Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #41
Desert185

Pretty good. Have you considered being a politician?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #42
larry337

All I really need to know is that Chevrolet is the one that made the commercial.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #43
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
All I really need to know is that Chevrolet is the one that made the commercial.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'm not wild about either brand, frankly. Nor am I wild about having a fragile bed that is easily damaged, or having to remove the cab to do certain things, or having DEF, or a deflated savings account because of what one has to pay these days for a truck, etc.

Guess I'll just stay happy with my old, adequately capable truck with a Rhino lined steel bed and an engine I can work on without removing the cab or utilizing the dark side of my vocabulary.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Pretty good. Have you considered being a politician?
I don't know that it "takes a politician" to realize that not many people are going to buy a $50K to $75K truck for personal use and then "beat hell out of it".

Using such a "tool" in a business venture where you can "write it off as a tax loss" is a different situation, not one available to most "recreational truck" owners.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #45
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I'm not wild about either brand, frankly. Nor am I wild about having a fragile bed that is easily damaged, or having to remove the cab to do certain things, or having DEF, or a deflated savings account because of what one has to pay these days for a truck, etc.

Guess I'll just stay happy with my old, adequately capable truck with a Rhino lined steel bed and an engine I can work on without removing the cab or utilizing the dark side of my vocabulary.
I wasn't trying to put down the chevrolet truck. I think they all have pros and cons and I like them all for different reasons. I'm just saying Chevrolet made an ad to discredit a Ford. So it is automatically biased and tainted in my opinion. Just like when they run the commercial claiming the Chevrolet HD trucks have the highest conventional tow rating in it's class. I don't know what they mean by conventional but I assume they mean weight distributing hitch because both Ford and Ram blow them away in fifth wheel tow ratings. Or like a couple years back when they made up a test to twist the frames of both trucks with 4500 lbs in the bed and the tailgate on the Ford buckled. Who would ever do that in real life? And besides the chevy has an independent front suspension and the Ford has a solid front axle so how do I know that didn't contribute to the Ford's tail gate popping? Or does that mean the Chevrolet is more flexible and the Ford is stronger until it reaches the breaking point? I'm just saying, it's advertising, period. So i take it with a grain of salt. I do believe however Chevrolet is a little testy about Ford being the number one seller for 30+ years and they try really hard in their ads to move that needle. In the end we the consumer win because because all three of them are cranking out a monster of a tow vehicle. Compare them all and buy what you like.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #46
Desert185

Agreed. There's something for everyone's tastes and fetishes out there.

Even though I have been a Chevy and a form follows function guy for decades, Dodge, IMO, has had the best styling since the 1994 body style change. Both the Ford and Chevy styling leaves me cold.

The Cummins, proven to be a million mile motor, won me over in the function and ease of maintenance department, but Chrysler automatics have disappointed me, so I have the stout NV5600. The Aisin seems to be an improvement, but time will tell if its up to the task like an Allison.

An aluminum bed for me isn't that big a deal, but people need to understand the drawbacks. For what its worth, the Chevy ad brings the drawback to light.

Like I said in a previous post, I'm happy that I'm happy with what I have.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #47
2014301ktmhauler

I am a Chevy fan. A 3500 P/U, 2500 Suburban , and 1966 vette my dad bought new are in my garage. I am Biased.
I work for the largest crushed stone company in the U.S. and we buy nothing but Ford trucks for use supporting the quarries. My aluminum 2015 F150 with factory sprayed in bed liner has held just as well as the steel bed with sprayed liner 2013 F150 it replaced.
Pick the brand truck you like and take care of it. Buy a dump truck if you need a dump truck.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #48
denverpilot

Ford aluminum bed vs steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Or like a couple years back when they made up a test to twist the frames of both trucks with 4500 lbs in the bed and the tailgate on the Ford buckled. Who would ever do that in real life?

There's a video of last year's Ford DRW and a Dodge DRW driven up on a ramp on one side only, leaving the other set of duals off the ground on the other side -- the Ford box twists badly in that configuration, even without weight in it.

I thought that was more "real world" with uneven surfaces than the weight based tests trying to fail things.

Whether any of us regularly take DRW trucks "off roading" enough to lift a set of duals off the ground is still very questionable, though. Haha. Probably not pulling a trailer.

But it's interesting maybe for someone pulling work trailers on a ranch or farm that's got a lot of uneven ground.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #49
Desert185

Larry337: "Who would ever do that in real life?"

Reminds of comments I've heard after aircraft accidents. Someone will always figure out a way to be stupid or exceptionally stupid.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #50
michael_h

Ford says it's military grade aluminum, what ever that means, Chevy says the bed was made from just aluminum, what ever that meant. I do know pound for pound aluminum is much more stronger & durable than steal . . . why is Chevy so worried about Ford having an all aluminum truck anyway, hell didn't Chevy put the first aluminum heads on motors in their cars and trucks?

What does it matter if you're happy with your truck?
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #51
SUnderwood

If GM says aluminum is such a inferior material and steel is superior , my question is why is the new corvette frame made out of inferior aluminum?
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #52
Desert185

Because it isn't a pickup bed that hauls damaging loads?

Just guessing...
Old 07-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #53
SUnderwood

bed liners seem like a simple solution to me for all trucks
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote