Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
raytronx

Some info for those visiting Victoria, BC

Victoria is my home town, the other day I headed down to the Inner Harbour and acted like a tourist snapping some shots. It really is a spectacular place to visit. There is a new post on my blog detailing the stuff you can see down there and lots more photos.

Here is the RV related info:
As for RVing, this is an RV blog after all, your choices for RV parks close by is fairly limited. By far the neatest place to stay is at the West Bay Marine Village RV Park. It’s located in nearby Esquimalt but the best reason to stay is the Victoria Harbour Taxi boats stop there, so you can catch one and be in Victoria’s Inner Harbour in a 10-15 minutes. Only thing is it’s got a limited number of spaces and may be difficult to get into during the summer high season. Next is the Fort Victoria RV Park located about 20 minutes away in View Royal. It’s your standard RV Park and a decent choice for visiting as it is centrally located to the Victoria area. My favorite place to stay is Oceanside RV Resort out towards Sidney, BC. It’s around a half hour drive into Victoria to see the Inner harbour but the trade-off is it’s a little easier access for a big rig, close to the BC Ferries terminal at Swartz Bay and a gorgeous park. Check out my recent review. Also world-famous Butchart Gardens is located out this way and you’re going to want to visit there for sure when in Victoria.
Those are the three I would advise, there are other’s that are a little further afield, you can check here for a listing of RV Parks in the area. Also on a recent visit down to the harbour area I noticed a parking lot with several RV’s in it, so there is a possibility of parking your RV down there but if it was me I’d leave the rig behind. Victoria’s downtown and harbour areas are difficult spots for maneuvering big rigs and finding decent parking spaces. They are best explored by foot, especially on a busy summer day.

Cheers Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
TandE

Thanks for the advice on places to stay. Even though I am just across the border I have never been there before even though people say it is worth it and a beautiful place.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
crash

Wow nice looking place ,for posting those pictures.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
jsmith948

Ray - Thanks for the great pics. Back in the mid eighties, used to take the MV Coho over from Port Angeles with a semi loaded with produce for either General Produce just up on the hill from customs or over the hill into Duncan. Great place - great people - it's on my bucket list to go back

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
raytronx

You're welcome.

The only drawback to visiting is the costly ferry trip on an off the Island. Runs around $220 each way for my 45 feet. So if you come to the Island it's worth planning on staying awhile. There is lots to see, the Island is fairly big. A couple weeks could be spent exploring it no problem.

To just visit Victoria, and don't want to spend the extra on bringing the rig, you could day trip from Port Angeles on the MV Coho as a walk on passenger.
It runs back and forth from Port Angeles to Victoria several times a day, and docks right in Victoria's harbour , the trip is about 1.5 hours.

Ray

LoveYourRV.com
Old 08-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Ray - Thanks for the great pics. Back in the mid eighties, used to take the MV Coho over from Port Angeles with a semi loaded with produce for either General Produce just up on the hill from customs or over the hill into Duncan. Great place - great people - it's on my bucket list to go back
Cool, you wouldn't believe how much the city has grown since the eighties. Coho is a tough ferry for semi's with it's side door loading on the front, just the other day one of them clipped the sliding door passing through it. delayed the ferry for a few hours while they got a welder in.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
antiqfreq

I remember all those views from our trip the end of 2010........

awesome! Thanks for the reminder..........

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
You're welcome.

The only drawback to visiting is the costly ferry trip on an off the Island. Runs around $220 each way for my 45 feet. So if you come to the Island it's worth planning on staying awhile. There is lots to see, the Island is fairly big. A couple weeks could be spent exploring it no problem.

Ray
OMG! I never imagined it would be that expensive. We were planning to go there in 2 weeks. Already spoke with the folks at Fort Victoria RV Park and we were so excited. Sounds ridiculous but an added $440 to our trip budget might break the deal. I'm so disappointed. I read the ferry website but I guess I never found or looked for a section on the cost. Dang
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Paul -
I am guessing that this price that Ray quoted is the rate on the BC Ferries. There is another ferry route operated by the Washington State Ferries that runs from Anacortes, WA to Victoria or Sydney (very close by). Try checking their schedule and rates and see if you can save some money by going this route.

Also, if you do decide to use BC Ferries, I would recommend that you get a reservation - otherwise you might be waiting in line for a while. Of course, there is fee of $15 for this - providing you make it 7+ days in advance, otherwise it is $18.50.

And to think that these ferry routes are supposed to be included in our highway system! If so, why are we paying such a huge toll to travel on them? But that's another story for the Campfire Chatter section......
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
raytronx

Ya , it sucks, we have to add 440$ to our snowbird budget every year just to get on and off the Island.

Here is the latest rate from BC Ferries, the COHO ferry from Port Angeles is similar cost.

PASSENGER VEHICLE - Excludes Driver & Passengers
Vehicle Length up to 20 feet 51.25
- extra length rate over 20 feet (per foot) 5.85

Trip is around 1.5 hours, great scenery during the sailing.

Ray

LoveYourRV.com
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Thanks for the replies guys. I think, since this part of our trip wasn't in our original planning, we might have to wait and do it some other time.

Let me ask a follow-up question, how is the biking around Victoria? Maybe an alternative although 3 hours on the ferry for a 1 day visit might be a little much and we'd have to bring our dog with us.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

Let me ask a follow-up question, how is the biking around Victoria? Maybe an alternative although 3 hours on the ferry for a 1 day visit might be a little much and we'd have to bring our dog with us.
If you take the BC ferry or the Washington State Ferry from Anacortes, WA, you will not land in Victoria. These two ferries actually dock in Sydney which is about 17 miles from there. I believe the ferry from Port Angeles, WA docks in downtown Victoria. This trip might be on one of the hydrofoils and wouldn't take 1 1/2 hours.

I'm not sure of what kind "visiting or touring" of Victoria you want to do while there. If it were me, I'd be tempted to get the Port Angeles ship and end up in downtown Victoria. There's lots to see and do while there either on a bike, walking or take a tour bus. Check with this ferry to see if they allow bikes to be taken onboard.

However, having a dog with you puts a few restrictions on what you can do and where you can go.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think, since this part of our trip wasn't in our original planning, we might have to wait and do it some other time.

Biking is very good in Victoria, It has a huge biking population due to the mild weather, and many trails and bike lanes.

I'd head to Port Angeles, park the RV in a cheap park there, take the COHO, which lands you in downtown and maybe spend the night at a hotel. Some are dog friendly. From downtown there is good biking along the Dallas road waterfront and into Beacon Hill Park area. You can even follow the coast around to Oak Bay, very pretty scenery.

LoveYourRV.com

Tags
harbor, vancouver island, victoria