Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
raytronx

Smile Stupid things I've done to cause damage RVing

Stupid things I've done to cause damage RVing

Threw up a video on YouTube showcasing my faux pas

Few lessons learned by being a stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveYourRV

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
f6bits

I vote for #1 as the most aggravating one.

I've run over my chock and now it looks like yours. Still usable, though.

Bummer about the bonus one. Did the shop pay for the tire?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I vote for #1 as the most aggravating one.

I've run over my chock and now it looks like yours. Still usable, though.

Bummer about the bonus one. Did the shop pay for the tire?
We were on week two of our 1 year trip so never did get back to the shop. Reminds me... they owe me a tire!

Ha, reminds me of another stupid thing when changing the tire, lucky it was the outside dually so never had any loss of control and was able to pull off into a farms driveway and they let me change it.

So I unhook and jack up the truck, wrestle with the jack and everything, unhook, re hook. I was such a newbie! I know now with an outside dually just drive up on a piece of wood on with the inside tire and the outside would be lifted.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Thanks for sharing.
I retracted the slide of my Artic Fox with a cabinet door open and it broke the mirror. On the Couger so far I left the folding door handle out as I drove out of campground. Saw it before pulling onto the county road. How it never hit anything is just plan luck. If you are like me, I check/recheck everything before moving but, still stuff happens.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Bean

Ran over a cheap chock. It exploded.

Left the stabilizer jack wrench lay on the tongue. Luckily it stayed until we got where we were going.

Backed into a fencepost with brand new trailer (was bringing it home from the dealer).

Forget to empty blackwater tank for 3 weeks in the summer. That smelled REAL GOOD.

Unhitched camper without chocks. It almost went into a stream behind our site.

Forgot to turn furnace off when closing up camper. Walked past a couple days later and heard it running.

In our pop-up, I put the sink/stove down while a nightlight was plugging into a receptical next to it. Broke the countertop corner off.

I'm sure there are a bunch more too...

Bean

2012 Ford F150 Supercrew 5.5' bed, 3.73 gears, Ecoboost engine, Max-tow package

2013 Savings account = $0 (LOL)
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
raytronx

Some good ones there, hehe
Twigged my memory, a few months ago I brought the trailer to house sit for my sister, so we stayed in her house and trailer in the driveway. Unloaded the fridge but being full time and not use to leaving the trailer I shut the fridge! Doh! Couple weeks later, mold city! and I had missed a pack of frozen spinach in the freezer door, ugh lucky the weather had being mostly cool.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Ran over a cheap chock. It exploded.

Left the stabilizer jack wrench lay on the tongue. Luckily it stayed until we got where we were going.

Backed into a fencepost with brand new trailer (was bringing it home from the dealer).

Forget to empty blackwater tank for 3 weeks in the summer. That smelled REAL GOOD.

Unhitched camper without chocks. It almost went into a stream behind our site.

Forgot to turn furnace off when closing up camper. Walked past a couple days later and heard it running.

In our pop-up, I put the sink/stove down while a nightlight was plugging into a receptical next to it. Broke the countertop corner off.

I'm sure there are a bunch more too...

Bean

LoveYourRV.com
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
f6bits

Oh yes, the "leaving stuff out" syndrome. I lost the cover to my tongue jack that way. Fortunately, I found a better one for not a lot of money to replace it. The new one is pretty flexible so I don't even need to remove it to operate the switch.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
eds451

Ray, I love your posts and can totally relate to too many D'OHs!!!
1. tore roof on trip home from dealer, trying to park under a too low tree.
2. Scratch/dent on side when I got mad about the roof!!
3. Run into wall across alley when trying to back in. (fixed that with dolly!!)
4. Did the slide out screw mod D'OH when adding sliding trays under benches.
5. "removed" roof vent cover when parking at campsite (another low tree)

I have a good friend also with a 5er. We often compare D'OHs!!

Your Utah hwy 12 blog has inspired me to go this fall. Let's see how many D'OHs I can do then!!!!

Gary in California where the current temp is 104. Down from 108 earlier.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
theeyres

You guys are all so-o-o-o-o lightweight. I turned a corner inWhitefish, MT, and didn't see the big western style overhanging roof. Caught the canopy, ripped the side filon and pulled the rear cap off the fifth wheel. It took one month and $10,000 to repair the damage. Fortunately, insurance picked up most of the tab but it was still an unplanned one month stay in Boise, ID to get it repaired. Talk about STUPID! And I could blame nobody but me.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds451 View Post
Ray, I love your posts and can totally relate to too many D'OHs!!!
1. tore roof on trip home from dealer, trying to park under a too low tree.
2. Scratch/dent on side when I got mad about the roof!!
3. Run into wall across alley when trying to back in. (fixed that with dolly!!)
4. Did the slide out screw mod D'OH when adding sliding trays under benches.
5. "removed" roof vent cover when parking at campsite (another low tree)

I have a good friend also with a 5er. We often compare D'OHs!!

Your Utah hwy 12 blog has inspired me to go this fall. Let's see how many D'OHs I can do then!!!!

Gary in California where the current temp is 104. Down from 108 earlier.

Thanks Gary. That area of Utah is awesome, I'm hoping to at least get back to Zion this fall, loved Utah. It was up near 85f here in Victoria,BC today, that is pretty warm for us. 108f reminds be of a few days I spent in Needles, Ca and it was only early June then. Too Hot for me!

LoveYourRV.com
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
You guys are all so-o-o-o-o lightweight. I turned a corner inWhitefish, MT, and didn't see the big western style overhanging roof. Caught the canopy, ripped the side filon and pulled the rear cap off the fifth wheel. It took one month and $10,000 to repair the damage. Fortunately, insurance picked up most of the tab but it was still an unplanned one month stay in Boise, ID to get it repaired. Talk about STUPID! And I could blame nobody but me.
Yipes! That's a harsh one.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Martydonna

Ray, can you tell me a little about your truck? I have a 1996 F350 7.3. With all the pulling you do and miles that you have traveled, how many miles do have on your truck? and do you have any mod done to it? Tranny etc.

Thanks Marty/Donna
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Marty & raytronx -

We seem to be getting sidetracked from the original topic of this thread --- "Stupid Things I've Done to Cause Damage RVing"...........

If you want to discuss trucks, perhaps starting another thread in the Tow Vehicle section might be the best option. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
turbopilot51

I guess this one counts. I forgot to lower landing gear before unhitching fiver. Ouch that one hurt!
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Dwighop

Forgot to close emergency window in master bedroom. Wasn't exactly in good shape when we got to the campground.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Dogman

first trip with new trailer. Forgot to lower Antenna broke that. due to longer trailer when I left camp turned to tight and clipped back piece of molding, could have been a lot worse. Forgot to shut top on propane cover and that was gone when I got home.I had my old passport 3 years and only lost the flap out of the range hood.
2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Rusty

Ahh where to start!

1) backed our Westwind 5er into the woods, not really aware that I had gone and parked it slightly downhill, lowered the front legs, then went to unhitch and it rolled back about 12 inches!

2) Ripped the roof on the Thor Jazz somewhere between Michigan and Ontario, got a quick fix in North Bay, then got back to Calgary where the Insurance company paid the $8,000 bill on that, if not I was willing to let the repair stand!

3) Like you I have almost had a canopy rip off the trailer when filled up with rain water!

4) Used to use cement blocks on the front legs until once with the Westwind I heard a crack and looked over and one of the blocks had a hairline crack in it and it fell apart. I yelled to my wife and told her NOT to move as I had to hook up pronto, went home (we were parked in the local Provincial Campground so I didn't have to go to far) cut up a bunch of pressure treated 4 x 4's and have used them up until this year on the new Cougar.

5) One rig that we owned was the Westwind, and I pulled it with a 96 Chevy diesel (which over heated when it seen a slight uphill climb, fixed that when I traded it for a 3500 Longbox Cummins Dodge!!!! LOL).......anyway we were driving around the prairies lost, seen a farm and figured that he would have enough to turn around, now the Chebby was a short box and as I was cranking around I seen the front of the trailer was pushing down on the Delta box, enough that I am sure I bent the darn box!

Now that is only 5 Do'h's I am sure I could find a few more in the cobwebs of my mind........

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
MarkS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Ahh where to start!

1) backed our Westwind 5er into the woods, not really aware that I had gone and parked it slightly downhill, lowered the front legs, then went to unhitch and it rolled back about 12 inches!

2) Ripped the roof on the Thor Jazz somewhere between Michigan and Ontario, got a quick fix in North Bay, then got back to Calgary where the Insurance company paid the $8,000 bill on that, if not I was willing to let the repair stand!
1) Having the 5er move after I unhitched, has been one of my nightmares. Yikes. Maybe I'll buy additional set of chocks.

2) Been there. A tree jumped out and ripped the roof on my old Cruiser 5er.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
f6bits

Dang it. A new one for the list. I clipped an overhang in a parking lot. I thought I was clear of it. Luckily, the damage is minor *and* in decal territory. Patching compound and decal ordered for a grand total of about $30.

2011 Passport 2590BH