Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
gregsimard

Trailer is not stable when parked

We have a 246rbs, and no matter what I do, the trailer jiggles and wiggles when one of us walks inside the trailer. I put the tounge jack and the four stabilizer jacks down 'till they all have some weight on them. Not enough to lift the trailer, but they all are tight. I also put 4 tire chalks under the tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks
gregsimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
therink

Here is what I do:
1) when backing into campsite, and setting wheels, first off Iiuse a good set of heavy duty wheel chocks (not the $5 plastic). I then back up onto rear chock enough so that the tire is almost riding up it and then set the truck parking brake. I then jam the front chock in at the front of tire, and then release parking brake. This sets the wheels very firmly avoiding most fore aft movement.
2) I have Bal locking stabilizer bars installed on my scissor jacks and landing gear. These things minimize 90% side to side movement. The Bal stabilizers run about $90 per set and easy to install.

If I am at a site for more than a few days, I may put a bottle jack under the frame near the axles to minimize suspension movement (bouncing) of the center frame. This works well for me.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
billb800si

The O.P. is referring to a travel trailer ( I believe). That being the case there's a couple of things you may want to try.
First make sure your tires have max pressure ( mine have 65 PSI). Because the trailer is resting on the tires you don't want them soft (rubber bounces).

Next there is a trick some use: they first level the trailer left to right and then front to back. Then people will lower the front hitch jack a little and snug up the rear stabilizers and finally raise the front hitch jack. This puts some pressure on the rear stabilizers.

Chocking your wheels is always a good thing because it not only reduces some shaking it also is a safety feature to prevent the trailer from moving once you disconnect your tow vehicle.
I have found that if you mount a pair of stabilizers just in front of the axle (on the frame) this also adds to stability.
Finally if all else fails then you may be a candidate for something like these:

or:
http://www.steadyfast.com/
or:
http://www.jtrv.com/our_products.html

Your choice.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Dutch & Di

I agree than an aftermarket permanently installed stabilizer system is the way to go. We have been using a different brand for almost 8 years and absolutely love them. Would never be without them. Hugs, Di
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Robby9

X-Chocks between the wheels will eliminate most of the wobbling you're feeling.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
dandjh1958

+1 on the X-chocks. They work great. Just remember to tighten up again after the tires cool off. I usually wait 30 minutes after initial setting.
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
KJcachers

I have 1 set of X-Chocks on mine and I still get the "bounce" especially in the rear bath. I'm thinking even with the stabilizers down we are getting spring flex due to the axles being in the middle. I have a friend who puts a couple bottle jacks under his frame near the axles and he is rock solid. It's my next mod for my camper. Just need to find a couple cheap bottle jacks at Wal-Mart and give them a try.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
BldrRob

+1 on the x-chocks! Won't go without them now. I also try to stabilize as much as possible because the shimmy and shakes bug me. We do the following:
X-chocks both sides (go pointer noted above about checking them after tires cool, thx for that!)
4 corner factory stabilizers (I've heard that the less you can lower them, aka add blocks, it will help the stability as well)
2 stabilizers under the living room slide out
1 jack stand on the back side of the stairs
And if I'm feeling ambitious then I'll add another jack stand by the rear stairs.
My buddies with their auto-levelers on their class A and class C laugh at me but our rig is ALOT more stabile than theirs any day of the week.

Good luck..
BldrRob is offline   Reply With Quote