Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Jeebs79

Bit the bullet

I finally decided on a new tow vehicle and picked it up the other night. I found a 2011 Ram 3500 Diesel Dually Laramie (leather, nav, backup camera, sunroof, sliding rear win), 3.73 longbed with 9k miles, RhinoLiner and a 5th wheel hitch already installed.

I have been using a 2010 F-150 to tow my 2012 Cougar 29RBK since I got it in May. From day one, I knew I was very close to the line on payload with the Ford, so I have been looking at trucks and stuff for months now. I finally got a chance to weigh it and the camper a week ago and found out I was 600lb over on my rear axle weight. This was all the motivation I needed to get moving on a new truck.

Both my wife and I are really happy with the truck, very comfy and the ride is way better than I thought it would be.

The only challenge is the fuel economy. Right now it seems to be doing about 13-14 MPG. I understand that deleting the EGR will improve the mileage by 3(ish) mpg. I am not too worried about warranty but if I do the delete, will I fail emissions tests?

Is there a web site or page that explains all of these performance deletes along with a description of the benefits and risks associated with each? I want to improve the performance of the truck, just don't know where to start. Thanks.

Tim
Jeebs79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The best source of that kind of info for your truck is Turbo Diesel Register The TDR magazine is good also. The website is broken down by each generation of Ram/Cummins models ... yours is a "Fourth Generation". Congratulations on your new to you TV. I wish I could see your face when you first tow with it. Careful, that smile may break your face, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Jeebs79

Thanks Hank. I've hitched it up once so far and cant believe the difference. I'm looking forward to camping next week and we are already planning for a trip to the Midwest at least once next year.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs79 View Post

The only challenge is the fuel economy. Right now it seems to be doing about 13-14 MPG. I understand that deleting the EGR will improve the mileage by 3(ish) mpg. I am not too worried about warranty but if I do the delete, will I fail emissions tests?

Tim
Tim, I can't speak for NC but NJ does not test diesel emissions over 9000lbs GVW. You may be exempt also. Travel safely, Hank
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
jbsmith

Quote:
...with 9k miles,
You should see mileage improve once you get a few more miles on it. Don't drive the CTD like a gasser and you'll get better mileage. Keep RPMs low and run it at a constant speed/RPM if at all possible. 14 to 16 MPG combined is about average on these trucks. Don't trust the MPG display...it lies!!!!! I use http://fuelly.com to keep track of mileage. You can visit the site to see what others are getting with the same vehicle.

Personally...I enjoy dropping all that torque to the tires and letting the turbo scream...but fuel eco suffers accordingly!!!

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Jeebs79

I just checked NC DMV It looks like diesels don't get emissions tested at all. Sweet!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
smiller

Quote:
The only challenge is the fuel economy. Right now it seems to be doing about 13-14 MPG.
Do you mean towing or empty? If towing that sounds reasonable, if empty that seems pretty bad, as in something is wrong bad.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Do you mean towing or empty? If towing that sounds reasonable, if empty that seems pretty bad, as in something is wrong bad.
The something that is wrong is the the way the government has ruined diesel engines. Don't get me wrong I am definitely against pollution, but .... If you have an engine that is getting over 20 mpg then have to make it bigger, use noxious chemicals or heavy metals to reduce the mpg to 13 or 14 where is the reduction in pollution since you have to produce and transport more fuel. The oil companies love it.

Okay ... Now I feel better.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Jeebs79

Right, I'm getting 13-14 empty.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
smiller

Quote:
That sure doesn't sound right to me. The 6.7 is down a few MPG from prior-generation ISB engines but that sounds too low to be normal, even for a new engine.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

As it breaks in and his right foot realizes that it does not have to prove anything the mileage will improve. And don't believe a thing the overhead tells you except direction of travel. Although it is cool to watch it go up to over 40 mpg while coasting down hill.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
jbsmith

Quote:
Is that combined or highway? What speeds? Calculated or off the display? What rear end do you have? Engine mods/tuner? Tires/pressure?

There are a lot of factors that can influence your mileage. I usually get about 14 mpg combined with my 2005 5.9L 4x4 SRW with 3.73. Most of my driving is city. On the highway I average around 18 mpg depending on speed, traffic, etc. Empty, I can get 20+ if I slow WAY down. Pulling I consistently get 10-11 mpg.

B&W Companion
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
Jeebs79

Good points JB. The truck is brand new to me and I need to get accustomed to it. At the same time it should be better than it is. No worries though. I'm loving this truck. All my neighbors are impressed too.

Tim
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
wincrasher

I'd go with extreme caution on removing any of the emissions equip from your truck. We had guys at work, who a pretty competent mechanics, and they screwed em up royally - and by violating their warranties, Dodge wouldn't help them. Just saying that you need to research completely and not take the word of a few armchair mechanics on these forums.

Personally, I like the scrubber in these trucks. The DEF is easy to keep up with and fairly cheap. It is not toxic - it's just ammonia. In my work, we put these kind of scrubbers on big industrial boilers. Same principal, just smaller scale.

On my truck, the tailpipe is cleaner than on my gas cars. There is no diesel exhaust smell at all. So I think it makes these trucks a lot more desirable to own.

My mileage is like others are reporting - 18-19 in mixed driving, around 21 on the highway. Around 12-13 when towing, slightly higher in flat land.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
Jeebs79

Wincrasher, would your thinking change if you were getting 13 around town and 17 highway? Just askin.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

It is not toxic - it's just ammonia.
I have to disagree with that statement. Having been exposed to ammonia gas several times in my career, I can tell you it can be deadly and very reactive with other materials. JM, Hank

ALSO!
The Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel meets stringent 50-state emission requirements without the need of diesel exhaust fluid. The 2011 Ram is THE ONLY Diesel truck on the market for 2011 in the US that DOES NOT require DEF. The absence of DEF will undoubtedly save Ram owners time and money throughout the life of the truck. (Trucks equipped with DEF will not run unless there is DEF in the tank.)
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
jbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The DEF is easy to keep up with and fairly cheap.
Keep in mind we're not talking about DEF motors here...this is the 6.7L Cummins in a RAM. The RAM uses exhaust gas recirculation through a diesel particulate filter. During a regeneration cycle the truck burns a bunch of fuel to supposedly clean the DPF...at least that's what it's supposed to do. This has been the source of lots of trouble (for some) with plugged DPF. Personally I suspect they had other issues that contributed to the problem. Although you don't have to mess with diesel emission fluid, you don't get as good of mileage as the D-Max.

To keep up with EPA regs, Dodge/RAM is moving to DEF with the 2013 model year...luckily they've already been shaking these DEF motors down with the chassis cab models for a couple of years. Once they go DEF, most of the current deletes and plug in tuners will be obsolete. I wouldn't touch a DEF truck...but deleting the EGR/DPF is relatively simple with the current gen motors in the RAM.

Hank: I believe the 2012 CTD is also the sole diesel truck in its model year without DEF.

B&W Companion
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

Thanks J.B., Since the OP has a 2011 I just targeted that year. Travel safely, Hank
Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
I finally decided on a new tow vehicle and picked it up the other night. I found a 2011 Ram 3500 Diesel Dually Laramie (leather, nav, backup camera, sunroof, sliding rear win), 3.73 longbed with 9k miles, RhinoLiner and a 5th wheel hitch already installed.

I have been using a 2010 F-150 to tow my 2012 Cougar 29RBK since I got it in May. From day one, I knew I was very close to the line on payload with the Ford, so I have been looking at trucks and stuff for months now. I finally got a chance to weigh it and the camper a week ago and found out I was 600lb over on my rear axle weight. This was all the motivation I needed to get moving on a new truck.

Both my wife and I are really happy with the truck, very comfy and the ride is way better than I thought it would be.

Is there a web site or page that explains all of these performance deletes along with a description of the benefits and risks associated with each? I want to improve the performance of the truck, just don't know where to start. Thanks.

Tim
Well it isn't the load that is for sure an 8K trailer behind a 3500 Cummins, is nothing!

I think your real issue is only 9K miles, you need at least another 9K to even start to break in that engine.

252K here on a 5.9, still pulling a 11.5K 5er just fine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote