Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Allanh

Cougar High Country 299rks -HATE IT!

What an incredible POS this thing is! In a very few uses, here is what has broken or fallen off:
Sliding wardrobe handles
Shower wand and faucet mixer
Screws in front stabilizer motor bar
End cap decals
End Cap clear coat fading (Even with a Duratain application)
Plastic fender covers (screws backing out, plastic cracking)
screwheads on exterior rusting
Main slideout cables constantly jamb at inside top of slideout
Floor vent register cover louvers breaking
Just so you know, I am 63, my wife is 62. We take really good care of our things and use them carefully. This unit is stored under cover all winter-not exposed. This is our fourth RV and absolutely our last Keystone product-EVER! We are going to Airstream if I can bring myself to actually sell this thing to another human being.

Moderator's Note:
This post, as submitted, was moved from the New Member Check In to this category.
Allanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum. One tidbit of data you didn't mention is how old your Cougar 299 RKS is. Keystone has made that model for a number of years. You do mention that it is stored under cover every winter which would lead one to assume that it isn't a new RV. How many years have you owned this RV?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Allanh

Cougar High Country

This unit is two years old. One of the first High Country 299rks to be sold in Oregon. It has been out only four times on trips here locally. Miles towed are less than 1500. Days out less than six weeks.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you got a bad one. Your experience is just the opposite of my recent purchase of a Cougar XLite 27RKS. I really had trouble trying to find anything wrong with it. Everything fits, works and looks good. How much of your problem list was addressed during the warranty period and how much has surfaced since the warranty expired? Hopefully with a little "elbow grease" and some good planning you can get that list down to something manageable and start enjoying your RV more. It seems a shame to spend that much money on a "toy" and only use it 4 times in two years. It almost seems simpler and cheaper to just rent a condo or stay in motels and avoid the hassles, eh?

I had an Airstream in 1968 (back when they were a really good RV) and the electrical cord fell out of the bottom of the bumper storage rack and dragged along the ground on the way home from picking it up new. Then, on the way back to get that repaired, the table fell off the wall and cut the upholstery on the sofa and damaged the carpet such that both of them needed to be repaired. The "Univolt" system never really worked and we were always waking up cold when the furnace would be shut off because of low voltage being sensed by the "Univolt" even when we were plugged into shore power and there was no "low voltage".

Oh, just so you know, THOR, the parent company for Keystone also owns Airstream, so there's no getting away from the "management philosophy" at Keystone by going to Airstream. The same boss runs both of them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Allanh

Cougar High Country 299rks and end cap fading

Look, This isn't my first rodeo. We use our fifth wheel only a few times a year and stay in one of our vacation homes other times, or spend time abroad. That said, the issues with the High Country are inexcusable for as little use and meticulous care that it has received. I am in the process of communicating with Keystone, our dealer and Duratain to see who will fix this problem. I took care of the other repairs myself as I live 180 miles from the dealer. This end cap fading issue and subsequent bad die lot replacement decals is a much larger issue. I have been copying my attorney on all correspondence, even though I hope it won't take legal action to resolve this.
I am aware that Thor owns Keystone and builds Airstreams. I also know that anything that moves will break eventually. breakages should all be relative to use and care, like I said.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Yee haw!!!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanh View Post
Look, This isn't my first rodeo. We use our fifth wheel only a few times a year and stay in one of our vacation homes other times, or spend time abroad. That said, the issues with the High Country are inexcusable for as little use and meticulous care that it has received. I am in the process of communicating with Keystone, our dealer and Duratain to see who will fix this problem. I took care of the other repairs myself as I live 180 miles from the dealer. This end cap fading issue and subsequent bad die lot replacement decals is a much larger issue. I have been copying my attorney on all correspondence, even though I hope it won't take legal action to resolve this.
I am aware that Thor owns Keystone and builds Airstreams. I also know that anything that moves will break eventually. breakages should all be relative to use and care, like I said.

Your dealer should help you out.
But if you start off with I know it and my attorney well.....

And by the way to the site
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Allanh,

I call your attention to the disclaimer located at the bottom of every forum page. Please read it. We are a group of Keystone RV owners and prospective owners who, for the most part are happy with our RV and enjoy them as much as possible. We aren't associated with Keystone RV, don't have any connection with the company and don't have any "in" to help with issues brought to the forum. Your problems with Keystone are between you and the company, and apparently your attorney. We all wish you luck with finding a suitable resolution to your issues, but sorry, nobody here can help you other than offer some "sage" advice.

Again, good luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS