Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
medmundson

Estes Park

I am looking to drive to Estes Park this year and traveling I-80 west. I will be driving a 35' 5er and wanted to know if it is better to drive I-76 to HWY 34 and pass through Loveland or travel I-80 to Cheyenne and take I-25 down to Loveland? Also, is the grade difficult when driving HWY 34 through Big Thompson Canyon?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
warsw

Don't know if this will help much because we were coming from the west but we did go to Estes Park a couple years ago. We were pulling a 32' TT and we came across on I-80 and south to HWY 34 on I-25. Good roads all the way. HWY 34 through Big Thompson Canyon is really scenic. A little twisty but I don't remember anything being very steep.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
MarkS

I was in Estes Park last weekend. It's only an 80 mile drive for me.

I25 has some rough patches and has a lot of traffic. I76 is a good road and a little less traveled. I would just pick whichever is shorter for you.

Like warsw said, 34 is twisty, but not bad. The steep parts are mostly speed limit 45 anyway. I have a 34 ft 5er behind a 2011 Duramax and did not have any trouble. If you have a gasser, you may be flooring it in places. I find the return trip a little more challenging. Lots of downhill with twisty. Your brakes may heat up.

The elk wandered though our camp ground a few times. Have a fun trip.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
medmundson

Thanks

Thanks for the information from the both of you. We are looking forward to getting on the open road and doing some camping.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Little Guy

I-76 to hwy34 is the best way. No big hills, just some curves in the canyon but the road is in good condition and scenic. Enjoy Estes Park and Rky Mtn Nat Park. A side trip to visit the Stanley Hotel in Estes is interesting.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
gkainz

Side note on the Stanley Hotel - my wife took her mom up there last month and they're now (or were then, at least) charging for parking to tour the hotel. I don't recall the cost, but irked her enough that they didn't go in.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
JeffS

Regardless of weather you take I76 or I80 then down I25 I would agree that 34 is the best route into Estes Park, did it last September. The one benefit to the I80 route is that you can spend the night in Sidney at Cabela's campground so you can SHOP!

If you plan to go up to the Alpine Visitor Center (ask them why the one building has the huge logs on its roof when you are up there) take the Fall River Road up, you can not take it down as it is one-way. The road goes through some great scenery and though it is dirt you won't have any difficulty with your truck managing it. Many of the areas in Rocky Mountain National Park have hikes lead by "Interpretative Rangers" which are well worth while. You should be able to get a listing of what is available on the day you visit from the Visitor Center. Yea, the Stanley costs but is worth a visit. If you have the funds take the Ghost Tour, ask for the tour lead by "Scarry Mary" if she is still there and be sure to see the antique fire trucks they have been acquiring.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote