Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Jerryb1973

Propane remaining?

Newbie here: 5th wheel dual tank system---How can I determine the amount of propane I have left in the tanks? Surely I don't have to take them out and weigh them.
Jerryb1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
hankaye

Jerryb1973, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum
Weighting them IS the most accurate method,
don't forget to correct for temperature. Subtract the
total (gross), from the tare weight (stamped on collar).

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
theeyres

I take the easy way out. I don't worry about it and just let the automatic changeover do it's job. I check every once in awhile and if it has changed over I take the empty tank for a fill-up. I know, roughly, how long a tank lasts depending on how much I'm using and that judges how often I check for an empty tank.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
floatflyer

Weighing the tank is the only accurate method. Propane liquifies at a fairly low pressure so the pressure gauges are not an accurate measurement tool. I think most of us have learned by experience about how long a tank lasts in given use situations and use that as a guide. For me, a tank is good for about three weeks in winter and double that in summer. Live and learn. But weighing the tank is the only accurate measurement.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
KanTC

There are inexpensive propane tank level 'indicators' that you can purchase, but we've never used one
so I can't offer first-hand experience on the accuracy. Might also be available at your local dealer.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...indicator/4317

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/l...vel-sensor.htm

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
T11ravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I take the easy way out. I don't worry about it and just let the automatic changeover do it's job. I check every once in awhile and if it has changed over I take the empty tank for a fill-up. I know, roughly, how long a tank lasts depending on how much I'm using and that judges how often I check for an empty tank.
How do you know it's changed over? I there an indicator somewhere?
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
TandE

On the changeover valve the indicator behind the glass will show red and whatever cylinder the lever is pointing to (the black plastic one has an arrow on it) is the one that is empty. Turn the lever towards the other tank remove empty one and refill. Repeat when it does it again.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
PND

One trick is to check our tank for condensation around the bottom. As the tank empties, it will get cold at the bottom. Propane is like a refrigerant (and used as such rarely) so as the pressure drops, the tank will get cold. I mark my tanks with the date refilled, and since most of my trips are short (3-4 days) I run on one tank and watch it. If the cold area gets real low, I change tanks with the manual/auto valve. Once retired, probably will put in auto (longer trips). Trial and error!!

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
GaryWT

I just screw on a gauge every once in awhile.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
twstdpear

I've seen tanks at Costco the past couple of springs that had built-in float gauges. Since these rely on a float instead of pressure, they should be a much more accurate indication of how much LP you have. Unfortunately, those were only 20lb tanks.

I'm sure someone sells 30lb tanks with a float gauge, but I haven't looked since mine are brand new.

For this and our previous trailer, I mostly just use(d) the "wait until the primary tank runs out and the changeover starts drawing from the standby" method described above. If it were winter, I'd probably consider bringing one of my spare 20lb tanks with me if I suspected one of my tanks was getting low. Much like wine glasses with different levels of water in them, there's a fairly noticeable difference in the tone of the ring between a full and empty when you rap the side of the tank. It can be used to provide a gross measurement. I can easily tell the difference between full, half and empty.

EDIT:
Found some aluminum tanks with gauges: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-169.htm $$$$
and steel ones: http://www.propanetankstore.com/shop...er-with-gauge/ $$
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
floatflyer

Google propane tank pressure. I had hoped to find a pressure gauge that would work but found that since propane (liquified petroleum gas) is a liquid in the tank and the gas pressure remains relatively constant until the tank is nearly empty, a gas pressure gauge is not a good indicator. From watching the green/red gauge on the switchover valve on my rig it shows green until the tank is virtually empty. I mean there may be 5% left in the tank before it starts showing any red. That's why I use only weight and experience. Nothing else seems to be reliable.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
crash

Ours is the same ,green til almost out then red your out
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote