughly 400 foot pounds of torque could have easily towed the shuttle. A conventional aircraft tow truck was initially scheduled for the job, but Toyota came up with the idea as an advertising opportunity. Incidentally, the Tundra is on display at the Science Center along with the shuttle.

Finally, and most importantly, this forum exists to allow the "free" exchange of information, ideas and assistance for owners of Keystone RV's and those who may be interested in the Keystone products. The forum has always held the concept of safety in operation and use of any RV as important and has never condoned any unsafe or unlawful activity. The quick review of the vast majority of threads through the years will confirm that all members (with very few exceptions) support the responsible and safe operation of our RV.

For most of us, the responsibility of keeping the RV lifestyle available without further restrictions imposed by federal, state and local authorities is incumbent upon following the laws and rules that exist. Safe operation of any vehicle is a personal responsibility, one that any RV owner should never take for granted. Their life, the lives of their family and the lives of anyone who "shares the road" with them must be considered. Anything less is irresponsible and shouldn't be condoned. The individual acts of any one person can adversely affect all of us when those actions cause any governing authority to impose stricter rules on the use and ownership of RV's. So, we all have some "skin in the game" even if we're located hundreds or even thousands of miles from someone who "thumbs their nose at the law". Simply put, I don't want the government telling me what "I HAVE TO DO" because someone else didn't do "WHAT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DO."

I again urge everyone who shares the RV lifestyle to consider how their individual actions can affect each of us. Safety and responsibility do go hand in hand.

It might be beneficial to take a moment and review the FAQ's found here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/faq.php and here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=367

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #19
GMcKenzie

Quote:
T John on my posts just keep your comments to yourself.
There's a bright idea. Telling a forum moderator not to read your posts.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #20
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

I wonder how some of these RV'ers make it through life worrying about so many things.

They probably freak if they see mattress tags removed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread