Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
justlkn

I bought a Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge and just chained it to the plug. Doesn't stop a determined person but stops the casual walker by that has sticky fingers. I also bought a Prime Products 12-4058 AC Power Line Monitor to keep track of the voltage level. May not protect me and I may not need it but they do make me sleep better at night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C360_2013-06-19-20-06-49-162_resized.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	3436

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
randy69

I also bought a progressive with remote display I thought I would put it around the control panel. But no I can't because the wired plug in is at the bottom. Not the back. So the wires would show. Bummer. So put it in the front storage ceiling.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
I also bought a progressive with remote display I thought I would put it around the control panel. But no I can't because the wired plug in is at the bottom. Not the back. So the wires would show. Bummer. So put it in the front storage ceiling.
Yes my wire is on the bottom also. I put the remote display right on top of the control panel. You can't see the wire.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymon View Post
As a complete noobie to RVing, I can guess that the SSP50 is for 50 amp and the SSP30 is for 30 amp? Would one need both or just one? Do electrical plug ins at rv parks all have the same plug in feature?

Thanks!
I think the 30 and 50 amp plugs are different. Our electrical is 30 amp and required an adapter to hook up to a 50 amp service. I think this is to prevent hooking up a 50 amp RV to 30 amp service.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
halfprice

THe plugs on the power electrical pedistals are different for 30 and 50 amp. THe Power protectors are specific for either 30 or 50 amp units.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
T11ravis

OK, so I'm an electrical moron and need help.
What is the difference between the EMS-HW30C vs. the SSP-30?
Would I be getting that much extra with the EMS unit to justify the increased cost?

Thanks!
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #27
wva3185

Quote:
Originally Posted by T11ravis View Post
OK, so I'm an electrical moron and need help.
What is the difference between the EMS-HW30C vs. the SSP-30?
Would I be getting that much extra with the EMS unit to justify the increased cost?

Thanks!
Yes. You are more apt to have low voltage situations in a campground than an electrical surge. Two years ago while in TX for the winter I had the SSP-30 and it took a jolt when a bad storm went through the area. BTW I sent it back to Progressive and they repaired it for free. But this year I bought the true EMS. Last year at the seasonal site here in WV during real hot weather and everyone was running the AC the power would go off. Well this year the owner "fixed" the problem by splitting our circle off on a separate circuit. Now instead of the overload popping the main breaker the voltage just plunges. The EMS took me off line 7 times in one day when the weather was hot and all the ACs were running. Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV. Some members of RV.NET claim that 104V is not good protection. They claim that it should be 108V. Since I am no electrical expert that one you would have to decide for yourself. It also protects against several other electrical issues as well. HTH
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #28
Bob Landry

After a lot of research I thought the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C was the most for the least. It covers a wide range of electrical issues that you might have with a power pedestal. Mine is under the rear table, but it can be mounted similarly in any cabinet the same way. I also installed it using interlocking 30A plugs so it can be removed if necessary and the plugs reconnected to reestablish shore power.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
T11ravis

Great information.
Thanks guys!
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Charli

Just finished my install on the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. Was as easy as I thought it should be and much easier than I feared as I can sometimes make a simple project very complicated. My only question is does my A/C have a built in delay. I checked all my manuals and nothing on the A/C. It's a 13500 BTU on the unit shown in my sig below if anyone can confirm. I think I remember being told on our dealer walk thru that it had a delay built in. Am dropping in to the dealer next week to get the recall work done on the bumper so will ask to make sure. Nice to have the scrolling display. I'm sure I will be checking our Amp draw every time we turn something on. As my DW says, small things amuse small minds.
Won't have time to get the add a room installed so will have to wait till end of July when we are back home. Heading west to Sask and Alberta but a couple of campsites are under flood watch so we may be changing our plans. What happened to Calgary makes you realize how small we are and how big Mother Nature is.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Tinbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
Just finished my install on the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. Was as easy as I thought it should be and much easier than I feared as I can sometimes make a simple project very complicated. My only question is does my A/C have a built in delay. I checked all my manuals and nothing on the A/C. It's a 13500 BTU on the unit shown in my sig below if anyone can confirm. I think I remember being told on our dealer walk thru that it had a delay built in. Am dropping in to the dealer next week to get the recall work done on the bumper so will ask to make sure. Nice to have the scrolling display. I'm sure I will be checking our Amp draw every time we turn something on. As my DW says, small things amuse small minds.
Won't have time to get the add a room installed so will have to wait till end of July when we are back home. Heading west to Sask and Alberta but a couple of campsites are under flood watch so we may be changing our plans. What happened to Calgary makes you realize how small we are and how big Mother Nature is.

When I installed my EMS a couple of months ago I could find no information on the AC time delay circuit so I called Coleman and talked to an AC tech at the factory. His answer for my model AC, no time delay use the longer delay built into the EMS.

So that is what I did.
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #32
wva3185

Curious?

Even if the AC had a delay what harm would there be if you used the extended delay on the EMS anyway? I have the portable EMS and I don't think it can be adjusted. Or at least I didn't read it in the papers that came with it.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote