Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Sydvero

Keyless entry

I have a keyless entry pad on my 5 month old Springdale. Hyped up big time by the salesman. I have had nothing but trouble with it since I took delivery. Changed batteries 3 times, cleaned contacts, caulked around pad to keep moisture out(not done by installer) to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated or just use keys and chalk it up to a waste of money.
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're relatively close to the dealer, take it back with instructions to : "FIX THIS DA*NED THING!"

Without knowing which brand of keyless entry you have, it's hard to provide any actual advice, but many here have had issues with the technology. Some have simply given up and don't use it, others have attempted to master the "art" of keeping the keypad functional. More information on what brand and what is actually happening would help you to get specific advice for that problem.

As for water leaking into the lockset, that doesn't say much about the care or expertise afforded you by the installation crew. Remember, you can always order another manual lockset from FIC for about $40 and resolve the issues of water damage and inoperable keypads. Hopefully someone will offer their repair experience once we know what lock you have.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Sydvero

Keyless entry

John, only thing I see on this is www.rvlock.com. I wish I had confidence in my selling dealer fixing it but I don't. I think it only has a 3 mo. Warranty which says a lot but I will double check that.
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The installation instructions on the website are very straightforward. There's what looks like 5 screws to remove to completley take the lock out. Cleaning it, reinstalling it with a new battery and recoding the faceplate may be all that's required. If not, yes there's a 90 day warranty. Seems strange that for $200, you can buy the lock, then add $60 for a 3 year or $70 for a 5 year extended warranty.

It may be cheaper in the long run to buy the extended warranty and keep having the dealer replace the lock until you finally get a good one

I'd be inclined to change the battery and reset the faceplate before going too much further.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
lorax614

Keep us posted on how this works out. DW and I decided to look into a keyless system for our TT so we don't have the kids losing keys. The rvlocks.com is the most appealing because of the key fob and keypad. But if the system is a lot of trouble maybe we'll look at a different one.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Carmen D

Not a keyless, BUT, Smart Lock from Lowes

We bought a Smart Lock, yes, for a house/home lock and installed, from Lowes. You can program it to fit your home lock or any lock that the top notch (hope I am properly saying this) are even with each other. (I'll try to attach picture). We used our old ranch house key for our Passport lock, no extra key to carry, no batteries to change, just a little caulking around the dead bolt and the normal labor of cutting thru a door (allowed to cuss during this process) and installing, then line up the strike plate meets the frame. ( I must add that I did not do the work but watched the installation and I can add pictures of what the after looks like.) I feel like we have better security and I do not need to worry.
Texas Hill Country
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote